Skip to main content
Topic: Dean Jones RIP (Read 3648 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Dean Jones RIP

Reply #15
Henry Blofeld will miss him ... and do the right thing for once Elton.  Return his Test Cap

Reply #16
Terribly sad news!

RIP Deano.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #17
Suffered terribly at the hands of the political establishment that calls itself the ACB... RIP to a great Victorian and supporter of the game, at Test,  state,  club and community level
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #18
One of the true giants and pioneers in Aussie cricket. Still shocked. A true individual who did it his way.

Loved his cricket, loved life, loved his BlueBaggers... and women ;)  Crammed more into his short life than most could in two lifetimes. 59 is too short an innings, but like his cricket, Deano's life was full of colour, passion, inspiration and courage.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #19
Suffered terribly at the hands of the political establishment that calls itself the ACB... RIP to a great Victorian and supporter of the game, at Test,  state,  club and community level
He wasn't hesitant at giving them some stick.

Quite a few of the timid types hated him winding up the opposition, especially the Windies bowlers, the introverts basically blamed Dean for being the victims of guys like Ambrose, Marshall and Garner. Some will remember when he asked Ambrose to remove the wristbands.

He had a run in with Beefy Botham as well, but he wasn't on his lonesome in that regard! ::)

When you played against Deano he was like a mosquito buzzing around your ears, hyperactive, never stopped and never shut up! He was completely addicted to cricket, so much so that when turf was washed out he'd go down to the lower levels and play on matting. A few would do that but they'd only do it for cash, Deano did it for free just to have a game! He gave you the impression he liked fielding even more than batting or bowling, he chased the pill like a greyhound chases a rabbit. One time he ran from close in on the opposite side of the pitch and still beat a team-mate to the ball out near the opposite boundary!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
Two things I never knew, Deano's nickname was actually "Legde" (as in Legend) and his father "Barney" (who was the GM of construction company I worked for in late 80s early 90s) played U19s for Carlton, hence the Bluebagger connection.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #21
A 3rd.  Went to Mount Waverley secondary college just like myself.

Clearly I was the most talented bloke to come out of there.

Fun fact, so did Brett Thornton.  I knew him personally.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #22

Clearly I was the most talented bloke to come out of there.

Fun fact, so did Brett Thornton.  I knew him personally.
Born in Coburg. I always thought he was from Romsey/Lancefield way. Maybe he lived there.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #24
 Yes, I can confirm he and his brother played some junior and senior cricket out that way.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #25
Yep the school mentioned on facebook he was a student from 1974 to 1979.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #26
Believe he played at Ashwood, but can't have been for long because he went to Carlton pretty young.   Paul Reiffel also played at Ashwood.

Glenn played at a few clubs in the area,  with controversy following him...

Foxtel have been playing the Legends interview with Craddock from a couple of years ago.   Good viewing.

Reply #27
Deano had a property at Romsey as does Brian Taylor....

Reply #28
Deano had a property at Romsey as does Brian Taylor....
I think a few of us are talking youth years before 1st Class, while others are talking post Test career.

Mind you, Deano was still occasionally turning up to local cricket for a game post-Test career as was Rodney Hogg, although Hogg was on cashies and Deano was just there because he was addicted to cricket!

PS; You don't know what white-knuckle means until you have to open the batting on matting in a very light drizzle, with recently retired Rodney Hogg off the long run because he is naturally nasty to all batsmen no matter what the level or match circumstance! It's very unnerving to look around and notice the keeper is just a gentle under-arm away from the boundary! My opening partner came down from the non-strikers end after the first couple of delivers, from which I was hoping for a some reinforcing advice, and instead he looked a little sheepish and said, "crap I didn't see them!" So much for just having a bit of a hit with some mates on a damp afternoon! :o (Even worse, at higher levels I was a Bowling All-Rounder not an Opening Batsmen!) :(
The Force Awakens!