Skip to main content
Topic: 2020 SEASON SUSPENDED (Read 8148 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2020 SEASON SUSPENDED

Reply #60
I saw on Ch7 news last night the broadcasters are going to add canned crowd noise to the telecast when footy resumes. I have heard some dumb crape in my time but I reckon that just about takes the cake. I for one actually liked the crowdless telecast, you could really hear what was being said, the bumps and kicks on the ground. I must be the moronic minority. Having said that, they said they spoke to people in the US and Hollywood about it, makes perfect sense now. A dumber race of of people you will not find, why in gods name do we listen to them and follow their advice. >:(  >:(
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #61
So the handbaggers aren't going to push Stevens to discuss what went down... Kind of like not digging into what the weapon was up to.  If you don't like the answer,  don't ask the question...
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #62
I saw on Ch7 news last night the broadcasters are going to add canned crowd noise to the telecast when footy resumes. I have heard some dumb crape in my time but I reckon that just about takes the cake. I for one actually liked the crowdless telecast, you could really hear what was being said, the bumps and kicks on the ground. I must be the moronic minority. Having said that, they said they spoke to people in the US and Hollywood about it, makes perfect sense now. A dumber race of of people you will not find, why in gods name do we listen to them and follow their advice. >:(  >:(

Is it any different to 'canned laughter' used on most tv comedies?

Reply #63
Is it any different to 'canned laughter' used on most tv comedies?

Dont mind it on tv shows just not watching AFL, then again watching Carlton, maybe Benny Hill music would be more apt.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #64
I saw on Ch7 news last night the broadcasters are going to add canned crowd noise to the telecast when footy resumes. >:(  >:( 
They've been using it in NRL for decades, the NRL will probably be ahead of many other sports in broadcast quality when things resume for this reason alone.
It's sounds dumb, but I bet the AFLPA are right behind this idea. Have you watched much crowd-less sport/games? All it does is highlight the poor skills, because there is no longer a perception of pressure or intensity, sports look pedestrian and players look like Gumbys. The sound and crowd feedback glosses over many evils.

I wonder if leaving it as-is, sound and experience free, could actually be good for the sport, to help cut the wheat from the chaff and let really skilled footballers get a run ahead of robotic athletes!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65
So the handbaggers aren't going to push Stevens to discuss what went down... Kind of like not digging into what the weapon was up to.  If you don't like the answer,  don't ask the question...

The AFL Integrity Unit and VicPol aren’t taking such a soft line. 

At the very least, he has failed to comply with COVID-19 requirements.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #66
Dont mind it on tv shows just not watching AFL, then again watching Carlton, maybe Benny Hill music would be more apt.

I’d prefer to be able to hear the players, umpires, etc but the Benny Hill music would be better than canned crowd noise.

In fact, I wouldn’t mind situation appropriate music being played - similar to the pianist playing along to the silent movies ... so I’m told  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #67
I’d prefer to be able to hear the players, umpires, etc but the Benny Hill music would be better than canned crowd noise.

In fact, I wouldn’t mind situation appropriate music being played - similar to the pianist playing along to the silent movies ... so I’m told  ;)
 If BT, Ling and Darcy are calling they can run the The Three Stooges soundtrack in the background, or Mr Magoo for Bruce McAveny!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #68

Yes !
We can have hero music and of course villain music !! 🤣
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #69
They've been using it in NRL for decades, the NRL will probably be ahead of many other sports in broadcast quality when things resume for this reason alone.
It's sounds dumb, but I bet the AFLPA are right behind this idea. Have you watched much crowd-less sport/games? All it does is highlight the poor skills, because there is no longer a perception of pressure or intensity, sports look pedestrian and players look like Gumbys. The sound and crowd feedback glosses over many evils.

I wonder if leaving it as-is, sound and experience free, could actually be good for the sport, to help cut the wheat from the chaff and let really skilled footballers get a run ahead of robotic athletes!

Korean Soccer league is using blow up dolls to simulate crowds and the Germans have a novel idea to make a buck as well as entertain the fans by offering the supporters a chance to get cardboard cutouts of themselves and positioning them in the seats holding signs etc. Koreans got a bit ahead of themselves and used the wrong type of blow up dolls initially......the adult only variety...😉

Reply #70
Korean Soccer league is using blow up dolls to simulate crowds and the Germans have a novel idea to make a buck as well as entertain the fans by offering the supporters a chance to get cardboard cutouts of themselves and positioning them in the seats holding signs etc. Koreans got a bit ahead of themselves and used the wrong type of blow up dolls initially......the adult only variety...😉
You can't make those sort of stuff up, it's that funny, and no matter how good they think they are eventually the fakes get exposed.

I remember some controversy a few years back, in a big NRL game there was a massive hit and a major player broke a leg, the fans all saw that and went deadly quiet but the audio effects person missed it and queued up a cheers and jeers! The TV studio commentary crew lambasted the crowd for cheering and jeering a severe injury, before it was exposed on radio commentary as a faux pas by the broadcast crew. Nothing was ever officially mentioned, the issue just went quiet!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #72
The AFL Integrity Unit and VicPol aren’t taking such a soft line. 

At the very least, he has failed to comply with COVID-19 requirements.
I'm not sure why the HS kept putting it as a main story - the way I read the situation, it may have been self inflicted?

Reply #73
Re footy - It was atmosphere-less that first game, it sounded like a training drill - I would prefer some noise, fake or otherwise.  I've been watching our winning replays from last year (yes, i am that desperate), and the Benny Hill music would definitely have been right at home in some of our games!

Reply #74
Must I correct you all the time about your spelling EB?  It's "stimulate" with a "T" :)

Cap, I did see a photo from Sth Korea and it was a bit like that scene from " Flying High" in the cockpit, the dolls all had that smile on their face.....😎