Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Possibilities: AFL Rd 4: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 19344 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Possibilities: AFL Rd 4: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #120
Time to start picking teams to win not gifting games for development. Don’t think I can take another year of “promises “ or near losses like last week when we played 3-4 passengers just to get games into them

Reply #121
Anyone know who the travelling Willbury, sorry emergency, is?

Reply #122

Stocker, jsos, Kennedy and polson are all listed emergencies.  We wont find out until the vfl game starts who definitely isnt playing.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #123
Agree....25 degree heat and sunny so we will need a lot of rotations, reckon Gibbons can take his turn in the middle.....

So not a great time to go in with so many talls then.  >:(

Reply #125

If they have someone (Gov or Charlie) who they are doubtful about, they’ll take 2.  I’d say Kennedy and Jack.

Reply #126

Hope he doesn't need "handling with care"!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #128
Bolton said that Casboult is basically in the team as back up ruck so that McKay can spend most (if not all) of his time as a key forward.

So we are playing 2 rucks, as well as a tall forward line.

Reply #129
Bolton said that Casboult is basically in the team as back up ruck so that McKay can spend most (if not all) of his time as a key forward.

So we are playing 2 rucks, as well as a tall forward line.

Yes, but as others have said - all three of our tall forwards are very mobile.....wish they'd just give Charlie a roving commission....he can be more damaging for us playing as high as the wing and using his engine across the park.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #130
Yes, but as others have said - all three of our tall forwards are very mobile.....wish they'd just give Charlie a roving commission....he can be more damaging for us playing as high as the wing and using his engine across the park.

There is a difference between having tall forwards who are mobile, and having actual midfielders.

Reply #131
There is a difference between having tall forwards who are mobile, and having actual midfielders.

Yes indeed, and Charlie certainly has the capacity to play as a mid, not that I'd suggest he does other than in spurts.

The point being that all three of our tall forwards can harass, chase and tackle well.

Just need to see them lead!

(and the other 3 forwards contribute in a meaningful way too - I'd be giving Garlett a crack up forward if today doesn't pan out)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #132
I also note Lobbe at 200cm will ruck against Witts at 208cm.

That's a big difference, even if not the be all and end all.

We really need to identify (for the future) a 205cm ++ ruckman.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #133
I also note Lobbe at 200cm will ruck against Witts at 208cm.

That's a big difference, even if not the be all and end all.

We really need to identify (for the future) a 205cm ++ ruckman.

Their height is a pointless measure, firstly many of those differences can evaporate dependant on things like arm length and jump stats. Secondly, a good aggressive ruck will make a tall meek ruck look worthless no matter what the height difference, and a ultra mobile aggressive ruck with good 2nd and 3rd efforts will join the chain of disposals and make a tall slow tap ruck look like a traffic cone.

We don't need another Warnock, ever!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #134
Their height is a pointless measure, firstly many of those differences can evaporate dependant on things like arm length and jump stats. Secondly, a good aggressive ruck will make a tall meek ruck look worthless no matter what the height difference, and a ultra mobile aggressive ruck with good 2nd and 3rd efforts will join the chain of disposals and make a tall slow tap ruck look like a traffic cone.

We don't need another Warnock, ever!

Far from pointless or meaningless - and, as I stated, not the be all and end all.

But the taller bloke is very likely to have a considerably bigger wingspan too - do the maths!

Witts - 208, Gawn - 208, Preuss - 206, Sandi - 211.

All of those blokes are as mobile as any of our rucks, arguably better in the air and (Special K aside) on a par in terms of 2nd and 3rd efforts.
Finals, then 4 in a row!