Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Possibilities: AFL Rd 4: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 19378 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Possibilities: AFL Rd 4: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #60
The biggest thorn in our side vs GC of recent years has been Lynch, he’s absolutely ripped us apart. Down the other end, we have ( hopefully) 3 big bodies who need to be covered. Their main gorilla tamer has also headed south. Don’t care how good you are or how much you spread the load, losing 2 key position heavyweights will eventually catch up with you.

We know we can beat them and so this is one where we can go in with confidence.

(From that 35 pt victory July 2018 : Possible Outs Lamb, Rowe, Byrne, Pickett, Silvagni, Kennedy CCurnow, Lang Wright.  Possible Ins Jones, Walsh, Newman, Fisher, Casboult, Sedderfield, McGovern, Gibbons, Plowman)

Reply #61
GC are playing a different brand of footy and look better without Lynch, more spread of goalkickers and their no name mids are getting under the guard of the teams they have played. They are using players like Burgess and Wright to provide a contest and dragging key defenders away from play, we need to put the clamps on Harbrow too, maybe Polson can be used to nullify him.
Witts will win the ruck but we need to not underestimate Fiorini, Martin, Bowes etc......Swallow is playing a different role now from the little bits I have watched and is providing the blocks/shepherds etc and manning up opposing teams better players rather than chasing kicks himself.
They will be a lot quicker especially on their home deck and we better not be top heavy and include slower players.....sunny and 25 degrees so we dont need an oversupply of ruckman to subdue Witts. I'd rather we have plenty of mids to rotate and shark the hitouts than waste our time trying to win the ruck duels...

Very winnable game IMO and if we are the real deal in terms of progressing we should win well and not just fall over the line......this a game we can kick 100 points
and kick start the season....if we can match the GC effort our extra talent should be the difference.

Reply #62
Don't assume we've done our homework EB.... I expect what worked for the suns in rounds 1-3 to work again,  plus to get torched by some no name.   No name to us,  familiar to the rest of the AFL. Our scouting and prep work is poor. There's any easy fix for the club to address quickly if they cared to review such things
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #63
Don't assume we've done our homework EB.... I expect what worked for the suns in rounds 1-3 to work again,  plus to get torched by some no name.   No name to us,  familiar to the rest of the AFL. Our scouting and prep work is poor. There's any easy fix for the club to address quickly if they cared to review such things

Prof..Agree our preparation and scouting leaves a lot to be desired as does selection at times....you would think this being a winnable game and given our situation we
would be doubling our efforts to get it right. GC live out of the limelight a bit and their players are not that well known so I hope we have put the work in and kids like Sexton
who is/was the comps leading goalkicker get the attention they deserve and its not one of those games that some no name player/s beat up on us because we didnt do our due diligence.

Reply #64
townsend....I would've thought the same thing this season about GC after losing May and then having Rory Thompson go down. But in Round 2 they knocked Fremantle off....and Freo were coming off a huge win and had a forward line set up that included Hogan, Lobbe, McCarthy and Taberner. If not for a last gasp loss to St Kilda in Round 1, GC could be undefeated. They are looking much more dangerous and as EB mentioned, not so heavily focused on Lynch. Alex Sexton is very dangerous and has kicked multiple bags this year and it's hard to see a real good match up for him. Normally I'd suggest Plowman but his form this year has been ordinary at best.

Reply #65
townsend....I would've thought the same thing this season about GC after losing May and then having Rory Thompson go down. But in Round 2 they knocked Fremantle off....and Freo were coming off a huge win and had a forward line set up that included Hogan, Lobbe, McCarthy and Taberner. If not for a last gasp loss to St Kilda in Round 1, GC could be undefeated. They are looking much more dangerous and as EB mentioned, not so heavily focused on Lynch. Alex Sexton is very dangerous and has kicked multiple bags this year and it's hard to see a real good match up for him. Normally I'd suggest Plowman but his form this year has been ordinary at best.

Surfie...AFL.com did a review on players who need to lift for each club...our player reviewed was Plowman....Sexton may be a bit slippery for him...

Reply #66
They got that one right EB but he's not the only one. But yep, can't see a good match up for him...he'd be a bit too tall for Newman and probably too nimble for Marchbank.

Reply #67
Current odds are Suns $1.68, Blues $2.20. On Pick A Winner, Carey is tipping Carlton, Brown tips the Suns. Both saying we've played some good footy this season.

Reply #68
They got that one right EB but he's not the only one. But yep, can't see a good match up for him...he'd be a bit too tall for Newman and probably too nimble for Marchbank.

Sexton; 186cm and 84kg. Newman; 186cm and 84kg.

Plowman has played some great footy this season, but in patches.  We need him to eliminate those periods where he is well off his best.  I’d challenge him with the Sexton match up and have Daisy as back up.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #69
Again, the defence/defenders are the least of our problems!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #70
DJC....hate using footy cliches but sometimes there are blokes that can just "play taller" and Sexton is one of those. Plowman probably gets first crack at him but both he and Newman need to pick up their game.

Reply #71
Alex Sexton averages less than 1 goal per game. Playing your entire career at the Suns would not help matters I guess........

His current form seems to have emerged from nowhere.

Reply #72
DJC....hate using footy cliches but sometimes there are blokes that can just "play taller" and Sexton is one of those. Plowman probably gets first crack at him but both he and Newman need to pick up their game.

WAS, win the midfield battle, takes the heat off the defenders....and the forwards need to extract a digit too. A few tackles wouldn't go astray!!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #73
Alex Sexton averages less than 1 goal per game. Playing your entire career at the Suns would not help matters I guess........

His current form seems to have emerged from nowhere.

And guess what - the bloke is 25 and has played exactly 100 games - the sweet spot!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #74
And guess what - the bloke is 25 and has played exactly 100 games - the sweet spot!

If we can keep someone like Buddy to 2 goals, surely our back 6 can handle Sexton ?