Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 1 2020: Post Game Post Mortum: Carlton vs. Richmond (Read 13210 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 1 2020: Post Game Post Mortum: Carlton vs. Richmond

Reply #90
Come on LP, that's a bit exaggerated IMO. I watched the game again and that incident you refer to. Crippa actually shouldered him and whilst off balanced, his face glanced Crippa's shoulder. I hate the kents as much as the next bloke but thats BS trying to make something out of that.
Cripps didn't shoulder him, Cripps had his back to Riewoldt and it happened after the siren as they broke apart and started walking off.

I haven't watch the replay but be surprised if it is on the replay, that part of the game is usually edited out, you would need an uncut broadcast copy that shows after the siren.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #91
I know I'm backing over this issue one more time,  but can someone give me a rational explanation as to why we picked DeLuca over Picket in the mid season draft??? A glaring difference between us and Richmond last night was speed/class and decision making, they have play makers all over the mark changing the courses of plays, Marlion being one of them.
Because we pick choir boys who arent good footballers and teams like Richmond take chances on a wild child that can actually play.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #92
Cripps didn't shoulder him, Cripps had his back to Riewoldt and it happened after the siren as they broke apart and started walking off.

I haven't watch the replay but be surprised if it is on the replay, that part of the game is usually edited out, you would need an uncut broadcast copy that shows after the siren.
Its on the replay, watch it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #93
You can play the 'what-if' at every draft.

Why was Eddie Betts passed over by every club at the ND, only to be left to us in the PSD?
This one was different, we had our eye on him but the jail thing ticked the no box.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #94
You can play the 'what-if' at every draft.

Why was Eddie Betts passed over by every club at the ND, only to be left to us in the PSD?

I know mate and I normally don't do that 'what-if' stuff however there were many on this website calling for Marlion as the best talent in the draft (not me as I have no clue) but having seen the 2 play I'm at a loss to understand the choice. Anyway, time to move on.....
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #95
This one was different, we had our eye on him but the jail thing ticked the no box.
There was a time when the 'jail thing' was mandatory at our club...

Reply #96
There was a time when the 'jail thing' was mandatory at our club...
Yes, those days were the glory days
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #97
I know I'm backing over this issue one more time,  but can someone give me a rational explanation as to why we picked DeLuca over Picket in the mid season draft??? A glaring difference between us and Richmond last night was speed/class and decision making, they have play makers all over the mark changing the courses of plays, Marlion being one of them.

Tigers and us have different recruiting criteria when it comes to potential problem players....they took Ben Cousins, made Jake King a local hero and Pickett was a easy choice for them given they have such a strong list and have a higher risk tolerance.
We have the Von Trapp policy where SOS liked nice kids from nice backgrounds who went to nice schools and had Golden Retrievers as pets..

Pickett was clearly the best WAFL player on long form but was also injured and not due to play for 8-10 weeks...we needed an instant sugar hit and Deluca had been BOG in the recent state game and was also AFL ready after spending time at Freo. Deluca also had a delayed start but not the delay that Pickett was going to have.
I get the logic and dont blame SOS on Pickett but we do need to lower our eyes and get a bit more nasty with our recruiting selections every now and then and pick the rough diamond over the choirboy.

Reply #98
Tigers and us have different recruiting criteria when it comes to potential problem players....they took Ben Cousins, made Jake King a local hero and Pickett was a easy choice for them given they have such a strong list and have a higher risk tolerance.
We have the Von Trapp policy where SOS liked nice kids from nice backgrounds who went to nice schools and had Golden Retrievers as pets..

Pickett was clearly the best WAFL player on long form but was also injured and not due to play for 8-10 weeks...we needed an instant sugar hit and Deluca had been BOG in the recent state game and was also AFL ready after spending time at Freo. Deluca also had a delayed start but not the delay that Pickett was going to have.
I get the logic and dont blame SOS on Pickett but we do need to lower our eyes and get a bit more nasty with our recruiting selections every now and then and pick the rough diamond over the choirboy.

you got my vote!

Reply #99
Agree with pretty much everything in this thread. Have said it before numerous times in earlier threads.....my concern is and always has been the lack of progression from most of your younger recruits...Walsh being the exception. With so many relatively high end draft picks over a fair time now, we're still saying the same thing.....they're young and developing. Unfortunately, if we drop the likes of Dow, Setterfield etc....we go back to the same blokes like Kennedy, O'Brien, Lang etc who give us absolutely nothing.

Yes, missing Charlie, McKay and Betts is a massive chunk out of the forward line. Eddie would've been in his element last night with the amount of ball we actually had in the forward line. He chases, he tackles, he pressures....and he IS one bloke that only needs half a dozen kicks and he'll kick you 3 goals. Luckily Jack Martin took that mantle last night and fingers crossed when we get Eddie back they'll compliment each other nicely.

Hate to say it but Kreuzer is probably cooked now. He looked slow in the practice games and this injury means it might've caught up with him. Throw TDK and Pittonet in there and leave Levi as the permanent forward. He can spray it for sure on the set shot but I'd have him in there before McGovern simply for the fact that he gives it his all....we saw that last year when he was thrown around to all spots on the ground and responded superbly.

But if we're relying on Cripps, Walsh etc week after week then we're in line for another bottom 4 finish.

It's still early for sure but our disposal and skills were terrible in both practice games and yet there were a few that put it down to just being practice games. Well it was the real deal last night and we still sucked.

Reply #100
It's still early for sure but our disposal and skills were terrible in both practice games and yet there were a few that put it down to just being practice games. Well it was the real deal last night and we still sucked.
Gee whiz, who woulda thunk it? ::)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #101
Gee whiz, who woulda thunk it? ::)

Yes and our F50 entries especially in 1H were very poor quality, long bombs onto the heads of forwards rather than to advantage. We just don't learn, hell the Tiger game plan is based on taking advantage of that stuff.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #102
Yes and our F50 entries especially in 1H were very poor quality, long bombs onto the heads of forwards rather than to advantage. We just don't learn, hell the Tiger game plan is based on taking advantage of that stuff.
And with the bombs, they need to abandon that immediately for one reason, Gov. He was jumping at everything but its dangerous for his health, he is writing cheques his body cant cash.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #103
And with the bombs, they need to abandon that immediately for one reason, Gov. He was jumping at everything but its dangerous for his health, he is writing cheques his body cant cash.

As discussed elsewhere, its partly tactical.

We can continue to do that, we just tell him not to jump at them.

Reply #104

150% agree Cookie.

Why I constantly say we are the dumbest club in the comp.

Doesn't matter how many times we change the coach, get new blood in, early draft picks whatever, we still have NFI how to do a basic spot up pass to a leading forward.

How many times do we stuff it up when we are out and have space and our forwards are calling for it behind the defenders when there is space to lead into. No crap, but we learnt that at under 10s and under 12s.

Been a long time since I have watched a Carlton team move the ball into their fifty with any sort of system.

I like Jack but the pass he tried to execute when only 35 dead in front out was dumb football.   Then you have Plowman calling for the ball to take a running shot is again a play that shows no system. Murphy seeing it was Plowman and giving it to him was beyond stupid.

These are 2 examples of plays that teams with a system rarely if ever would try.