Skip to main content
Topic: Opals and Boomers at the Paris Olympics  (Read 5448 times) previous topic - next topic

Opals and Boomers at the Paris Olympics

As a basketball tragic, I haven’t really given this as much attention as I should have.

First of all, congratulations are due to Joe Ingles, Patty Mills and Lauren Jackson for winning selection to their fifth Olympics.  Loz’s selection is particularly admirable given that her last Olympics was London in 2012, she retired with a debilitating knee injury and is now 43 years young.  Her form in the recent series against China suggests that she’ll get more than her share of court time in Paris.

Joe and Patty have had stellar careers but both will probably spend more time on the bench than on the court in Paris.  Joe’s probably in better touch but Patty will still have his moments.

I think that the two most significant omissions from the Boomers are Chris Goulding and Matisse Thybulle.  Goulding, by his own admission, was always going to struggle against the younger talent.

Thybulle’s defensive efforts at the last Olympics were outstanding but it seems that Brian Goorjian is after more offensive firepower than hard nosed defence.  Goorjian is a wily operator and I’m sure that he knows what he’s doing.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: Opals and Boomers at the Paris Olympics

Reply #1
Fellow basketball tragic...both local NBL and abroad and  I will be watching keenly on how the Boomers go especially.
Thybulle is a poor shooter but we need him to play on some of the big name NBA stars and ply his trade as one of the best defenders in the NBA. Goulding of course is a great shooter at NBL level but no real surprise he has been over looked as he can't defend very well and doesn't handle the ball much as a guard either so is a bit of a one trick pony albeit it's a good trick.
The Jackjumpers success has led to Jack McVeigh and Will Magnay being included in the team and McVeigh in particular has earned his spot imo. Clutch shooter and loves the big moments, Magnay is more of a rim protector rebounder and a defensive presence. Ingles and Mills are very lucky imo and while still handy players I would probably have left one of them out and gone a younger player.
USA should win Gold given the NBA star power they have but hoping we can land a medal and avoid the USA on the way to the finals.

Reply #2
We're in the group of death. No chance.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #3
We're in the group of death. No chance.
Going to be hard with Canada, Spain and the Giannis led Greeks in the same pool and I think thats why I might have gone with a few younger players rather than Ingles and Mills to get some experience for the future.

Reply #4
Its funny, Goorj's comments re selection seemed to indicate some of the selections were based on chemistry than anything.   Usually at the olympics, 10, 11 & 12 rarely play, and it can be tough on the locker-room, if they dont realise this and want to play.  So, often the last 3 spots are taken up by vets or by a young guy brought along for experience.   i reckon Delly was bought along as the 12th man  and Magnay is probably the ultimate team guy, that knows he is at the end of the bench (break glass in case of injury or foul trouble).  reading between the lines, i reckon Thybulle was probably not keen on limited playing time, so they chose not to pick him instead.  

Goulding's spot was definitely taken by McVeigh, who apparently was unstoppable at training camp, and then in one of the china games

Group of death will be tough.  We lack offensive firepower (if Mills is rusty), outside shooting and rim-protection.   Giddey is yet to prove he can be the focal point of offense.

But, you never know!

Reply #5
Its funny, Goorj's comments re selection seemed to indicate some of the selections were based on chemistry than anything.   Usually at the olympics, 10, 11 & 12 rarely play, and it can be tough on the locker-room, if they dont realise this and want to play.  So, often the last 3 spots are taken up by vets or by a young guy brought along for experience.   i reckon Delly was bought along as the 12th man  and Magnay is probably the ultimate team guy, that knows he is at the end of the bench (break glass in case of injury or foul trouble).  reading between the lines, i reckon Thybulle was probably not keen on limited playing time, so they chose not to pick him instead.  

Goulding's spot was definitely taken by McVeigh, who apparently was unstoppable at training camp, and then in one of the china games

Group of death will be tough.  We lack offensive firepower (if Mills is rusty), outside shooting and rim-protection.   Giddey is yet to prove he can be the focal point of offense.

But, you never know!
The China games were a bit misleading as the Chinese brought a inexperienced U21 team with none of their stars, McVeigh will be an interesting player to watch as he will be undersized and hoping the refs are as forgiving as they are in Australia and call everything but I doubt it...
Magnay might get a few more minutes than expected imo as he will be needed as a rim protector vs the athletic bigs that most of the other teams have. Agree on the firepower, Giddey isnt a great outside shooter and the two old blokes in Mills and Ingles might have to step up and play more minutes if we cant get points out of the starters.

Reply #6
The China games were a bit misleading as the Chinese brought a inexperienced U21 team with none of their stars, McVeigh will be an interesting player to watch as he will be undersized and hoping the refs are as forgiving as they are in Australia and call everything but I doubt it...
Magnay might get a few more minutes than expected imo as he will be needed as a rim protector vs the athletic bigs that most of the other teams have. Agree on the firepower, Giddey isnt a great outside shooter and the two old blokes in Mills and Ingles might have to step up and play more minutes if we cant get points out of the starters.

It looks from the US and Serbia games that Magnay has the back up centre role over Reath - did not see that coming.  Apparently they trust his defence more than Reath

delly, joe and reath to be 10,11,12

Reply #7
It looks from the US and Serbia games that Magnay has the back up centre role over Reath - did not see that coming.  Apparently they trust his defence more than Reath

delly, joe and reath to be 10,11,12
Yep Magnay is ahead of Reath and will join McVeigh in the NBA on a 2 way deal imo.Nice to see Mills shoot well vs Serbia too.Our first opponent is Spain which will be a big test and I think we can put up a good showing.

Reply #8
The Boomers have carried their pre-Olympics tournament form into the Games with a good win over Spain, despite Dante Exum’s injury.  Patty Mills has really turned the clock back and is playing like a younger version of himself.

I think that Brian Goorjian has put together a well-balanced and in form squad.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #9
Ugly game to watch thanks to Spain going the knuckle but a satisfying result.
Mills was very good and I thought Magnay stood up when things got rough.
USA aside we are as good as anyone and can make it to the podium for a medal IMHO.

Reply #10
Aren't Spain a top 3 side EB?  If so, that's a pretty fair result I reckon.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #11

Not really.

Last year the top 4 were the Germany, Serbia, Canada and the USA who have fielded a much stronger side this time.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #12
Prof, Spain are ranked second by FIBA in the world but at this Olympics I think are ranked behind us at about 6th or seventh.
They have a few past and present NBA players and had decent leadup form in the games they played but are not seen as a threat like they have been before.
FIBA rankings can be misleading as a lot of the NBA players dont front up and more locals play in their sanctioned tournaments and world championship games.
Canada are the No2 ranked team courtesy of their NBA stars and Serbia and Germany would round out the top 4.
France have a softer pool and the most hyped player in the world in Victor Wembanyama but have been playing poorly in leadup games but I expect them to improve and being the home team they may sneak into the top 4.
The USA should win easily given their star power but often their teams dont gel that well and the personalities work against each other but history shows that their depth in talent usually wears other teams down and its often their bench players who play best.

Reply #13
The "official" FIBA Olympic rankings as at 24 July are:
1. USA
2. Germany
3. Serbia
4. Canada
5. Australia
6. France
7. Spain
8. Greece

However, that doesn't mean a great deal and none of those teams, even the USA, are unbeatable.

Reply #14
The Yanks smashed Serbia (who are way better than us), no one is beating them.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!