Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game Preparations: AFL 2021 R3 Carlton vs Fremantle at Marvel (Read 15554 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Game Preparations: AFL 2021 R3 Carlton vs Fremantle at Marvel

Reply #256
Nah, Macdonald should be playing instead of Levi.
Maybe, but I think he's another level down in the ruck from even Levi.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #257
Maybe, but I think he's another level down in the ruck from even Levi.
How many hitouts did Levi get last game?

There isn't another level down from ZERO

Reply #258
How many hitouts did Levi get last game?

There isn't another level down from ZERO
True, but as Buckley found out it's not just about taps.

Levi's never been a big first-hands player, his improvement in recent years was the 2nd efforts and around the ground stuff. If we had smarter coaches they'd leave Pittonet on the ground and D50 side of the center, and have Levi ruck inside F50 100% using his strength.

McDonald hasn't much of a ruck 2nd effort, he's a ruck baby!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #259
True, but as Buckley found out it's not just about taps.

Levi's never been a big first-hands player, his improvement in recent years was the 2nd efforts and around the ground stuff. If we had smarter coaches they'd leave Pittonet on the ground and D50 side of the center, and have Levi ruck inside F50 100% using his strength.

McDonald hasn't much of a ruck 2nd effort, he's a ruck baby!
Oscar showed more nous and 2nd efforts in his practice matches than Levi ever has.
Levis only benefit is his size and marking and Oscar has shown decent enough marking and Levi doesn't use his size enough.

As I've pointed out for a couple years now, hitout stats is a crock. Hitouts to advantage and clearances mean hitouts are irrelevant. Buckley agrees.

Reply #260
85% or more of effective ruck work comes after the tap.

You can lose the taps, taps to advantage and whatever stat someone wants to invent 50:1 and still win the ruck, as Buckley found out! ;)

If you know what you are doing, you can even deliberately lose the tap such that the opponent gets a tap to advantage stat, and still win the clearance. Most good rucks know this, Levi took years to show some signs that he was learning it, McDonald shows no pattern at all he is ruck chaos!

If we want to try someone in the ruck, it may as well be Jones, and play McDonald in his natural position inside D50 with Weitering. Under Josh Fraser's tutelage Jones showed significant potential in the VFL ruck, he recovers quickly naturally and attacks the football without hesitation. Something many players trialled in the ruck do not do!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #261
Setterfield Out Cottrel In
OMac the Sub
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #262
Setterfield Out Cottrel In
OMac the Sub
 Funny I heard this rumour this morning but didn't post it as I thought it was a bit weak.
The Force Awakens!