Skip to main content
Topic: Smith's Crew in SA (Read 82072 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Smith's Crew in SA

Reply #315
I'd be crying too if I lost a 2.4 million dollar IPL contract and had a to get a real job for 12 months..thought Smith had some genuine remorse but his record is smeared for life.

Bancroft..less impressed with his confession, no great loss to Aus cricket if he doesnt play test cricket again, one of the dumbest players I have seen..

Warner.....I guess he is getting some legal/PR advice and will give a more broad confession where he admits to minimal guilt and tries to save his 20/20 tournament career.

No real sympathy for any of them...they had it all and didnt appreciate the opportunities they have been given, others who appreciate it more deserve their place in the national team.....
Sure EB1. Take the point but suggest an examination of the wider inputs and implications of the crisis Is worth a go. That a personal emotional breakdown is taking place on a backdrop of a national one speaks of something deeper than some guys getting more cash than most can hope for. Bet the ex-captain would swap it for a living wage not for him and family not to be in this position. Gideon Haigh might not be to all tastes but he was righteously furious with the CA for overseeing and contributing to it all and isn't the only one.

Reply #316
James Sutherland please put your hand up.
Grab your filthy pay out and fark off

Reply #318
Yep... Lehman came to his senses and fell on his sword. Sutherland needs to do the same.

Bancroft and Smith have apologised and said the right things.

Over to you Dave Warner... 
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #319
Don't be surprised if Lehmann was given a fairly abrupt nudge!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #320
James Sutherland please put your hand up.
Grab your filthy pay out and fark off
I agree there. Remember how weak at the knees he went during "Monkeygate" with the Indians when they toured here.

Reply #321
It's very rare for top level sports-people to be money focussed, the ones who are stand out like Tomic and they rarely if ever make it to the pinnacle of sport because they are focussed on the side benefits of being a top level sports-person.

Smith's grief is genuine, he lost the sport and career he loves.

Bancroft looked like he was about to throw-up at any moment, he should be worried he might never return to the Test team.

Warner is going to be a very interesting case, I suspect he might be the one to launch an appeal, he might be the one to show some indignation at the level of the penalty relative to earlier cases.

How ironic is it that the IPL drop players for cheating, it's like Hitler sacking a bloke for being a murderer, the whole IPL survives on spot betting and match fixing!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #322
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/culture-of-winning-at-any-cost-has-polluted-junior-sport-20180328-p4z6nz.html

Maybe these "culture" problems start early?

Reminds me of when I used to watch my daughter play netball years ago now. Some of the over competitive comments from some of the parents were disgraceful and descended at times into personal insults of some of what were quite junior players. I must admit to being quite shocked and God knows what effect it had on the girls.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #323
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/culture-of-winning-at-any-cost-has-polluted-junior-sport-20180328-p4z6nz.html

Maybe these "culture" problems start early?

Reminds me of when I used to watch my daughter play netball years ago now. Some of the over competitive comments from some of the parents were disgraceful and descended at times into personal insults of some of what were quite junior players. I must admit to being quite shocked and God knows what effect it had on the girls.

They do Cookie2.

It's GF time for basketball at the moment, some of the reports coming out of under age games are to say the least a little disturbing and it's not just parents it officials.

I heard one recent report of an U12 GF boys basketball game were Refs technical fouled a team down to 2 players, then banned their coach for not finishing the game with only two players! FFS, it's an U12 game and kids were getting technical fouled for infringing fast breaks or obstructions! Apparently there were even U12 kids forced to leave the stadium after the 2nd technical foul, WTF! It's an U12 GF and the officials need to get over themselves!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #324
It's very rare for top level sports-people to be money focussed, the ones who are stand out like Tomic and they rarely if ever make it to the pinnacle of sport because they are focussed on the side benefits of being a top level sports-person.

Smith's grief is genuine, he lost the sport and career he loves.

Bancroft looked like he was about to throw-up at any moment, he should be worried he might never return to the Test team.

Warner is going to be a very interesting case, I suspect he might be the one to launch an appeal, he might be the one to show some indignation at the level of the penalty relative to earlier cases.

How ironic is it that the IPL drop players for cheating, it's like Hitler sacking a bloke for being a murderer, the whole IPL survives on spot betting and match fixing!

Warner is the most hated cricketer in the world according to HD Ackerman who I watched on a news show last night which also featured Gideon Haigh and Lisa Forrest of swimming fame...
Think the ICC and CA will want Warner out of International cricket for good...
The WACA have said they will support Bancroft and I would expect NSW cricket to do the same with Smith........of the two I expect Smith to make a return to test cricket.....reckon he wont tour SA ever again though...

Reply #325
Warner is the most hated cricketer in the world according to HD Ackerman who I watched on a news show last night which also featured Gideon Haigh and Lisa Forrest of swimming fame...
Think the ICC and CA will want Warner out of International cricket for good...
The WACA have said they will support Bancroft and I would expect NSW cricket to do the same with Smith........of the two I expect Smith to make a return to test cricket.....reckon he wont tour SA ever again though...

I have severe doubts about the character of Warner. He seems to have been at the centre of far too many "incidents" and controversy. If CA are determined to change the face of Aussie cricket there would definitely be no place for him even if he promised to be a good boy - far too much history and bad feelings around the world.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #326
I have severe doubts about the character of Warner. He seems to have been at the centre of far too many "incidents" and controversy. If CA are determined to change the face of Aussie cricket there would definitely be no place for him even if he promised to be a good boy - far too much history and bad feelings around the world.

Think CA, Lehmann etc have bred and fed an attack dog called  David Warner but never really trained him to follow commands and now he has bitten his owners and been impounded.
Smith is a weak captain and was an ideal captain for Warner who could get his own way with him...Bancroft the new eager to please puppy....
CA let it all go while the team was successful but the Saffies give as good as they get and are happy to get in the gutter  and slug it out...it got out of control, probably after Rabada got off Warner convinced Smith anything goes now and we had sandpaper/tape gate occur...
A stronger captain like Steve Waugh, Mark Taylor etc would have probably reigned in Warner. not started the chain of events in SA and backed themselves to win playing cricket not sledging or other silly games.
Warner is a knob but he has been allowed to be one and encouraged to a point IMO....

Reply #327

Well Ackerman is a Saffie cricketer, did he have to say about du Plessis and Rabada?

CA let it all go while the team was successful but the Saffies give as good as they get and are happy to get in the gutter  and slug it out...it got out of control, probably after Rabada got off Warner convinced Smith anything goes now and we had sandpaper/tape gate occur...

I think you underestimate the Saffies.

I've two friends both who have played rugby for SA, they live and breath sledging stuff far more than any Aussie I've ever talked to! When their sons played footy with my boy I've had to ask them, and their wives, for some restraint at junior matches. I put it down to growing up in the SA, a fairly harsh environment living in compounds behind razor ribbon, where a moments hesitation can cost your life!

I think it's quite wrong to claim they would only be retaliating to this stuff, or by inference that they have a better moral compass.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #328
Please stop being sensible and go with the public lynching, all Australian cricketers are liars and cheats, South African cricketers are choir boys, butter wouldn't melt in their mouths

Reply #329
One amendment EB:

Warner is a complete knob but he has been allowed to be one and encouraged to a point IMO....
Finals, then 4 in a row!