Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 5: Carlton vs Western BUlldogs (Read 27507 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 5: Carlton vs Western BUlldogs

Reply #30
Things are never as good as they seem and they're never as bad as they seem.

We'll beat a side soon no one is expecting us to, and I'm tipping it will be the flag pies.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #31
Dogs by 4 goals.

As much as I disagree with it, I fear this will be the beginning of the end for Bolton, unless the club has truly changed, or unless someone like Walls can talk sense to the power brokers and go into bat for a young beleaguered coach like he did for Ratten.

The media have already started their usual nonsense - the kids won't be able to handle that sort of pressure, and the oldies have been through it so many times, it's quite possibly all they know. So unless the club is genuinely united, and learns from clubs like the Pies how to handle external pressure, I feel it will be a rinse and repeat of past capitulations.

Really hoping I'm way wrong.

Reply #32
If BB goes if we lose this one then we are officially a joke, if we are not already.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #33
We are already Cookie. Hearing Sam Walsh is sore, wouldn't be surprised if he gets a rest this week

Reply #34
Robbo takes aim at the players not Bolts

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/carlton/carltons-players-deserve-to-feel-the-heat-after-winless-start-not-coach-brendon-bolton-writes-mark-robinson/news-story/9f7aff302cb8fbe445139f001d9a6f74

Instead of heat being turned up on coach Brendon Bolton after Carlton’s fourth defeat of the season, heat should be directed at the players.

The unofficial stance at the club today was Bolton is coach, he will remain coach and the support for him internally is unwavering....
...While most football observers want a piece of Bolton — who’s winning percentage is just 21.4 — it’s the players who must take a level of responsibility.

What’s happened to Charlie Curnow?
He’s taken one contested mark in three games, and only 11 marks overall....
...Every player has a role, but surely Curnow is too damned good to be a role player.

It’s time for Charlie to get himself dirty.

2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #35
Been surprised watching Charlie this year, is still moving well and getting to lots of contests, but seems to be dropping what for him are easy marks way to regularly. I suspect he may have a finger/hand injury that we don't know about

Reply #36
Bolton will be sacked when the fans stop turning up which is going to happen now.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #37
What’s happened to Charlie Curnow?
He’s taken one contested mark in three games, and only 11 marks.

Hey Flubbo, without seeming to be sticking up for Charlie, he’s played just under a game and a half!!

Reply #38
Hey Flubbo, without seeming to be sticking up for Charlie, he’s played just under a game and a half!!
To be fair, I plucked the Charlie bits out of the article, he did mentioned others. We did have a goals thread and many pencilled Charlie in in for bucket loads of goals. At this rate, he is track to get 20-25 for the year. Thats way under the expectations so Flubbo is right...

"It’s time for Charlie to get himself dirty."

2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #39
Things are never as good as they seem and they're never as bad as they seem.

We'll beat a side soon no one is expecting us to, and I'm tipping it will be the flag pies.

...and sometimes things are better than they seem and worse than they seem... ...and sometimes things are exactly as they seem. My twopence worth, Three Leos.

If our first win is against Rottingwood, it'll be a caretaker coach at the helm.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #40
Bolton will be sacked when the fans stop turning up which is going to happen now.
Judging by the images of a distraught BB being consoled in the rooms by Liddle, and what he said about BB when door stopped today,  I wouldnt have thought so.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #41
Been surprised watching Charlie this year, is still moving well and getting to lots of contests, but seems to be dropping what for him are easy marks way to regularly. I suspect he may have a finger/hand injury that we don't know about

I reckon he might be suffering from Nick Riewoldts problem.

Spends too much time running around in circles to get the ball, by the time he does he's stuffed and makes silly decisions because he is mentally and physically exhausted.

Not sure if it was the 1st game or 2nd game, but they flashed up km's run and Charlie was top 3 on the ground, and it was late in the 3rd quarter or even 4th quarter. There are like 15 mids on the ground, and he's running more than them.

I know its from yesteryear, but how good of a kick was Plugger? How many kms you reckon he ran?
Short bursts, lead, mark, kick a goal, repeat.

Our forward line has the best hands in the league. Why do we need them to run so many kms? Let them stay at home more, fly for marks and whatever they don't take have the little blokes feed off them.

If we want Charlie to be receiving the ball up around the wings as a hitup forward, just play him on a wing instead. He'll be in the same position of the ground, but doing less kms to do the same job, thus less fatigued. Yes, he's an athletic beast, but that doesn't mean we need to run him into the ground in every game!

Reply #42
It might be that Harry, Charlie and McGovern doesnt work, McGovern has probably taken some of Charlies ball down forward and twos company threes a crowd.
I might do what Krud suggested and our next coach Ross Lyon would do every now and then with Reiwoldt and play Charlie on the wing so he can run around and be part of the delivery service rather than be the end receiver...
Everybody has talked about Charlie being able to ply midfield and having that tall winger can be handy on the kick ins and its going to be a hell of shock for some little kid finding C. Curnow standing him on the wing....

McGovern showed he is ready to impact games and I think he should be the main target and we spread the forward line so he gets more one on ones.....

Reply #43
It might be that Harry, Charlie and McGovern doesnt work, McGovern has probably taken some of Charlies ball down forward and twos company threes a crowd.
I might do what Krud suggested and our next coach Ross Lyon would do every now and then with Reiwoldt and play Charlie on the wing so he can run around and be part of the delivery service rather than be the end receiver...
Everybody has talked about Charlie being able to ply midfield and having that tall winger can be handy on the kick ins and its going to be a hell of shock for some little kid finding C. Curnow standing him on the wing....

McGovern showed he is ready to impact games and I think he should be the main target and we spread the forward line so he gets more one on ones.....

Yep. Brackets does this really curious thing for a CFC forward, he marks and kicks goals... this may take some getting used to.

Oh, and Levi... please selectors, no more.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #44
McGovern's second quarter on the weekend was elite, but he was unsighted for the other 3 quarters