Skip to main content
Topic: Re: Round 12: Carlton vs. Port Adelaide - Post match celebrations (Read 60561 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Re: Round 12: Carlton vs. Port Adelaide - Post match celebrations

Reply #195
I thought it was two movements..tackles then sling but it wasnt malicious...reprimand or one week max....if we appeal he will get three IMO.
Gray not being able to come back on probably sealed Gibbs fate and the 2 week ban...

Just had several more looks at this. OK, there was a very slight hint of two movements, rather than a single smooth descent. However, I too think it was certainly not malicious and did not deserve the penalty it received. Still can't escape the feeling of us being singled out every time and I'm still feeling pi55ed off.
Reality always wins in the end.

Re: Round 12: Carlton vs. Port Adelaide - Post match celebrations

Reply #196
Did anyone notice when our key forwards kicked goals on the weekend, they gave each other high fives with only their index fingers, Hendo, Everitt, Menzel Levi. It was so obvious in the first half of the game. ;)
they did this last week too.

Regarding the tackle, I have this to say.

If the outcome of the action dictates the validity with the action then the game is in strife.

If Gray hadn't hit his head no one would care.

Therefore it's an indictment on the game to suspend Gibbs.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #197
Just saw some tackling highlights on Footy Classified. Gets the blood pumping but loved how nearly every player went on with it after the tackle with a push or a shove.

Reply #198
Just saw some tackling highlights on Footy Classified. Gets the blood pumping but loved how nearly every player went on with it after the tackle with a push or a shove.

Not to mention the dropping of opponents with shepherds & body hits as Port players kicked the ball.......we were goddamn brutal & I loved it - I think Tom Bell did too, as he appeared to have great delight in unmercifully dumping every Port player he tackled.....
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #199
they did this last week too.

Regarding the tackle, I have this to say.

If the outcome of the action dictates the validity with the action then the game is in strife.

If Gray hadn't hit his head no one would care.

Therefore it's an indictment on the game to suspend Gibbs.

I mentioned this issue earlier; that rough conduct due to its nature is more subject to being assessed by the severity of the act than other offences.  The MRP system leads to this, but im not certain the previous tribunal system was better. Each had their pros and cons. The current system leaves little room for discretionary judgement in determining penalties.  More discretion may result in more inconsistencies though.

The game is in greater strife if players get seriously injured in the head, and the nature of the professional game increases the chances of this. Despite the nostalgia for supposed greater toughness in years gone by, the players are much faster and stronger than they were 20 years or more ago. Skulls have not got any thicker in this time, and more information is emerging on the damage such blows can inflict. The game is not and is not getting 'soft' by any stretch.

I agree that if Gray had stood up after the tackle then we would not be debating this, but the arrangements are in place because of a precautionary principle.

Another interpretation of this is that Gibbs and Gray were fortunate that the latter was not badly hurt, and that a three week penalty aint much.  A rugby player in Queensland died on the weekend from head injuries sustained in a tackle.

Reply #200
You're missing his point Viv. You can't be suspending players according to whether the opponent is injured or not. It' either a suspension or it's not, injury should not have a bearing on the decision.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #201
You're missing his point Viv. You can't be suspending players according to whether the opponent is injured or not. It' either a suspension or it's not, injury should not have a bearing on the decision.

I agree with that Carrots, it's either an offence or it's not.

But the MRP do take the injury into account. Unfortunately.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #202
Exactly. If Gibbs goes then any tackle like his must be dealt with in a similar fashion regardless of injury. And going by that we are going to have a lot of players suspended for thee weeks at a time.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #203
Carey was ropeable & absolutely scathing of the suspension on Talking Footy last night, it was great.....Watson, the AFL golden child, wouldn't dare speak out against anything they do & Darcey the "yes" man, sat on the fence as usual !

Got a bit of time for Carey as a media commentator, love or hate him in playing days, he says exactly what he thinks with no chocolate coating to make it easier for the AFL to swallow.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #204
I agree with that Carrots, it's either an offence or it's not.

But the MRP do take the injury into account. Unfortunately.

The irony of this situation is that this season a couple of players have been tackled in the same manor and ended up with concussion from hitting their head on their own team-mates in the process. If I recall one hit his head on a hip, the other hit his head on a knee. In those incidents none of the tacklers were reported or suspended and the MRP described it as an accident!

Secondly, the AFL has caused this situation by having that stupid 360 degree interpretation of the holding the ball. The AFL encourages tacklers to turn the tackled player through 360 degrees.

If Carlton appeal then Gibbs has a very good chance of getting off!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #205

That was pretty noticeable
Watch what happens here....they'll clamp down on it next time and it will be a free kick against us.

Reply #206
That was pretty noticeable
Watch what happens here....they'll clamp down on it next time and it will be a free kick against us.

I written in neon isn't it Lods?

Anyway, the more the press complain about us the closer they help us get to a top draft pick again!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #207
I written in neon isn't it Lods?

Anyway, the more the press complain about us the closer they help us get to a top draft pick again!

Yep, they want to keep their foot on our throat for sure.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #208
another example of a Carlton player being made an example of! This "rough conduct" is so highly open to interpretation. For example…….anyone remember the opening minute of the season?

Kam McIntosh drove Daisy into the turf and dislocated his shoulder, literally ruining his entire season. (Ball was gone, Gray still had a hold of it at least). No penalties there. Do you need to be carried off on a stretcher before the mrp step in? You could say “that’s part of footy” but Gibbs is rubbed out for two while McIntosh plays on…….