Skip to main content
Topic: The Silver Lining Thread (Read 15314 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Silver Lining Thread

Reply #30
The stakes for our club currently are absolutely massive. If we get it wrong again re. the coach, at the trade/draft tables, and other critical areas we have previously discussed at length then we are in deep trouble for many years.

Granted, there are a few shafts of light with some of the new players like Cripps etc., but IMO they are relatively small signs compared to the size of the challenge we are faced with. The most critical areas for me lie in the quality of our Prez, Ceo, board, strategy, planning and execution over the next 5 years. Too early to make a call really, some encouraging words have been spoken but the jury's definitely still out.

Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #31
Silver lining. I'm renovating my house doing most of my work on weekends so I'm not missing out on much by not going to the footy this year.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #32
Cripps is an exciting prospect and he should do well in the Rising Star if he can maintain his form.  So far, his consistency has been remarkable for a young player.

Bell has been the standout for me.  He has really progressed since last season and his use of the ball has improved markedly, not to mention his goal kicking.  Bell is one of the very few Carlton players who is willing to get in the face of opponents and his powerful frame seems to be intimidating.  Bell and Cripps could provide the nucleus of a very strong midfield for years to come.

Docherty has also improved on his 2014 form and he has a big future.

Tuohy was disappointing in 2014 but seems to have regained his mojo.  I'm not sure that defence is really his role and I'd like to seem him played further up the ground.

I never thought that Jones would cement a spot in our forward line and he hasn't done a great deal to convince me otherwise.  However, when he does get to contests he does bring the ball to ground and we should be able to capitalise on that.  If he can play to his potential, he could be an elite key forward but he has a very long way to go.  He is worth persevering with but needs a lot of work, preferably with a genuine forward line coach.

Despite his limited opportunities, Casboult has been another shining light for me.  His marking is elite and his kicking action has improved.  He needs to be given a chance to develop as a genuine ruckman and forward.

Byrne showed a bit in his cameo and I would like to see him work his way back into the team.  It's interesting how Tuohy and Byrne take the game on and play a more instinctive game.  Perhaps not playing junior football has benefits.

Finally, I'd like to acknowledge Murphy's efforts.  He gets virtually no protection from his team mates and must start very game knowing that the opposition will set out to belt the crap out of him.  Under those circumstances, his performances have been pretty good.  I am looking forward to seeing how he goes when his team mates finally realise that it's up to them to show opponents that our captain has protection.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #33
Cripps is an exciting prospect and he should do well in the Rising Star if he can maintain his form.  So far, his consistency has been remarkable for a young player.

Bell has been the standout for me.  He has really progressed since last season and his use of the ball has improved markedly, not to mention his goal kicking.  Bell is one of the very few Carlton players who is willing to get in the face of opponents and his powerful frame seems to be intimidating.  Bell and Cripps could provide the nucleus of a very strong midfield for years to come.

Docherty has also improved on his 2014 form and he has a big future.

Tuohy was disappointing in 2014 but seems to have regained his mojo.  I'm not sure that defence is really his role and I'd like to seem him played further up the ground.

I never thought that Jones would cement a spot in our forward line and he hasn't done a great deal to convince me otherwise.  However, when he does get to contests he does bring the ball to ground and we should be able to capitalise on that.  If he can play to his potential, he could be an elite key forward but he has a very long way to go.  He is worth persevering with but needs a lot of work, preferably with a genuine forward line coach.

Despite his limited opportunities, Casboult has been another shining light for me.  His marking is elite and his kicking action has improved.  He needs to be given a chance to develop as a genuine ruckman and forward.

Byrne showed a bit in his cameo and I would like to see him work his way back into the team.  It's interesting how Tuohy and Byrne take the game on and play a more instinctive game.  Perhaps not playing junior football has benefits.

Finally, I'd like to acknowledge Murphy's efforts.  He gets virtually no protection from his team mates and must start very game knowing that the opposition will set out to belt the crap out of him.  Under those circumstances, his performances have been pretty good.  I am looking forward to seeing how he goes when his team mates finally realise that it's up to them to show opponents that our captain has protection.

Pretty much how I see it too DJC.
Going on last seasons performance Sheahan will make it too when he is fully fit.

Jones has been a disappointment after the pre-season hype, but he is still young and will improve .

Wood has been OK too most of the time. Will never be a star, but has a go. And Simon White is under-rated. We miss his grunt when he's not there.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #34
Over the two to three weeks, Thomas, Yarren, Kruz, white, will all add a new dimension. The two Irish boys good too .  They've all played little to no footy this year.
Things will look a lot better soon.

Reply #35
Oh dear, we miss Simon White. How far backwards have we gone when that's the case.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #37
To be fair he has been playing some of his best football for the club in his last handful of games. ;)

Meh lods, for me he played a cracker for us in round 1 and that's about it. After what's happened with Rowe this year I'm loath to put that down as the rule as opposed to the exception.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #38
To be fair he has been playing some of his best football for the club in his last handful of games. ;)

Yeah, I thought White was playing with good levels of aggression and mobility, stuff I wish some of the others on the list had just a shred of in their kit bag!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #39
Meh lods, for me he played a cracker for us in round 1 and that's about it. After what's happened with Rowe this year I'm loath to put that down as the rule as opposed to the exception.

He played some good games towards the end of last year including that 4 goal effort against St Kilda.
I reckon we'll see him establish himself as a pretty useful utility once he comes back.
Can play a number of roles

Reply #40
For what it's worth I am loath to criticise SW. This bloke brings an attitude to the field which is sadly lacking in many of his team mates. He's in our best 25.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17