Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 3: Carlton vs Gold Coast: Post Game Pain (Read 42542 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 3: Carlton vs Gold Coast: Post Game Pain

Reply #90
We gave the latter away for nothing and let Mick replace them with peripheral plodders. No wonder we are so far behind. Mick has set us back 10 years. Thanks Swanny, and thanks Sticks.

My point is, other clubs may see value.
Personally I think we are closer now they are gone.
That group wasn't taking us to the promised land, just giving us a Richmond like tease.
We need two things from a trade. Good picks and move on the cancerous mentally weak types that don't GAF.
E Curnow turns it over a heap but at least he shows the level of application that is required.
Give me that over Murphy and Gibbs any day

Reply #91
At halftime and Lingy was interviewing Sqibbs, Bryce said when they work so hard getting the ball into the forward line then a goal is missed it's hard to not drop your head.
It really must take its toll.

On Sqibbs he gets all his possessions at half back or on the wing. ALL easy linking passes that clock up the stats and NOTHING ELSE.
He is not damaging. We need to tear up his contract and make him play for a new contract each week. He only plays well when there is something in it for him.
Oh and Sqibbs, WTF is with the long hair? So 90's. ::)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #92
I'm not convinced our fitness base is the problem. Our players just don't play intelligent footy. They don't run to the right positions and they don't make it easy for their team mates. When was the last time you saw Hodge, Lewis and Mitchell gut-running to cover turnovers or fast ball movement from the opposition? It just puts too much pressure on our defenders and causes the midfield to run out of gas.

When was the last time you saw Gibbs or Murphy bent over hands on their knees gasping for air because they just sprinted up and back 20 times? Have you ever seen it? These two are the crux of our problems, they and Kreuzer who is just forking awful. Let's call Collingwood back, maybe we can still get that drink for him?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #93
The second half drop off isn't a desire or ability or fitness issue.   it's a side who is worn down by working hard for little rewards inside fifty.  A side that doesn't believe it can win.  Probably because we miss the few easy chances to kick goals and then concede multiple goals in a row.

Yup I'd agree with this, also a lot of our senior players lack heart, which is required in situations such as the one above.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #94
Re the retreads, Elwood's man Wright has been a great pick up and Kerridge despite his average kicking definitely has a future at our club. Boeky was average last night but also has a future IMO.

Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #95
Played with a big corky last two weeks.

Has this been confirmed or just a hunch on how he looks. Heard nothing from the club and commenters didn't mention anything.

Was never quick but looked either unable or hopefully not unwilling to run.

Reply #96
Re the retreads, Elwood's man Wright has been a great pick up and Kerridge despite his average kicking definitely has a future at our club. Boeky was average last night but also has a future IMO.
Agree. And on Jacob Weitering, not enough said IMO. Superstar is used loosely but this bloke will be one of the competition in the future. 26 disposals, 80% eff, 1 clanger, this kid has got it all.
On our ruckman, 38 HO to their 19!!! Were ours playing for them and giving them first use FFS? I think I will watch a replay and have another look, I was watching while out so I couldnt really concentrate/focus on the nitty gritty.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #97
Has this been confirmed or just a hunch on how he looks. Heard nothing from the club and commenters didn't mention anything.

It was reported last week that he copped quite a bad corky, I'm assuming that carried over to this week.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #98

I am pretty sure BB mentioned it in one of his pressers. He also banged up his knee late in the PS training, its been heavily bandaged so it cant be fully right. Anyway, lets not focus on Cripps because he isnt the problem. Even if he was 110% fit, the senior blokes around him are doing SFA and thats the bulk of the issue right now.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #99
Agree. And on Jacob Weitering, not enough said IMO. Superstar is used loosely but this bloke will be one of the competition in the future. 26 disposals, 80% eff, 1 clanger, this kid has got it all.
On our ruckman, 38 HO to their 19!!! Were ours playing for them and giving them first use FFS? I think I will watch a replay and have another look, I was watching while out so I couldnt really concentrate/focus on the nitty gritty.

Mate I feel asleep in the third quarter, body still hasn't adjusted to daylight savings, kept drifting in and out, every time I opened my eyes they'd kicked another couple.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #100
I am pretty sure BB mentioned it in one of his pressers. He also banged up his knee late in the PS training, its been heavily bandaged so it cant be fully right. Anyway, lets not focus on Cripps because he isnt the problem. Even if he was 110% fit, the senior blokes around him are doing SFA and thats the bulk of the issue right now.

Yeah have to say, get off the kids back. He is the future and he has very little support.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #101
I don't understand the unexpected doom and gloom on here. We are a bottom team, we are rebuilding, we have a new system, new coach and nearly half the list is new, and we are coming from a low, low base.

There is a reason why Weitering was seen as our BOG, cause he can actually play! People point out our number 1 picks, as Taylor did last night on the broadcast, but look at the number of rookies on the list too. These were players overlooked as they had flaws in their game and when the pressure is on they can crumble.

Jammo, Rowe (rookied by Sydney), Touhy, Byrne, Casboult, Wright, Ed Curnow, Phillips. We are missing the tale teen early 20 picks from the last decade that normally will make up a big chunk of a side.

I will look at the young players and how they perform this year, because expecting a win is beyond all possibilities. I said before the season started these is a real chance that we could go 0-8 straight up, hopefully we do well against Essendon and maybe pinch one from Collingwood.

Cripps - Not right, these has been some voices saying his knee is not right, or it may have been the corky from last week but he still did better ythan a lot on the ground, he's just marked at a high level now.

Weitering - A third gamer that is just awesome. When he makes a mistake, it's a surprise. Just imagine how good he'll be in a few years time, controlling the backline, swapping opponents with Plowman and Glass-McCasker (steps on my rookie argument, I know).

Charlie Curnow - Wow, improved heaps from his first game, looked more comfortable in the game and his kick on goal in the first looked composed. I see him as a forward who will pinch hit in the mid field rather that a mid, he moves and thinks like a forward, where a mid will hunt the ball, Charlie seems to look ahead and gets to a position where the ball may go.

Boekhurst - A lot to like this year but still a way to go. Good disposal and seem confident with the ball this year, needs a bit less selfishness and a lot more chase, but I liked what I saw of his mistake in the first half, kicked the ball long but got back and marked the returning pass, where last year his head would have dropped and the ball gone. He needs to make it as I have a feeling that he will be all that's left of the trade from 2014 with both Whiley and Jacksh gone at seasons end.

Graham - Does nice things but drifts out of the game too much, his lack of pace and size hurts too. Still has time but I'm guessing this is about as good as it will get.

Buckley - What does Dylan actually do well? He can run swiftly, but does he lay tackles? He can kick well but when you only touch the ball a few times a game what does it matter? Is he too small to be a back pocket? I don't know if he'll make it, at the moment I'd have to say no.

Kerridge - Worst game in navy blue. Missed targets and goals, didn't lay his normal amount of tackles either or pressure on the body. Hopefully will bonce back.

We had a 6 day break after playing hardened team, travelled to a warm humid ground, against a fast, skillful, inform team. They had two very good forward options Lynch and Martin that should both push for AA this season. Give a lot of other isdes the same conditions and they come up short too.

It's fine to call for people to be dropped, but who havbe we got to replace them. Rowe and Jammo both deserve to be dropped next week, but we have White, undersized (a possible Stringer opponent) Plowman, coming back of injury and needs to find touch and fitness in the VFL. Glass McCasker who didn't even get a practice match.

Do we drop Gibbs and bring in Clem Smith, V-Rainbow or Cunningham? Do we actually think this will help the team in the long run? Cause I doubt it will help now.

Reply #102
The sooner Murphy is replaced as captain the better, we will go no where with him leading the way.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #103
The sooner Murphy is replaced as captain the better, we will go no where with him leading the way.

I like Murphy as a player. I think he's done as much as he can as Captain, but it's fair to say his tenure as captain hasn't really worked out. I think both he and the club would benefit from him being relieved TBH.

Then we can appoint Gibbs.

Reply #104
I don't understand the unexpected doom and gloom on here. We are a bottom team, we are rebuilding, we have a new system, new coach and nearly half the list is new, and we are coming from a low, low base.

There is a reason why Weitering was seen as our BOG, cause he can actually play! People point out our number 1 picks, as Taylor did last night on the broadcast, but look at the number of rookies on the list too. These were players overlooked as they had flaws in their game and when the pressure is on they can crumble.

Jammo, Rowe (rookied by Sydney), Touhy, Byrne, Casboult, Wright, Ed Curnow, Phillips. We are missing the tale teen early 20 picks from the last decade that normally will make up a big chunk of a side.

I will look at the young players and how they perform this year, because expecting a win is beyond all possibilities. I said before the season started these is a real chance that we could go 0-8 straight up, hopefully we do well against Essendon and maybe pinch one from Collingwood.

Cripps - Not right, these has been some voices saying his knee is not right, or it may have been the corky from last week but he still did better ythan a lot on the ground, he's just marked at a high level now.

Weitering - A third gamer that is just awesome. When he makes a mistake, it's a surprise. Just imagine how good he'll be in a few years time, controlling the backline, swapping opponents with Plowman and Glass-McCasker (steps on my rookie argument, I know).

Charlie Curnow - Wow, improved heaps from his first game, looked more comfortable in the game and his kick on goal in the first looked composed. I see him as a forward who will pinch hit in the mid field rather that a mid, he moves and thinks like a forward, where a mid will hunt the ball, Charlie seems to look ahead and gets to a position where the ball may go.

Boekhurst - A lot to like this year but still a way to go. Good disposal and seem confident with the ball this year, needs a bit less selfishness and a lot more chase, but I liked what I saw of his mistake in the first half, kicked the ball long but got back and marked the returning pass, where last year his head would have dropped and the ball gone. He needs to make it as I have a feeling that he will be all that's left of the trade from 2014 with both Whiley and Jacksh gone at seasons end.

Graham - Does nice things but drifts out of the game too much, his lack of pace and size hurts too. Still has time but I'm guessing this is about as good as it will get.

Buckley - What does Dylan actually do well? He can run swiftly, but does he lay tackles? He can kick well but when you only touch the ball a few times a game what does it matter? Is he too small to be a back pocket? I don't know if he'll make it, at the moment I'd have to say no.

Kerridge - Worst game in navy blue. Missed targets and goals, didn't lay his normal amount of tackles either or pressure on the body. Hopefully will bonce back.

We had a 6 day break after playing hardened team, travelled to a warm humid ground, against a fast, skillful, inform team. They had two very good forward options Lynch and Martin that should both push for AA this season. Give a lot of other isdes the same conditions and they come up short too.

It's fine to call for people to be dropped, but who havbe we got to replace them. Rowe and Jammo both deserve to be dropped next week, but we have White, undersized (a possible Stringer opponent) Plowman, coming back of injury and needs to find touch and fitness in the VFL. Glass McCasker who didn't even get a practice match.

Do we drop Gibbs and bring in Clem Smith, V-Rainbow or Cunningham? Do we actually think this will help the team in the long run? Cause I doubt it will help now.

Agree with most of this. Great post Ray.