Skip to main content
Topic: Re: Round 12: Carlton vs. Port Adelaide - Post match celebrations (Read 60366 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 12: Carlton vs. Port Adelaide - Post match celebrations

Reply #210
another example of a Carlton player being made an example of! This "rough conduct" is so highly open to interpretation. For example…….anyone remember the opening minute of the season?

Kam McIntosh drove Daisy into the turf and dislocated his shoulder, literally ruining his entire season. (Ball was gone, Gray still had a hold of it at least). No penalties there. Do you need to be carried off on a stretcher before the mrp step in? You could say “that’s part of footy” but Gibbs is rubbed out for two while McIntosh plays on…….

If Daisy hadn't thrown his arms out appealing for the free kick his shoulder wouldn't have been popped out in the first place.

I have no problem with Gibbs getting rubbed out, but the AFL must be consistent.I wait to see when Dangerfield or Slone bulldogs a guy into the ground and if Riccuito cries foul as much as he did with the Gibbs one.

Reply #211
So the question I want answered is .... is Gibbs being penalised for a sling tackle or for hurting a player in a tackle?

If for a sling tackle, why do we see these all the time yet they are not penalised?

If for hurting an opponent, why wasn't the bloke who slung Thomas in round one suspended?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #212
Carey was ropeable & absolutely scathing of the suspension on Talking Footy last night, it was great.....Watson, the AFL golden child, wouldn't dare speak out against anything they do & Darcey the "yes" man, sat on the fence as usual !

Got a bit of time for Carey as a media commentator, love or hate him in playing days, he says exactly what he thinks with no chocolate coating to make it easier for the AFL to swallow.

I love Carey as a commentator. Knows what he's talking about and tells things as they are without fear or favour OR agenda as far as I can tell. We need more like him IMO. I actually trust what he's saying.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #214
The rest of the football world really don't like us do they?

Fair enough... if they want to be "unsociable" let's give them "unsociable". ;D

...and let's (as a club) rant about everything we regard as wrong.
Being nice hasn't worked out for us.

Re: Re: Round 12: Carlton vs. Port Adelaide - Post match celebrations

Reply #215
You're missing his point Viv. You can't be suspending players according to whether the opponent is injured or not. It' either a suspension or it's not, injury should not have a bearing on the decision.

Perhaps read what i have posted again.

The system in place results in a rough conduct charge being triggered because of an injury being sustained. It's a catch all offence.  Of course the consequence of an action has a bearing on the penalty, it always has influenced the duration of a suspension. It is just much more so in the case of rough conduct, hence all the angst.

I dont like the end result of 2 weeks for Gibbs, but it is result of the system in place and it is attempting to serve a broader purpose.

Reply #216
Perhaps read what i have posted again.

The system in place results in a rough conduct charge being triggered because of an injury being sustained. It's a catch all offence.  Of course the consequence of an action has a bearing on the penalty, it always has influenced the duration of a suspension. It is just much more so in the case of rough conduct, hence all the angst.

I dont like the end result of 2 weeks for Gibbs, but it is result of the system in place and it is attempting to serve a broader purpose.

He hasn't been charged with rough conduct though has he? He's been charged with careless conduct. And the system is awful. Where there is no intent proven the consequence should not come into the equation.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #217
And in typical, weak, bend over Carlton fashion, we are not contesting the decision. Fking WAP Carlton, not like we are in finals contention, he already misses two anyway, we simply had to contest that ruling.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #218
He hasn't been charged with rough conduct though has he? He's been charged with careless conduct. And the system is awful. Where there is no intent proven the consequence should not come into the equation.

Charged with rough conduct that was classified as careless, with high inpact to the head. The matrix makes it 3 weeks with 2 for an early plea.

I agree that the system does not cope well with this sort of incident, as there is not room for what i believe is a need for greater discretion. It is a flaw in the MRP system. But providing for greater discretion would erode the system's more predictable elements and we would be back to the old tribunal system.

Reply #219
All the commentators were calling that he had 'concussion' yet he passed the concussion test straight away.  Craig Hutchison even had the temerity to say that Barker was building a case to save Gibbs!  Hutchison was doing the absolute opposite - in the meanest, hard-nosed way.  What a pile of shlte!

Reply #220
I reluctantly agree with the decision not to appeal.  However, we should be making our displeasure known to the AFL, pointing out the inconsistencies with the treatment of similar tackles, and demanding changes to the MRP process.

This is where a good president would be on the front foot with a carefully worded statement making it very clear that we're not happy.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #221
The rest of the football world really don't like us do they?

Fair enough... if they want to be "unsociable" let's give them "unsociable". ;D

...and let's (as a club) rant about everything we regard as wrong.
Being nice hasn't worked out for us.

It's a deal Lods, we are getting the stick from every direction so as far as I am concerned we have the right to do something about it! We are not going to make the finals, lets take a few out along the way!
The Force Awakens!