Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2024 Rd 16 Carlton vs Footscray at Footscray (Read 3398 times) previous topic - next topic

VFL 2024 Rd 16 Carlton vs Footscray at Footscray

The Dogs are 3rd, but on the decline. Their losses have all been recent.
Have we improved enough to challenge them? I wouldn't think so. Too many guys not producing enough.

Monahan, Moir, Sam Durdin, Akuei, Mirkov, Lemmey: too many doing not enough.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFL 2024 Rd 16 Carlton vs Footscray at Footscray

Reply #1
I hope Will Hayes is available this week. His dynamism was much appreciated, even if his disposal is a bit iffy. A lot of our present VFL team is pretty iffy on the disposal front.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
I hope Will Hayes is available this week. His dynamism was much appreciated, even if his disposal is a bit iffy. A lot of our present VFL team is pretty iffy on the disposal front.

Hayes is exactly the sort of player the Magoos need; knows the VFL like the back of his hand, leads by example and always gives his best shot.  Not quite good/big/fast enough for AFL but perfect for VFL.

I’d love to know how we convinced him to pull on the navy blue guernsey 🤔
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
Hayes is exactly the sort of player the Magoos need; knows the VFL like the back of his hand, leads by example and always gives his best shot.  Not quite good/big/fast enough for AFL but perfect for VFL.

I’d love to know how we convinced him to pull on the navy blue guernsey 🤔
Mates with Luke Power I believe and now back in the city after being up in the country somewhere where he played some footy  asked if he could train with the VFL team to help keep his fitness up and said he was up for a game if  needed.

Reply #4
Mates with Luke Power I believe and now back in the city after being up in the country somewhere where he played some footy  asked if he could train with the VFL team to help keep his fitness up and said he was up for a game if  needed.

I wonder if he retracted the harsh words he had to say about his delisting 🤔

Either way, I’m glad he’s back in navy blue 🙂
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
The Dogs are 3rd, but on the decline. Their losses have all been recent.
Have we improved enough to challenge them? I wouldn't think so. Too many guys not producing enough.
Monahan, Moir, Sam Durdin, Akuei, Mirkov, Lemmey: too many doing not enough.
Just a wee bit harsh on Durdin, but the others I agree with.  Monahan very much a project player, Moir and Lemmey young and show a bit but both need to get some fire in their belly if they are going to make it, theu have the tools.  Mirkov and Akuei experiments coming to a close I would think, although the last 2 weeks Dom has shown more than in his entire previous career, but his problem is I think he has to come off category B rookie status and I don't think he has done enough to warrant a standard rookie much less main list place.  Would love to see him keep up the good work and make me eat my words,  and his form of the last 2 weeks replicated consistently might just do that.

Are we not able to let our more project players develop at a suburban club?  Or do those not picked for the 2s have to sit the round out?

Reply #6
Too many injuries will always decimate a team, AFL or VFL, whether fans like to admit it or not, it is a reason and an excuse.

There is a world of difference between a coach saying there are no excuses and the reality of losing due to injuries, a coach says that because he wants players to go in with a focus, he wants them to believe they have a chance which they always do, because often defeat starts in the mind.
"Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck ....... Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck"

Reply #7
Just a wee bit harsh on Durdin, but the others I agree with.  Monahan very much a project player, Moir and Lemmey young and show a bit but both need to get some fire in their belly if they are going to make it, theu have the tools.  Mirkov and Akuei experiments coming to a close I would think, although the last 2 weeks Dom has shown more than in his entire previous career, but his problem is I think he has to come off category B rookie status and I don't think he has done enough to warrant a standard rookie much less main list place.  Would love to see him keep up the good work and make me eat my words,  and his form of the last 2 weeks replicated consistently might just do that.

Are we not able to let our more project players develop at a suburban club?  Or do those not picked for the 2s have to sit the round out?

I don’t believe that AFL listed players can play in domestic competitions.  I think that’s one of the problems with our VFL team; we have to select our AFL listed players regardless of the lack of experience, leadership, nous and ability.

That’s where Sam Durdin’s presence in the team is important … and his form has been OK.

Reply #8
That’s where Sam Durdin’s presence in the team is important … and his form has been OK.
I thought last game Young was better than Durdin, but is it Durdin's presence that made Young better?

Also Marchbank was back out there, as much as fans might be dismissive his presence matters.

If so that is a problem, because Young has the physical capabilities exceeding Durdin, but as a replacement for Weiters whoever goes in must stand up in a leadership role.

How do you take someone who is not quite up to fulltime AFL standards, but has the leadership quality you need, and keep them happy playing VFL?
"Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck ....... Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck"

Reply #9
How do you take someone who is not quite up to fulltime AFL standards, but has the leadership quality you need, and keep them happy playing VFL?
Making the Club somewhere you don't want to leave helps, but these guys are professionals so it is very difficult if there are weaker teams out there that could offer them a regular run in the firsts.  However if they are genuinely not quite up to fulltime AFL such that they don't have those sorts of offers they may be prepared to hang around for the prospect of injury or somesuch opening up a spot.  In another thread I just mentioned Scott Howell, 39 games in 6 years but a last-minute injury call up in 1981 makes him the only player in VFL/AFL history to be the third generation to play in a premiership (his father Carlton Hall of Famer Jack "Chooka" Howell Jnr winning one in 1947 and Jack senior being BOG for the Swans when they downed Collingwood (God bless them) in 1918).  So just maybe if regular seniors service isn't on offer back-up in a flag-contending team might be preferred.   

Reply #10
I thought last game Young was better than Durdin, but is it Durdin's presence that made Young better?

Also Marchbank was back out there, as much as fans might be dismissive his presence matters.

If so that is a problem, because Young has the physical capabilities exceeding Durdin, but as a replacement for Weiters whoever goes in must stand up in a leadership role.

The combination of Durdin, Young and Marchbank makes all three better players.  Our team defence was much better last game -Pitto, Cuners, Carroll, Binns, Lord, Hayes and Motlop all contributed - and that makes life much easier for our tall defenders.

I think Sam Durdin would be happier staying with us than returning to the SANFL but he must be getting close to his rookie limit.

Reply #11
Our line-up for this week:
B:  [38] Sam Durdin,  [55] Lachlan Young,  [33] Lewis Young
HB:  [74] Logan Prout,  [41] Domanic Akuei,  [34] Rob Monahan
C:  [29] George Hewett,  [25] Jaxon Binns,  [28] David Cuningham
HF:  [43] Ashton Moir,  [14] Orazio Fantasia,  [3] Jesse Motlop
F:  [21] Jack Martin,  [31] Harry Lemmey,  [40] Hudson O'Keeffe
R:  [45] Alex Mirkov,  [36] Cooper Lord,  [16] Jack Carroll
Int: [53] Will Hayes,  [54] Ned Cahill,  [52] Liam McMahon,  [77] Will White,  [72] Oliver Badr,  [64] Archie Stevens,  [62] Hayden Gill

Em:  [51] Heath Ramshaw,  [50] Zavier Maher,  [63] Kristian Ferronato,  [71] Callum Verrell,  [69] Hugo Nosiara

The centre line looks impressive, and the small forwards look dangerous.
Monahan has been named as HBF: there have been calls for that on here.
Somehow I doubt we'll line up this way, but the game is the day after the AFL games, so it isn't impossible.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #12
Our line-up for this week:
B:  [38] Sam Durdin,  [55] Lachlan Young,  [33] Lewis Young
HB:  [74] Logan Prout,  [41] Domanic Akuei,  [34] Rob Monahan
C:  [29] George Hewett,  [25] Jaxon Binns,  [28] David Cuningham
HF:  [43] Ashton Moir,  [14] Orazio Fantasia,  [3] Jesse Motlop
F:  [21] Jack Martin,  [31] Harry Lemmey,  [40] Hudson O'Keeffe
R:  [45] Alex Mirkov,  [36] Cooper Lord,  [16] Jack Carroll
Int: [53] Will Hayes,  [54] Ned Cahill,  [52] Liam McMahon,  [77] Will White,  [72] Oliver Badr,  [64] Archie Stevens,  [62] Hayden Gill

Em:  [51] Heath Ramshaw,  [50] Zavier Maher,  [63] Kristian Ferronato,  [71] Callum Verrell,  [69] Hugo Nosiara

The centre line looks impressive, and the small forwards look dangerous.
Monahan has been named as HBF: there have been calls for that on here.
Somehow I doubt we'll line up this way, but the game is the day after the AFL games, so it isn't impossible.

Have we ever put so many AFL players in a VFL team before?

Reply #13
Possibly, but I'm sure we've put out a team with more consistent performers.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #14
Let's see if the guys step up tomorrow. After all, there are plenty of spots available for anyone who really stands up.
Live Long and Prosper!