Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Round #6: Northern Blues vs Essendon (Read 27022 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Round #6: Northern Blues vs Essendon

Reply #60
What Shadesy said.....on both counts!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #61
So it's good culture or development to not reward consistent VFl performances week in and week out?

Picking and choosing your battles here?

You're suggesting that not only is Graham following coaches instructions, but is doing so better than some other kids who are getting a call up. Following that further, you are assuming there is a spot for him in the side, given the role he plays.

Doesn't matter how well all our ruckman play, you'll never pick Warnock, Wood, Kreuzer and Casboult in the same side. Cripps plays a similar role and IMO clearly plays it better than Graham. Throw in Carrazzo, Whiley and maybe a few others who play a similar role and you'll see its not as simple as rewarding high numbers in the 2's.

Said this before, but Bomber dropped both Chappy and Bartel back to the 2's until they played the way he wanted (ie more defensive). Chappy got 35 touches the first week and despite pressure from assistants, Bomber held firm. FOUR weeks later, Chappy played the way he wanted, and brought him back.

What are Grahams KPIs? Is he achieving them?

Given that our senior coach has now changed, his KPI's might change as well. As a result, he may get a game now when he wouldn't have otherwise.

Reply #62
We lost the last 4 games by plus 70 points.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #63
Any idea what part of his game they don't rate? They must think he is a terrible footballer if players like Watson and Bootsma get more than 11 games to prove themselves.

Obviously I don't know the whole story but I don't like the sound of it, especially if he's contracted for another year.

Look, as I say it's just second-hand and I always take these stories with a grain of salt but his speed and foot skills were the two reasons given. Also as far as I'm aware it was only one individual in particular who leveled the criticism.

Pretty depressing I would imagine for the kid.

We might find out if the story is true with said person in charge now.

Reply #64
We lost the last 4 games by plus 70 points.

Is that an overly simplistic view of it though?

We saw what happened when we chose that way of thinking about whether or not Watson should play vs Liam Jones, and sure, Watson gets the opportunity because he had averaged 3 goals a week in the VFL, but the results were not great.

We can all believe he deserves an opportunity, but if he wasnt playing to instruction, its only right the senior coach gets to use a benchmark for senior footy.

Depending on how you sit, this can be an argument all day every day, but at worst the senior coach must have the right to dictate these terms.  Given Laidler's tweet we know that he likely fought opposition from the playing group from day 1.  That was never going to end well.

Given our culture of the tail wagging the dog, this is a massive issue for us. 

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #65
Is that an overly simplistic view of it though?

We saw what happened when we chose that way of thinking about whether or not Watson should play vs Liam Jones, and sure, Watson gets the opportunity because he had averaged 3 goals a week in the VFL, but the results were not great.

We can all believe he deserves an opportunity, but if he wasnt playing to instruction, its only right the senior coach gets to use a benchmark for senior footy.

Depending on how you sit, this can be an argument all day every day, but at worst the senior coach must have the right to dictate these terms.  Given Laidler's tweet we know that he likely fought opposition from the playing group from day 1.  That was never going to end well.

Given our culture of the tail wagging the dog, this is a massive issue for us.

Yes it is..... very Simple... its the only KPI that matters. Do we need to complicate it more than that?

Graham isn't meeting KPi's... please. Who in out team on Friday night, or the previous week, or the week before that is meeting their KPI's. We are losing by 70 points, there is a whole lot of players not performing. To say Nick Graham isn't meeting his performance criteria in being BOG every week in the VFL whilst our seniors are getting thoroughly rogered for fun every Friday night is entirely laughable.

Nick Graham isn't our saviour. He may be a little slow and not found his feet at AFL level yet, but he hasn't had a decent crack at it. We talk about player development and recruiting being poor. Well here is a guy we picked in the late second round, who seems to be a pretty good midfielder and growing each week in the VFL.

Give him a crack. If he doesnt make it, move him one. We are cactus this year anyway.

#united #reset

Reply #66
Agree that we simply must play guys such as Graham and Holman for a number of weeks on end.

Add to that I'd like to see us use the run and carry of blokes like Boekhorst, Buckley, Smith and Tutt. Give Whiley a decent crack too. Byrne too when back from injury.

We have to see what these guys have to offer over the next 14 weeks. That's a large chunk of the season that must not be wasted!

Play Jaksch back and forward.

Play Walker and Yarran forward - onball/wing at times also. I'd consider getting Docherty and Tuohy into the midfield too.

Rookies Brad Walsh and Tom Fields should play asap IMO if we can in fact get them onto the senior list.

Reply #67
Yes it is..... very Simple... its the only KPI that matters. Do we need to complicate it more than that?

Graham isn't meeting KPi's... please. Who in out team on Friday night, or the previous week, or the week before that is meeting their KPI's. We are losing by 70 points, there is a whole lot of players not performing. To say Nick Graham isn't meeting his performance criteria in being BOG every week in the VFL whilst our seniors are getting thoroughly rogered for fun every Friday night is entirely laughable.

Nick Graham isn't our saviour. He may be a little slow and not found his feet at AFL level yet, but he hasn't had a decent crack at it. We talk about player development and recruiting being poor. Well here is a guy we picked in the late second round, who seems to be a pretty good midfielder and growing each week in the VFL.

Give him a crack. If he doesnt make it, move him one. We are cactus this year anyway.

Ive stated for weeks that we should play Graham, and that I couldnt figure out why he isnt getting a game.

That doesnt mean there isnt a reason why he isnt getting a game.

On the part in bold, he might be meeting them less than others.  We dont know what they are.  Needless to say, they may change, and he might fit straight in.

We are getting belted by X points, is not the reason to take out a bloke who is doing what is expected of him.

Paul Hewson

Reply #68
We are getting belted by X points, is not the reason to take out a bloke who is doing what is expected of him.

I can't Imagine there are too many of these guys around.

If i was to hazard a guess, our clearances and Contested possessions are pretty good and strong, in which is Graham's role. We are getting chopped on the outside, which I don't think Graham would fix. But with Gibbs, Judd and Mick out, he'll get his turn.

#united #reset

Reply #69
I can't Imagine there are too many of these guys around.

If i was to hazard a guess, our clearances and Contested possessions are pretty good and strong, in which is Graham's role. We are getting chopped on the outside, which I don't think Graham would fix. But with Gibbs, Judd and Mick out, he'll get his turn.

Agreed.

We are a spare parts team at the moment.

We will probably pick 22 "fit" players, and go into this game hoping for the best, and expecting the worst.

We have always had shades of a spare parts patchwork best 22 with a few players that were probably not up to AFL standard playing more often than not, short some key position players, and a decent midfield.  It fired some weeks and not others.

From here, all we need to see is what some of these blokes are capable of and go from there.

Paul Hewson