Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Permutation: AFL Rd 12: Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 14969 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Permutation: AFL Rd 12: Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #180
AFL have ticked off the free and the 50, but have acknowledged that Gibbon's should of taken the kick. The ball was thrown to Newens by the umpire who was one of 4 players gathered around the mark. So umpire made the mistake. Not sure if it was the boundary umpire or the field umpire.

Prior to that one of the funniest things i have seen in a long time was after Jones marked in the pocket, he looked very nervous. Eddie was close by and must of said something to him and Jones just threw him the ball to him only for the umpire to call on Jones to take the kick.

Reply #181
AFL have ticked off the free and the 50, but have acknowledged that Gibbon's should of taken the kick. The ball was thrown to Newens by the umpire who was one of 4 players gathered around the mark. So umpire made the mistake. Not sure if it was the boundary umpire or the field umpire.

Prior to that one of the funniest things i have seen in a long time was after Jones marked in the pocket, he looked very nervous. Eddie was close by and must of said something to him and Jones just threw him the ball to him only for the umpire to call on Jones to take the kick.
Yes, Eddie told the story when interviewed post game. He said to Jones "do you want to kick it or will I?" to which Jones replied "you have it" and tried to handball it to him.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #182
Yeah poor Liam, one of those rabbit in the headlights situations, he had a moment or two to think about what he'd done and it looked like he was about the sh1t the bed!

He won't make that mistake again, you can see his future thought process, next time punch, punch, punch, punch! :o :D

Maybe I'm getting an understanding of where all those chaos punches come from, if you don't catch it you don't have to kick it! :P

The Force Awakens!

Reply #183
Don't understand the Weitering criticism floating around, excluding two seriously dud umpiring decisions, and one shocking toe stub kick, I reckon he got the better of his opponent!

btw. What is it with these big FFs not having to face the football in those one on one battles, is this a new rule? That is two games, this one against Freo and the Aints game, that a resting ruckmen/FF has basically turned their back to the ball and thrown our KPD to the ground while the ball is 30m away and not been penalised!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #184
Does anyone else think Cripps look sore? I mean he's looked sore all year. Massive bandage on his knee and sore back. May be making excuses but he clearly looks sore to me.
He's been wearing that knee bandage for years now so hard to tell. You can see cupping marks under his jumper but I recall seeing those last year so again, hard to tell. I just reckon he is trying to too hard. I cant remember who made the comment on TV or radio but they compared Fyfe and Cripps playing style. Fyfe sits off the contest at a ball up then moves in hitting it on the move. Cripps sits under it more and gets belted as soon as he wins it. As Diesel also said on SEN, he loves the physical contact but too much. Needs to sit off it a little more and minimise the hits.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #185
Does anyone else think Cripps look sore? I mean he's looked sore all year. Massive bandage on his knee and sore back. May be making excuses but he clearly looks sore to me.

Reminds me of Judd, banged up like he has been carrying a team on his shoulders....needs resting but with some hope of finals
wont happen, but if we have a loss I'd be be giving him a break after that.

Reply #186
About 5 pages of articles in today's West over here about the umpiring and how Freo were robbed etc. Funny, in all the years of West Coast getting it on a silver platter from the umpires, including that cheating pr#ck Margetts, there hasn't been anywhere near as much coverage. We were reamed sideways last week by the umpires so it's nice to have a win for a change.

As for the bleating about the wrong guy taking the kick, who else at the time was thinking "Nooooooo, not Newnes"? His field kicking is very ordinary including missing an absolute sitter on the run, directly in front from about 25m out in the third quarter.

Freo had lots of blokes out, but so did we.....Curnow, McGovern, Cunningham, Martin, Kreuzer, Pittonet, Silvagni, Newman, Marchbank. Not all would demand a spot but having them all available would be handy.

For mine, TDK plays every game from here on in. He just looks so good....very athletic. He'll have his work cut out this week against Witts with his size, but hopefully TDK can run off him and get up and down the ground and expose Witts' lack of pace.

Reply #187
The decision to give the ball to Newnes backfired on the ump  badly as the guy who should have taken it was Gibbons who is a good kick and one who the ump didn't want taking it. 😈😉
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #188
We deserved to win this win about as much as we did last week.

The only difference is, that a real side would have put Freo away with 10 minutes to go when we kicked all those behinds.

we really failed to pile on the scoring when we needed to, which made it much closer than it should have been.

Freo were crap.  They got 2 free goals from non existant frees, and the final free kick was the karma bus hitting them, not us getting one we were owed.  We bank the 4 points, and that game was almost as dissapointing as the Hawthorn game for mine.

IMHO, we need to start taking our chances, and the magnifying glass needs to be on Cripps for his ability to take a regulation shot for goal, and impersonate Levi from a few years back when he was as unreliable as a broken watch.

Bit similar to Brisbane. Their kicking at goal is terrible at times. Kept North in a game they were dominating. Easiest 1pt win i've seen (North did kick the last one after the siren).

Moral of that story is to finish your work off so as not to make life as hard as possible for yourself. We are winning regularly but we are experts at making life so hard for ourselves on a weekly basis whether it's poor disposal, poor kicking at goal or allowing big swings when we are in control.

Reply #189
Yes, the ignorance of the media and Freo supporter base is exposed by questioning why Gibbon's wasn't the kicker, he's along with McGovern probably our two best set shots in that situation.

The moment after it came off Newnes boot, long before it reached the goal line, they wanted the kick to go somebody else! :D

But I have to wonder, in the moments beforehand, if they were hoping that it wasn't given to Gibbons, they probably laughed until Newnes flushed it! Then it was probably, how did that bloke get it, did they even know his name? ::)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #190
I reckon Newnes could take that shot another 100 times and probably never kick it again....that said, he got the one that mattered.

Reply #191
Gibbons looked like he was disappointed not to get the kick.
He thought he could slot it :D

Reply #192
Absolutely. He's been good in that regard.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #193

Maybe he's simply burdened by the expectation he's placed upon himself in the role of skipper? And maybe he's working through that as his form has definitely improved and is closer to what we all know and he, no doubt, expects.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #194

I'd back Gibbons in from there most nights.

But....it was late in the game, with a wet-ish ball.
TBH, i don't think he'd make the distance from there.....knowing you'd need to kick it 50+ to clear the players on the line.

With Newnes.....i said that "he usually kicks as a goal a game and hasn't done it yet.....he knows how to kick a goal, but he isn't the greatest kick around the ground."
Thank f*ck it was a shot on goal he was taking!