Skip to main content
Topic: The Judd Era - Expectation Vs. Reality  (Read 18718 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Judd Era - Expectation Vs. Reality

Reply #15
We were bouncing off the bottom of the competition and were absolutely broke...and out of favour with the AFL.

Fevola owes the club enormously for the constant level of attention he caused behind the scenes. 

We are in a completely different situation these days thanks to Pratt, Matheson and Judd.  They provided stability financially and increased results on and off the field.

We would have continued to be a total basketcase if they hadn't stepped up...

Makes me wonder why they didn't step up earlier before things spiralled totally out of control.

Reply #16
Then of course there's the argument that players like fev do not play in grand finals nor win premierships. Interesting fact that in 2010 we actually kicked more goals as a team than in 09 when fev kicked 89 goals

Total goals for the home and away season...

2008 - 323 (Fev - 99)
2009 - 333 (Fev - 89)
2010 - 315
2011 - 320
2012 - 299
2013 - 304

Reply #17
Then of course there's the argument that players like fev do not play in grand finals nor win premierships. Interesting fact that in 2010 we actually kicked more goals as a team than in 09 when fev kicked 89 goals

2008 - 323 (Fev - 99)
2009 - 333 (Fev - 89)
2010 - 315
2011 - 320
2012 - 299
2013 - 304

Righto, I stand corrected. Not too much difference in the goals however. And 2013 is a bit irrelevant to compare to fev of 08 and 09....by 2013 he was 31. Not sure his output would have been as good.

Reply #18

2008 - 323 (Fev - 99)
2009 - 333 (Fev - 89)
2010 - 315
2011 - 320
2012 - 299
2013 - 304

Righto, I stand corrected. Not too much difference in the goals however. And 2013 is a bit irrelevant to compare to fev of 08 and 09....by 2013 he was 31. Not sure his output would have been as good.

Yeah, but it was just to show that we haven't kicked as many goals a season since Fev. A good key forward makes a difference.

Reply #19
Fevola used to get us over the line in big games in front of big crowds, that's where he operated best. Perfect for finals footy. Would he have got us over the line in some of our narrow losses in 2010 and 2011? We can only guess but chances are yes considering we've been crying out for a decent forward ever since.

I feel sorry for him in that sense, he did the hard yards and performed consistently throughout our bleakest period. When we were finally good enough to challenge for a finals spot we decided to dump him and deprived him and us of the chance of him taking us all the way. It will forever remain as one of those great 'what ifs'. Once in a lifetime full forward ditched by club at 11 o'clock on premiership window. Club never wins premiership. CEO is happy though. ;)
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #20
Yeah, poor Fev. His thousand chances ran out. Poor bastard.

Reply #21
Post 2007 saw somewhat of a Carlton FC rebirth...not of the kind that many long-time fans are used to, littered with premierships, but to be simply back and involved in finals footy and daring to dream yet again. 

The arrival of Chris Judd sent everyone into raptures about how he'll lead us to our next flag and we will once again wear the crown of most premierships in the competition. Some of the expectations were clouded by judgement from too much excitement, others were clouded by experiences of glory years past, while some just innocently dared to dream. 

Fast forward to 2014 coming into a new season. Reflect and elaborate on your expectations of where you thought Carlton footy club would be at this point in time (2014), and whether it was a justifiable expectation, one clouded through the rollercoaster emotions of our game, or if you'd chosen a more cautious approach and had expectations in line with our current reality. 

Personally, I was guilty of a bit of premiership dreaming at the end of 2011 into the first three rounds of 2012. Justifiable? Well, the brave effort the boys put in against WCE over in Perth in that final, after belting Essendon in the EF the week before had me dreaming for season 2012. 

Thought we'd have played off in a Grand Final at the very least by now, and given some of the footy we played from late 2011 to very very early 2012, it was probably justifiable. On reflection, I was way off.  

Since mid 2012 however, my expectations have lowered to be more in line with our current reality. Am tipping us to miss the eight in 2014, though if everything goes right, we could finish as high as sixth. 

Be interesting to read what some of you had been expecting years ago when the 'Judd Era' began and whether or not the club's reality at this point in time matches up with said expectations of yesteryear. 

Don't be shy.  ;D

I do not expect to make the 8 this year.

Last year we finished 9th. 

I expect Adelaide and North to go past. I expect Gold Coast to be knocking on  the door of the 8. We cannot beat Footscray.

Of the present 8 I expect Collingwood to drop.

If the IN are issued on Napier Street, that might allow us to drop into the 8 again...

Might be very interesting times at Princes Park by years end given that Sticks is departing....

Reply #22
Fevola used to get us over the line in big games in front of big crowds, that's where he operated best. Perfect for finals footy. Would he have got us over the line in some of our narrow losses in 2010 and 2011? We can only guess but chances are yes considering we've been crying out for a decent forward ever since.

I feel sorry for him in that sense, he did the hard yards and performed consistently throughout our bleakest period. When we were finally good enough to challenge for a finals spot we decided to dump him and deprived him and us of the chance of him taking us all the way. It will forever remain as one of those great 'what ifs'. Once in a lifetime full forward ditched by club at 11 o'clock on premiership window. Club never wins premiership. CEO is happy though. ;)

Didnt stand up against the Saints ever.

Our Premiership window never even got close to open whilst he was with us.

I dont count losing in a qualifying as being close and if we were not a flash in the pan we would have at least played finals the following year.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #23

I dont count losing in a qualifying as being close and if we were not a flash in the pan we would have at least played finals the following year.

I reckon our window was going to open in the following two years with the natural improvement of the young players on our list. As it was there was definite improvement without Fev but we seemed to lack that killer punch.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #24

I reckon our window was going to open in the following two years with the natural improvement of the young players on our list. As it was there was definite improvement without Fev but we seemed to lack that killer punch.

But perhaps with better drafting and planning, that killer instinct could have already been on our list ready to go and fire in the forward 50. The loss of Fev exposed piss poor club planning in my opinion.

Reply #25
Hey guys, first time long time here. I would have to agree with you Mr. Gozza, aided by some bonehead recruiting and trading. How you trade Kennedy, sack Fev and still draft Lucas over Talia I will never understand and still baffles me. We should have been a top 4 team by now but in my opinion recruiting and list management is at fault.

Reply #26
Post 2007 saw somewhat of a Carlton FC rebirth...not of the kind that many long-time fans are used to, littered with premierships, but to be simply back and involved in finals footy and daring to dream yet again. 

The arrival of Chris Judd sent everyone into raptures about how he'll lead us to our next flag and we will once again wear the crown of most premierships in the competition. Some of the expectations were clouded by judgement from too much excitement, others were clouded by experiences of glory years past, while some just innocently dared to dream. 

Fast forward to 2014 coming into a new season. Reflect and elaborate on your expectations of where you thought Carlton footy club would be at this point in time (2014), and whether it was a justifiable expectation, one clouded through the rollercoaster emotions of our game, or if you'd chosen a more cautious approach and had expectations in line with our current reality. 

Personally, I was guilty of a bit of premiership dreaming at the end of 2011 into the first three rounds of 2012. Justifiable? Well, the brave effort the boys put in against WCE over in Perth in that final, after belting Essendon in the EF the week before had me dreaming for season 2012. 

Thought we'd have played off in a Grand Final at the very least by now, and given some of the footy we played from late 2011 to very very early 2012, it was probably justifiable. On reflection, I was way off.  

Since mid 2012 however, my expectations have lowered to be more in line with our current reality. Am tipping us to miss the eight in 2014, though if everything goes right, we could finish as high as sixth. 

Be interesting to read what some of you had been expecting years ago when the 'Judd Era' began and whether or not the club's reality at this point in time matches up with said expectations of yesteryear. 

Don't be shy.  ;D

I do not expect to make the 8 this year.

Last year we finished 9th. 

I expect Adelaide and North to go past. I expect Gold Coast to be knocking on  the door of the 8. We cannot beat Footscray.

Of the present 8 I expect Collingwood to drop.

If the IN are issued on Napier Street, that might allow us to drop into the 8 again...

Might be very interesting times at Princes Park by years end given that Sticks is departing....

I think you under estimate what the addition of Everitt and Thomas will do.

Special K is due to stand up too.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #27
I think you under estimate what the addition of Everitt and Thomas will do.

Special K is due to stand up too.

Good teams don't rely on ifs and buts (injuries aside).

If we're looking for improvement. Look no further than our captain. If he can have a consistent year as in 2011, then we look a lot better outfit and when we stop talking about if he can have a consistent year then we will be a show.

Reply #28
Hey guys, first time long time here. I would have to agree with you Mr. Gozza, aided by some bonehead recruiting and trading. How you trade Kennedy, sack Fev and still draft Lucas over Talia I will never understand and still baffles me. We should have been a top 4 team by now but in my opinion recruiting and list management is at fault.

It has in the past but looking at our trading and chasing FA, we look like we are moving the right direction. Time we look to the future. I'm keen to see if Cripps is a certain starter that can play immediately and make an impact. Docherty too as Everitt must be ready to play coming from the Swans.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #29

It has in the past but looking at our trading and chasing FA, we look like we are moving the right direction. Time we look to the future. I'm keen to see if Cripps is a certain starter that can play immediately and make an impact. Docherty too as Everitt must be ready to play coming from the Swans.

I would have to agree there Mantis, it does seem we are heading in the right direction now. I'm also very keen to see those three boys and the impact they can make. I feel that Watson possibly holds the key though, if he can stand up and let Hendo play forward we could potentially push top 4 with a bit of luck. We need to be a bit risky I feel if we are to match it with the big boys, Watson has shown signs hopefully there are more to come.