Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues vs. North Ballarat at Ballarat on Sunday (Read 11780 times) previous topic - next topic

Northern Blues vs. North Ballarat at Ballarat on Sunday

The weather for Sunday may put off people from attending this one. Certainly the crowd will be less than it was for the pre season game earlier in the year.

One of the things that irritates me most about Eureka Stadium is that there is no terracing. Only the front row can actually see the game, unless you are in the 'Member's Stand'.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Northern Blues vs. North Ballarat at Ballarat on Sunday

Reply #1
North Ballarat vs. Northern Blues   
Sunday, July 13   
Eureka Stadium at 2:00pm

North Ballarat

B   Hoy   Cook   Warren
HB   Tate   Searl   Lockyer
C   Horbury   Anthony   Rippon
HF   Schache   Curnow   Austin
F   Keeble   Staley   Couch
R   Wallace   Dumont   George
Int   Peters   Wilkins   Kiel    Tsitas   Boseley   Scott    Peel   Conroy   

Northern Blues

B:   McInnes   Watson   Byrne
HB:   Sheehan   Anthony   Dirago
C:   Lucas   Cripps   Reynolds
HF:   Holman   Walton   Buckley
F:   Wilson   Waite   Garlett
R:   Wood   Armfield   Cattapan
Int:   Temay   Bolger   Posar    Dufficy   M. Gleeson*   Totevski    Bransgrove   Wilkinson   Coulson

Good to see Buckley back: I wonder if he'll play?
The team doesn't look as impressive this week: more outs than ins.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
Weather is looking better at the moment, although still cold. The rain appears to be clearing up.

Interesting to see how Wallace for North Ballarat goes: he is a big American North have picked up. Hopefully Wood can keep up his recent good form: he can't be far away from a senior game.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
Yep, forecast for Ballarat isn't too bad... cold, but not so wet. Might grab the thermos and head up there... been interstate and missed a few games (Seniors and NBs).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #4
2014 Peter Jackson VFL
North Ballarat   3.6  5.8  11.10  15.13 (103)
Northern Blues   2.2  3.8  7.10  8.15 (63)

GOALS:
North Ballarat: Curnow 4 Wilkins 2 Austin 2 Couch  Keeble  Horbury  Warren  Wallace  Peters  Dumont
Northern Blues: Watson 3 Wood 2 Armfield Totevski  Reynolds

BEST:
North Ballarat: Anthony Warren Peters George Curnow Conroy
Northern Blues: Cattapan Watson Lucas Wilson Wood Armfield

Not a good day. No sign of Waite or Garlett either.

DISPOSALS: Cattapan 28, Lucas 26, Wilson 23, Byrne 19, Cripps 18

Watson, McInnes, Wood, Reynolds, Garlett, Cripps, Sheehan, Armfield, Temay, Lucas, Byrne all played. Note: Waite did not.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #5
Sounds like Watson had a decent game up forward.

Reply #6

That's where he should have been playing weeks ago. It was his best chance of staying on our list. Maybe too late by now - his goose is probably cooked.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #7
 Heres a report I put on FB earlier.  Just home from the Northern Blues game in Ballarat today..Here are my thoughts. Score North Ballarat 14.14.98 to Northern Blues 8.15.63.
Firstly North Ballarat held the lead for most of the day and were a quiet impressive team who work very hard and use the ball well and move it quickly and surprisingly well skilled, they are not a tall side and probably lack some KP players to be a real contender in this comp.. Fitzy is a great coach.
Enough about them, The NB's had a few good moments but really were outplayed for the majority of the game. Firstly there was some guys missing, Waite as Jared reported didnt play, Buckley and Holman didnt play either.
The highlight of the game as far as Carlton is concerned was the form of Matthew Watson, he played forward and kicked 3goals 3pts including a poster, but the impressive part was how hard he worked and his lead up work and clean marking, I really think he should be given an opportunity to be played as a fwd for the rest of the season in the 1sts, easily the biggest shining light of the match.
I'll go through the rest of the blues players and put my thoughts, without knowing any stats.
Pat Cripps was Ok, thought he was quiet early but worked into the game used the ball pretty well, don't think his stats will be super impressive but he is definetly something to work with,,pace is not his strong suit though.
Armfield was patchy but did some good things kicked a goal generally worked hard though
Lucas was pretty good early and late in the game i'm guessing his stats will read ok, he's dead set sheep dog of a player and wastes the ball too often for my liking, I descibe him as a very poor mans Gibbs, comes in with the tackles but rarely puts his head over the ball 1st, but at least Gibbs uses it well.
Reynolds might be a player, he wasnt prolific but did a few good things including a nice snap goal.
Cam Wood was pretty good, the best ruckman on the ground, kicked 2 goals and did a bit around the ground, he's a better player than Warnock imo.
Garlett was pretty disappointing for mine, played midfield most of the game but was totally out worked by the roosters boys, he did gather a few possies and wasted it a couple of times,
but looks totally out of sorts and disinterested at times.
McInnes did a few good things but didnt have anywhere near enough impact on the match.
Sheehan and Byrne the Irish boys didnt do alot, although Byrne was the better imo..he's a nice build of a lad.
Temay.ordinary.
Of the NB's players Wilson tried hard, Cattapan was good Wilkinson was pretty good, Walton did a bit down back.

Reply #8

That's where he should have been playing weeks ago. It was his best chance of staying on our list. Maybe too late by now - his goose is probably cooked.

At least he's contracted until the end of 2015.

Reply #9

At least he's contracted until the end of 2015.

Ok, I'd forgotten that. He has time to impress there RE.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #10
Made the trip to Ballarat. Particularly wanted to see how Jeffy, Cripps and a couple of others would perform.

Amateur hour!!!! We play in red and white and all our coaches/officials are all in Navy and white... Amateur hour! This attempted creation of the NBs is a farce... embarrassing. New Prez... FFS get us a stand alone seconds side. It is way beyond a joke. This half-@rsed compromise is just plain second-rate.

Overcast and colder than a politician's promise. Local bakery obviously supplies the pies - they were rippers.

Never really looked like winning although we did hit the lead at one stage, only to surrender it very quickly. Really lacked midfield grunt. Cachia would have been valuable. Missed Graham's 'ball magnet' qualities.

Lucas - mostly played in defense. Better and more competitive effort. Surprised he made the better players 6 though. I guess with the ball in our defensive 50 for so much of the game he was bound to have come under notice having got plenty of it but again, his disposal just doesn't hurt the opposition or have surety about it... always seems rushed and unsure! Not much dash and run, more, as I mentioned, a defensive focus.

Watson - one of the much better games I have seen from him. Somewhat pleasantly surprised by his attack on the aggott - played up forward and was one of our few dangerous forwards. Led well but blew a few good chances - should have finished with 4 or 5.

Cripps - rusty. Showed his class from time to time with a couple of good contested grabs and clearances but obviously still working his way back to match fitness. On our website it says he is 190 cm. If he is 190 cm I will chew off my own legs. Closer to 194. You can tell he's still getting used to his growing body! Another game or two should see him ready to return to senior action.

Temay -  :-X

Holman, Buckley, Cachia, Waite... did not play.

McInnes - serviceable. Real pity that this kid hasn't improved on last year.

Armfield - one of our best. Good on-field leadership and really encourages team mates from the sidelines and in the breaks. The fact he remains so focussed and involved for the entire 120 is a tribute to his commitment. He's way in front of Ellard... and maybe a couple of others.

Garlett - oh dear. Noticed that MM had a big chat with him after the qtr time huddle broke up. Did a couple of nice things but when in the centre -- needed his class and skill in the clinches -- didn't impact on the game nearly enough. But, going by the chat MM had with him and being given important on-ball roles he'll probably get a call up. But I wonder... even a bread and butter snap from him at a crucial stage only just snuck in for a behind.

Reynolds - didn't do enough. Shows glimpses with strong marks and good foot skills but just doesn't do enough else. Seems to be carrying an injury or has something stuck up his dot as he just didn't move freely or with enough endeavour.

Wood - good. Worked hard around the ground and took some timely marks in defense and attack. But I did notice that in a few 'pressure' situations he fumbled too much. He was encouraged to impose himself more on the game in the final quarter and just didn't seem 'fierce' enough.

The Byrne 'Ciaran' overshadowed the Sheehan 'Ciaran' for the first time I've seen them together. He's really learning some tricks and doesn't look out of place on the ball. The Sheehan 'Ciaran' gave an honest effort in defense but was shaded by his opponent who led him to the ball too often - beat him with footy experience.

Of the Preston boys Cattapan and Wilson were easily the best. A few of the Preston boys were really, really ordinary whereas there really weren't too many weaknesses in the Roosters line-up.

If you could transplant the Skipper's ticker and ability out of his 4'4" body into anything over 6' you would have a champ at AFL level.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #11
Made the trip to Ballarat. Particularly wanted to see how Jeffy, Cripps and a couple of others would perform.

A much appreciated sacrifice of a Sunday.

Watson - one of the much better games I have seen from him. Somewhat pleasantly surprised by his attack on the aggott - played up forward and was one of our few dangerous forwards. Led well but blew a few good chances - should have finished with 4 or 5.

Faint praise Baggers but probably the most positive appraisal you have given him so far.

He has shown very little (or less) as a defender. Do you think he is a chance as a half-forward who can launch the ball from outside the arc?

Reply #12
I read a tweet saying Watto actually ran someone down.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #13
The Northern Blues isnt  working and Luke Webster to me has little idea how to develop them into a team....our two best players are a small  unit in Sam Cattapan who will probably never get to play AFL footy and it was the same last season with Lambert and Marcon.
Cameron Wood is the other but he is purely backup and appears destined to just make up the numbers.....there seems little future in even having him on the list and we probably should have got the next Sam Jacobs from the SANFL/WAFL....

We need a standalone to to develop our players and we need a coach who is better than Webster...he has done nothing with this team and developed no one...