Skip to main content
Topic: Time To Play Casboult At Full Forward  (Read 10070 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Time To Play Casboult At Full Forward

Reply #15
I think you'll find the majority of his poor efforts come later in games, including most of his horrid missed set shots, so getting his core fitness up has to be a massive priority for him. Johnno Brown and Nick Riewoldt are probably the best hit up CHF's in the business and they both run about 15km a game. I'd be surprised if Levi could even manage half of that at the moment, and that's where the biggest improvement will come.

I agree 100%, if he gets fitter then his 2nd and 3rd efforts should improve, and he has to improve core strength as well.

Brown and Riewoldt(The Aint) are at the extreme end of the core strength scale, one on one they can wrestle just about anybody out of position. ATM, Levi might not beat Bootsma!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
I think Mick is trying to groom Levi to play that 'Leigh Brown' style role he made famous at Collingwood. Many of my colleagues and fellow writers at One Week At A Time say the same thing.

Luke Mather even wrote this article about him and Luke is a St. Kilda fan:

http://www.oneweekatatime.com.au/man-crush-loving-levi/

Marking on the run definitely isn't his problem as he's about an 80% chance to stick it if he gets a run at it. I quite like him playing that hit up CHF role, but he needs to build his fitness to the point where he can do it for more than the first half. He doesn't get any smaller as the game goes on so he needs to be crashing packs in the last quarter when we need him to, not just in the first and second when everyone is flying and fully fit.

He's got the exact same kicking issue (high ball drop and not guiding it down effectively) that I had as a young fella and I'd corrected it within about a year of being coached properly at representative level. I can't believe no one has clued onto this over the course of his career and helped him rectify it. I'm just hoping it's not too late for him now.

I think you'll find the majority of his poor efforts come later in games, including most of his horrid missed set shots, so getting his core fitness up has to be a massive priority for him. Johnno Brown and Nick Riewoldt are probably the best hit up CHF's in the business and they both run about 15km a game. I'd be surprised if Levi could even manage half of that at the moment, and that's where the biggest improvement will come.

NB...Thats a good post and sums up Levi very well and I fully agree that Mick wants a Leigh Brown allrounder type.
Levi and Sam Rowe both need a fitness coach to improve their game....

Reply #17
NB...Thats a good post and sums up Levi very well and I fully agree that Mick wants a Leigh Brown allrounder type.
Levi and Sam Rowe both need a fitness coach to improve their game....

For me Rowe has already proven he has the necessary work ethic, we don't yet know if he has the capacity.

For me, the jury is out on Levi, I have given him the benefit of the doubt now for several years and have seen little improvement other than a loss of baby fat. I am not sure he gets another pre-season to prove anything!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
I rate his ruck work. I think he can develop well into that 5-10 min a quarter relief ruckman, which suits Kruezer who needs to play predominantly ruck. Much like Mitchell he needs to find a way to get to more contests. He currently has long periods in games where he has little or no impact on the game. No doubt its a fitness/experience thing, and will improve. His hands are great and he's a powerful man. His physical attributes alone should help to keep him in the game. There is no magic bullet solution to our forwardline issues. Levi can play an important role. Well worth persevering IMO 
Eat more chooks

Reply #19
Didn't he start the season at FF.
Couldn't get near it!

However, has shown in patches that he has great potential.
He can certainly clunk a mark!

Three obvious things will help him:
a) better delivery into the forward line
b) better forward line coach
c) hours upon hours of goal kicking practice

Reply #20
LP..We will have to disagree on Hampson and Kruezer...both are very friendly in ruck contests IMO.....Kreuzer has been under the microscope in the last week and I think it was Gary Lyon on Footy classified who said he plays like his personality(very quiet) and needs to mongrel up a bit..

Imagine Wil Minson with Kruezer's talent. Worth his weight in Gold.
Maybe we could get Kreuze some Sax lessons.

Reply #21
I rate his ruck work.

Then you must think the others are superstars!  ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22
Didn't he start the season at FF.
Couldn't get near it!

However, has shown in patches that he has great potential.
He can certainly clunk a mark!

Three obvious things will help him:
a) better delivery into the forward line
b) better forward line coach
c) hours upon hours of goal kicking practice

Don't think he did.... However I am getting older :)
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #23
I think Mick is trying to groom Levi to play that 'Leigh Brown' style role he made famous at Collingwood. Many of my colleagues and fellow writers at One Week At A Time say the same thing.

Marking on the run definitely isn't his problem as he's about an 80% chance to stick it if he gets a run at it. I quite like him playing that hit up CHF role, but he needs to build his fitness to the point where he can do it for more than the first half. He doesn't get any smaller as the game goes on so he needs to be crashing packs in the last quarter when we need him to, not just in the first and second when everyone is flying and fully fit.

He's got the exact same kicking issue (high ball drop and not guiding it down effectively) that I had as a young fella and I'd corrected it within about a year of being coached properly at representative level. I can't believe no one has clued onto this over the course of his career and helped him rectify it. I'm just hoping it's not too late for him now.

Lot to like about some of these posts.

If I was to lock him into a key position it'd be more likely CHF as it lets him run about suiting his marking more. I'm more inclined to do as you suggested though and play Waite and Henderson in the key positions and let Casboult  pinch hit in  the ruck while having the freedom to run around, crash packs and mark. Means we're alot more potent u p forward. Means bringing in Watson but for all  his faults he hasn't let anyone down when he's played seniors.

Soon as Sheik looks at Casboult he gets dropped. Sheik's a jinx...lol.

Reply #24

Lot to like about some of these posts.

If I was to lock him into a key position it'd be more likely CHF as it lets him run about suiting his marking more. I'm more inclined to do as you suggested though and play Waite and Henderson in the key positions and let Casboult  pinch hit in  the ruck while having the freedom to run around, crash packs and mark. Means we're alot more potent u p forward. Means bringing in Watson but for all  his faults he hasn't let anyone down when he's played seniors.

Soon as Sheik looks at Casboult he gets dropped. Sheik's a jinx...lol.

Great post looking back