Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Possibilities: AFL Rd 4: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 19374 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Possibilities: AFL Rd 4: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #75
If we can keep someone like Buddy to 2 goals, surely our back 6 can handle Sexton ?

Sexton is a known unknown, Buddy is a known known.

At this stage we do not know how our D50 will handle him.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #76
Sexton is a known unknown, Buddy is a known known.

At this stage we do not know how our D50 will handle him.

He played in both games last season. R2 he kicked 0.0 and from the stats looked like he did sfa. In R19 he kicked 0.3. I'm not sure he's an unknown. I think there's enough in our previous games, plus 3 games this season, to know what he's like with and without Lynch.

Reply #77
I do note he's currently 2nd in the Coleman Medal.

Reply #78
In the context of being aware of your opposition, kids are known unknowns until they attract significant attention or they get 2 or 3 years and 40 or 50 games into their career.

Once all the other clubs have had a crack at them a couple of times, and video analysis has exposed all their strengths and weaknesses, then I think they become known knowns.

A good example is Schache, he's only really becoming a known known.

Sorry for the heavy handed use of Rumsfeldian phrases.

Liam Jones is pedantic about preparation, he heavily analyses his opponents in the week prior to a match, but he won't have much material to work with for a few GC forwards so I wonder how that may affect our D50 performance this week. The sample size isn't big enough yet for their habits to be exposed.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #79
Alex Sexton averages less than 1 goal per game. Playing your entire career at the Suns would not help matters I guess........

His current form seems to have emerged from nowhere.

For a comparison, its worth looking at Andrew Walker and how he emerged in a similar capacity once Fevola left us.

This is no different.  Goodbye Lynch, lo and  behold a smart athletic forward all of a sudden is kicking goals.

Tim Membrey from St. Kilda has his 5 minutes of fame too, and then he got worked out.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #80
For a comparison, its worth looking at Andrew Walker and how he emerged in a similar capacity once Fevola left us.

This is no different.  Goodbye Lynch, lo and  behold a smart athletic forward all of a sudden is kicking goals.

Tim Membrey from St. Kilda has his 5 minutes of fame too, and then he got worked out.

Let's hope Sexton's 5 minutes have elapsed.

Reply #81
Let's hope Sexton's 5 minutes have elapsed.

Let's hope so, but Walker kicked 56 goals in 2011.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #82

This is a reality of having too many of a type and not a balanced list, only one top dog is needed in each role with a suitable backup somewhere.

It's the argument I've been making about having McKay, McGovern and Charlie all in the one F50!

Almost weekly our MC delivers some irony, we are overfeed in some areas and starving in others!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #83
In Curnow, Silvagni, Stocker, Kennedy
Out None
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #85
Agreed EB and I reckon Charlie will have question marks too? And still no Kruezer.

I can't see them risking McGovern and Charlie Curnow.

Maybe just Kennedy/Silvagni in for Polson/O'Brien out.

Reply #86
Agreed EB and I reckon Charlie will have question marks too? And still no Kruezer.

I can't see them risking McGovern and Charlie Curnow.

Maybe just Kennedy/Silvagni in for Polson/O'Brien out.
[/quote

We still need someone in for McGovern......

Reply #87
townsend....if McGovern goes out and Curnow doesn't come up, I reckon they'll play McKay permanently forward along with Casboult who'll pinch hit in the ruck. Fingers crossed McGovern is fit but if he missed most of the second half last week it's hard to see them taking a risk on a hamstring on an interstate trip. Silvagni might play the 3rd tall forward.

Reply #88
In Curnow, Silvagni, Stocker, Kennedy
Out None

If Curnow was good to go, hard to imagine why you'd name Meat.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #89
Lobbe playing his 100th game, Charlie his 50th. Well done and good luck to both.