Skip to main content
Topic: Re: Round 12: Carlton vs. Port Adelaide - Post match celebrations (Read 61027 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Re: Round 12: Carlton vs. Port Adelaide - Post match celebrations

Reply #180
It's beyond farcical cookie.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #181
As far as I recall P, there was no slinging action at all in the Gibbs tackle. He had Gray well wrapped up yes but went to ground with him. No sling at all.  What are we saying now, that your not allowed to go to ground if you've got a bloke wrapped up?

I don't usually disagree with you cookie, but this time I must. I have watched the replay several times, and to me, if you watch Gibbs' head, back and the position of his legs, it definitely looks like he wants to get him to ground. If you watch Gibbs left leg, it tenses up as if he's getting ready to throw him down. At least that's how I see it.

Reply #182
It's beyond farcical cookie.

That's the way I see it as well mate! I am pi55ed orf in fact.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #183
I don't usually disagree with you cookie, but this time I must. I have watched the replay several times, and to me, if you watch Gibbs' head, back and the position of his legs, it definitely looks like he wants to get him to ground. If you watch Gibbs left leg, it tenses up as if he's getting ready to throw him down. At least that's how I see it.

We'll have to agree to differ on this mate.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #185
As far as I recall P, there was no slinging action at all in the Gibbs tackle. He had Gray well wrapped up yes but went to ground with him. No sling at all.  What are we saying now, that your not allowed to go to ground if you've got a bloke wrapped up?

But, (if I may) the sling tackle describes a style of tackle that has flung the tackled player into the turf face down. Banning such a tackle would be close to impossible, but rough conduct is a catch all offence that is in place to cope with such instances that arise in a contact sport.

Players do, according to the rules, have a duty of care to their fellow players, and it was, in the view of the MRP, rough conduct (the tackle) that was deemed careless and resulted in head high contact. Hence, 3 weeks with an offer of 2 with an early plea according to the matrix.

The result makes sense, but determing rough conduct can be tricky. The AFL have decided to err on the side of caution here and try to lessen the liklihood of such tackles being applied. It has also been helped by the recent holding the ball shift, whereby players are incentivised to dispose of the ball quicker, and lessen the chance of arms being trapped.

Call Gibbs a sacrificial lamb if you will, but a player got knocked out when his head crunched into the ground. The game is dangerous enough and tackling needs to be kept in check lest it become rugby league but played in 360 degrees.  Personally i think 3 weeks is overs as it lacked intent, but im struggling to come up with a better arrangement than what is currently in place with the MRP.

Reply #186
Call Gibbs a sacrificial lamb if you will, but a player got knocked out when his head crunched into the ground. The game is dangerous enough and tackling needs to be kept in check lest it become rugby league but played in 360 degrees. 

This is the exact kind of reactive attitude I'm talking about. It's footy, players will get hurt. Just because a player gets hurt, does not mean someone needs to be suspended. Unfortunately this is how the AFL deals with it.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Re: Round 12: Carlton vs. Port Adelaide - Post match celebrations

Reply #188
The way they are trained to tackle - pin arms and rotate to side - is to prevent them getting the ball away or giving away a free for in the back... so the side roll is a consequence of the rules.  The smaller players tend to tackle more like this from what I have seen.

I have no dramas Gibbs getting a penalty... as long as everybody else who performs a similar slinging action in a tackle is penalised similarly.  And I mean everybody... even blokes from Sydney and the whorks.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #189
One final post from me on this, and I'm done. The issue behind all this discussion ?

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/concussion-a-concern-from-elite-to-schools-20130227-2f6c2.html#comments

Well we may as well ban the game altogether because tackling is not the main issue when it comes to concussion.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #190

I thought it was two movements..tackles then sling but it wasnt malicious...reprimand or one week max....if we appeal he will get three IMO.
Gray not being able to come back on probably sealed Gibbs fate and the 2 week ban...

Reply #191
I think he had to be suspended... 1 week for mine.

I don't doubt that he hit the ground hard, but Port took a very cautious approach to sub him off. He passed a concussion test. Not saying that is wrong, but If he comes back on the ground then Gibbs doesn't get suspended.

It's a fine line.

Reply #192
Finally got to watch the whole game.

Great improved effort from the team, with the tackling in particular quite fierce. Tended to get their bodies engaged more in tackles rather than just grasping with their arms.

Best players for me were Murphy, Cripps, Bell and Rowe. Other good contributions from Gibbs, Docherty, Buckley, Henderson, Casboult, Everitt, Graham and Yarren.  Quite a few players drifted in and oht of the games, but the best players stuck at it the whole game.

We still had 100+ points kicked against us, when Schultz and westhoff had poor games, suggesting our defence still needs alot of work. But good run and carry out of half back and a preference for finding targets in the middle rather than thumping it along the lines.

Depends on how the game is played too. We had 100pts kicked against us in the '99 Preliminary final too.

Reply #193
Did anyone notice when our key forwards kicked goals on the weekend, they gave each other high fives with only their index fingers, Hendo, Everitt, Menzel Levi. It was so obvious in the first half of the game. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #194
Did anyone notice when our key forwards kicked goals on the weekend, they gave each other high fives with only their index fingers, Hendo, Everitt, Menzel Levi. It was so obvious in the first half of the game. ;)

Everitt was asked about it in an after game interview.  He said that he is a germophobe and doesn't want the skin contact of a high five.  He then said it was just a bit of fun  ::)

Perhaps it's just an expression of the freedom the players now feel.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball