Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 3: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Collingwood (Read 30837 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 3: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Collingwood

Reply #105
We need to stop thinking of Levi teaching the youngsters.

He's not there to show them anything, he's there to help give them some room to grow.

Not all players are leaders and I would wager that the nominated leader we have in our forwardline is Matthew Wright, and I am more than happy with that scenario.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #106
Casboult as we all know is year by year proposition and I very much doubt that he has any real role to play in the coaching of young players, in the same way as you vehemently pointed out some time ago would Lobbe. The youngsters are going currently going through a development process mapped out by the club, playing mainly in the VFL so far, and both Kerr and Harry have not even played alongside Levi that much. Do you think that BB says to them "I'm taking  you both to watch the seniors today and I want you both to watch Levi closely, be in wonder and learn".  :))

PS. Beware of trying to interpret what people may or may not be implying - tricky process that.

I don't agree, all senior players are role models, and young players learn playing along side them you cannot deny that!

I have no doubt Lobbe is setting new standards on the training track, which was the context of the earlier discussion, it's what he is globally known for in AFL circles.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #107
if I was guessing I think the club will try and recruit a more readymade KP Forward for 2019 to help take the heat off the kids and also win some games as the pressure builds on Bolton and SOS.

I think more Tom McDonald than Tom Lynch, we would have to sell the farm for Lynch - ask yourself; what do we actually need? We think McKay will make it but needs time, then we really need some support and a filler who can be effective elsewhere longer term. Patton from GWS gets mentioned alot, I think he can only really play one position, similarly Boyd from the Dogs. There are Tom McDonald types out there on club lists or in the state leagues that could be effective.

What is the measure of effective? Able to contribute 1 - 2 goals per game? Able to pinch hit in the ruck? Perhaps able to swing back in defence?

Reply #108
I think more Tom McDonald than Tom Lynch, we would have to sell the farm for Lynch - ask yourself; what do we actually need? We think McKay will make it but needs time, then we really need some support and a filler who can be effective elsewhere longer term. Patton from GWS gets mentioned alot, I think he can only really play one position, similarly Boyd from the Dogs. There are Tom McDonald types out there on club lists or in the state leagues that could be effective.

What is the measure of effective? Able to contribute 1 - 2 goals per game? Able to pinch hit in the ruck? Perhaps able to swing back in defence?

Its why we are in no hurry to ditch Levi.

He is bad enough for them to go past him the second they are truly 4 quarter competitive prospects at AFL level, but strong enough to draw a couple of players to him and help give the kids some room in our forwardline.

The shame in it, is that no one has gone past him yet.  Even Weitering who is dubbed as able to play forward and back, is thus far proving not to be as effective a forward as Levi.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #109
If fit and sounds like they will be, I'd be bringing back Kreuzer and Kennedy as a matter of urgency.

Out then are Weitering and Lamb for mine.

FWIW, out two best key defenders for mine are Jones and Alex Silvagni. I'd love to see them play together with an in-form Weitering or Marchbank or O'Shea the intercept third tall.

Re Marchbank, I think he will out grow a spot down back, and become a winger/forward of note.

Re Plowman, this week I wouldn't mind sending either him or Marchbank forward with Charlie Curnow and Casboult.

Re our Backline - I'd have talls in Jones, O'Shea and one of Plowman/Marchbank. More run and carry. I'm not against Paddy Dow running off half-back and/or Polson as a small lock down defender (ala Rory Laird type/style).

Re our Midfield - gotta be more accountable.

re our Forwardline - Charlie Curnow is the leader with Wright. Add Casboult and one of Plowman/Marchbank. Others include Cripps and Murphy ofcourse at times, Kennedy too plus Garlett. I want Garlett to play forward and to HUNT the opposition defenders. Polson if played forward could do this too. Accountable small forwards who tackle and harass to force turnovers. I reckon we are too slow with Lamb and Thomas forward.

Re our skills - simply gotta be better. Not much match committee can so, game plans, etc when you make such critical and fundamental skill errors on a regular basis. Simple as that.

So....

B: Byrne, Jones, O'Shea
Hb: Cuningham, Marchbank, Simpson
C: Fisher, Cripps, E.Curnow
Hf: Plowman, C.Curnow, Murphy
F: Wright, Casboult, Garlett
Foll: Kreuzer, Kennedy
Rov: Petrevski-Seton
I/c: Dow, Thomas, Polson, Mullett

Reply #110
B: Byrne, Jones, O'Shea
Hb: Cuningham, Marchbank, Simpson
C: Fisher, Cripps, E.Curnow
Hf: Plowman, C.Curnow, Murphy
F: Wright, Casboult, Garlett
Foll: Kreuzer, Kennedy
Rov: Petrevski-Seton
I/c: Dow, Thomas, Polson, Mullett

If Kreuzer and Kennedy don't get up?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #111
I don't agree, all senior players are role models, and young players learn playing along side them you cannot deny that!

I have no doubt Lobbe is setting new standards on the training track, which was the context of the earlier discussion, it's what he is globally known for in AFL circles.

Different emphasis for different circumstances? Sorry, your argument loses credibility. I will waste no further time discussing it with you.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #112
If Kreuzer and Kennedy don't get up?

We may be on struggle street again.

If Kreuzer is not right, then we have to play a ruckman - Lobbe or Phillips.

If Kennedy doesn't get up, I'd consider Kerridge or Graham.

Reply #113
Different emphasis for different circumstances? Sorry, your argument loses credibility. I will waste no further time discussing it with you.

All senior players are role models, there is no different emphasis for different circumstances or situations, I do not know where you think you've read that.

I'm not sure where you have made a connect between Lobbe as ruckmen being a role model to our young KPFs. If you can find the post that references that I'm happy to stand corrected, but I think you'll find any discussions from me regarding Lobbe would have been in reference to rucks and training.

All senior players have to bring something to the table to contribute to the development of kids, just as the coaches and training staff do, if they don't they are a waste of space and have no place in the club!

There is this KPF/Ruck Merry-Go-Round that Casboult's boosters live on, maybe that is where you are getting confused! ;) You know those arguments well, one says he is a KPF when he has a bad ruck day, the alternative is that he's a useful 2nd Ruck when he spuds it up inside F50!

My argument is pretty simple, he is not much value at either, and it's holding us back!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #114

His name is Rowe ;D

Reply #115
All senior players are role models, there is no different emphasis for different circumstances or situations, I do not know where you think you've read that.

I'm not sure where you have made a connect between Lobbe as ruckmen being a role model to our young KPFs. If you can find the post that references that I'm happy to stand corrected, but I think you'll find any discussions regarding Lobbe would have been in reference to rucks and training.

All senior players have to bring something to the table to contribute to the development of kids, just as the coaches and training staff do, if they don't they are a waste of space and have no place in the club!

There is this KPF/Ruck Merry-go-Round that Casboult's boosters live on, maybe that is where you are getting confused! ;) You know those arguments well, one says he is a KPF when he has a bad ruck day, the alternative is that he's a useful 2nd Ruck when he spuds it up inside F50!

My argument is pretty simple, he is not much value at either!

So what half intelligent young AFL footballer would consider him a role model then?? I'm sure they are guided by the coaching staff as to the players who they need to study and learn from? This would not be left purely to chance.? By your measure, Levi would be hardly one those they are lining up to learn from then?  :)

No, sorry, hatred is driving you to persist with this one I'm afraid LP. EOS.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #116
So what half intelligent young AFL footballer would consider him a role model then??

If the kids pick up bad habits from an 8 or 10 year player, is it the kids fault?

Why did we get rid of Mitch Robinson, his football is clearly good enough, different emphasis for different circumstances?

I'm sure they are guided by the coaching staff as to the players who they need to study and learn from?  This would not be left purely to chance?

Are you implying none of our coaches would point to Casboult as a role model, is this an argument for me or against me?

By your measure, Levi would be hardly one those they are lining up to learn from then?  :)

Then way is he there Cookie2?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #117
I wouldn't be rushing to drop Lamb.
He wasn't too bad last week, and ditto the week before. Others more worthy of demotion than he is.
He is one of the only players in the side who offers genuine aggression as well. We need that, lest we become punching bags.

Reply #118
After Saturdays debacle, nowhere have i seen any blame set upon our match committee. The game was lost at the selection table way  before the the ball was even bounced so blaming players is a little unfair. The balance of the team was poor and we never stood a chance. On top of this we hit an in form GC which admittedly after watching them live, they will worry many teams this year. Plenty of hard bodies too against slighter frames. Great warm weather was on their side too so it was a perfect storm for us as a team.
We just weren't ready on Saturday and feel we would have learnt plenty both on and off field.
Your thoughts

Reply #119
After Saturdays debacle, nowhere have i seen any blame set upon our match committee. The game was lost at the selection table way  before the the ball was even bounced so blaming players is a little unfair. The balance of the team was poor and we never stood a chance. On top of this we hit an in form GC which admittedly after watching them live, they will worry many teams this year. Plenty of hard bodies too against slighter frames. Great warm weather was on their side too so it was a perfect storm for us as a team.
We just weren't ready on Saturday and feel we would have learnt plenty both on and off field.
Your thoughts

In fairness to the forum Blueray, I think if you browse through the post match thread you'll find the odd criticism of the MC scattered here and there!

But of course the faceless men never cop the same amount of heat as the front line actors.
The Force Awakens!