Skip to main content
Topic: The Greyhound Industry (Read 17341 times) previous topic - next topic

The Greyhound Industry

Four Corners really ripped the Greyhound racing industry a new one with that expose on the use of live baiting, and what a disgrace that practice is.

Here in NSW, the board of Greyhound Racing and their chief executive have been stood down and the fallout continues on a daily basis.

Clearly this issue is deep seated and firmly entrenched across the racing fraternity and it will take some very strong leadership to clean up the whole mess.

Nothing short of lifetime suspensions & jail sentences will rid the industry of the dodgy practitioners.

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: The Greyhound Industry

Reply #1
An industry I would like to see the back of altogether. The death toll of failed racing dogs is an outrage apart from anything else.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #2
An industry I would like to see the back of altogether. The death toll of failed racing dogs is an outrage apart from anything else.

And like horse racing!

But I suppose you have to be more objective about this, if the inference is you would be saving the greyhounds that seems wrong. Really your inference talks to any human endeavor that breeds animals, from Free-Range Chickens to Endangered Species in Zoological Gardens.

So the request for a wholesale end to the industry is really arguing elimination of the animals, as it is the commercialization that keeps the breed viable! Greyhounds would probably go the way of the dinosaurs if there is no racing industry, they have no real advantages as a domestic breed. Furthermore, there are veterinary techniques applied to all animals globally, domestic and endangered natives, that probably would not exist today if not for those commercialized industries including the racing industry!

Be careful what you ask for, you might get it!

Don't want to become the crazy person pushing a shopping trolley full of starving greyhounds around the CBD asking for donations! ;)

Clean it up, make it transparent and let them get on with what to most is just a hobby!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
Your inference about saving greyhounds is wrong LP. I fully accept that the numbers of such dogs would diminish over time and be limited to a few enthusiast owners.

I have a Staffie, the origins of that breed being bull baiting. Not too many of them following that career path these days but they are certainly very popular as pets.

Reply #4
Your inference about saving greyhounds is wrong LP. I fully accept that the numbers of such dogs would diminish over time and be limited to a few enthusiast owners.

I have a Staffie, the origins of that breed being bull baiting. Not too many of them following that career path these days but they are certainly very popular as pets.

True, but your terrier may need a hip surgery one day using techniques that were probably sponsored, developed and paid for by the racing industry.

I understand the concerns of the good hearted, but I see the hypocrisy as well! It's like people who refuse vaccination for their children, happily contributing to potential pandemics that kills thousands of others. It is the difference between seeing and observing, there will be a price to pay on both sides of the ledger, there always is!

Seriously, banning anything is almost as useless as banning breathing. Turn cleaning the greyhound industry up into a profit center, and you will achieve both goals!

A good example is farming crocodiles, two or three decades ago they were endangered. Hunters legal and illegal were cleaning them out faster than they could be counted. Once the farming started the rivers and beaches became littered with crocs, so much so that now people call for them to be culled! Commercialization saved a species, and it could do the same for most others!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
@LP
You sound like an apologist for the Greyhound racing industry LP. What you say is certainly a piece of creative propaganda but I think the cause of canine welfare could be quite adequately furthered without Greyhound racing.

Reply #6
@LP
You sound like an apologist for the Greyhound racing industry LP. What you say is certainly a piece of creative propaganda but I think the cause of canine welfare could be quite adequately furthered without Greyhound racing.

Not at all, I don't own one, I don't work in the industry and I don't bet on them.

But I am not blind the way my own pets, the pets of others and the endangered species benefit from advances made by industrialization.

I wouldn't close all banks because there are bank robbers, and I wouldn't hang an entire industry because of some bad eggs.

Think deeper, there are solutions without the need for anarchy! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
@LP

Not at all, I don't own one, I don't work in the industry and I don't bet on them.

But I am not blind the way my own pets, the pets of others and the endangered species benefit from advances made by industrialization.

I wouldn't close all banks because there are bank robbers, and I wouldn't hang an entire industry because of some bad eggs.

Think deeper, there are solutions without the need for anarchy! ;)

Now you are getting dramatic........again. ;)

Oh, and what you are doing doesn't sound like deep thinking, more rationalisation.

Reply #8
Now you are getting dramatic........again. ;)

Oh, and what you are doing doesn't sound like deep thinking, more rationalisation.

Should we ban all monsters because of the bad ones? ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
I'm not opposed to greyhound racing but I am outraged by the cruelty exposed in the Four Corners program.  I am opposed to the euthanasia of young healthy dogs that couldn't quite run fast enough.  I am also extremely opposed to the exsanguination of greyhounds as they are euthanised.  Furthermore, the practice of allowing the greyhound industry (and other industries across the board) to self-regulate is a recipe for disaster.  Governments and big business proposing to cut 'red tape' are simply allowing bad practice and, in this case, extreme cruelty, to thrive.

My first exposure to the greyhound industry was in the early years of high school when one of my classmates gave a talk on his greyhounds during which he explained that he used a .22 rifle to dispose of any that weren't fast enough.  In complete contrast, one of my fellow students at university had racing greyhounds that were treated as family pets and stayed with the family when they retired.  He was appalled at the live baiting that was going on then and, quite correctly, maintained that sight hounds didn't need to be 'blooded' in order to speed after the lure.

That to me is one of the worst aspects of this live baiting scandal; it's unscientific mumbo-jumbo that subjects defenceless creatures to agonising deaths.

If the greyhound industry is to continue, there must be strict supervision of trainers so those still living in the dark ages cannot get away with cruelty.  There should also be a limit on greyhound breeding so that unwanted dogs aren't euthanised willy nilly.  Perhaps greyhound owners should be prohibited from adding to their dogs unless they successfully re-home unwanted dogs.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #10
The greyhound racing industry has proved to me repeatedly over the years that it cannot be trusted to do the right things. It's had plenty of chances but where the interests of greedy people govern matters of animal welfare then we all know what will take precedence.  It cannot be sensibly reformed IMO, I don't believe that a lot of the people involved in it are capable of that.

Reply #11
The greyhound racing industry has proved to me repeatedly over the years that it cannot be trusted to do the right things. It's had plenty of chances but where the interests of greedy people govern matters of animal welfare then we all know what will take precedence.  It cannot be sensibly reformed IMO, I don't believe that a lot of the people involved in it are capable of that.

I think that's the crux of the matter Cookie; the greyhound industry is incapable of self-regulating (as are most sporting and other industries).  Unless greyhound racing is overseen by an independent body (with animal welfare body participation), we will continue to see mistreatment of greyhounds and other creatures.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #12
I think some people react too quickly with matters relating to animals. There was an outcry when 2 horses died on Cup day with calls for the racing industry to be shut down. People are now wanting the greyhound industry to be shut down. We didn't have this outcry that the AFL should be shut down with what was happening to humans at Essendon
I've been mixed up with the racing world 20 or so years back and there are some racehorses that get better treated than some people treat their children. I've also know greyhound trainers who do the same.
Unfortunately in many walks of life where there is money involved greed and the dark side tend to take over

Reply #13
I think some people react too quickly with matters relating to animals. There was an outcry when 2 horses died on Cup day with calls for the racing industry to be shut down. People are now wanting the greyhound industry to be shut down. We didn't have this outcry that the AFL should be shut down with what was happening to humans at Essendon
I've been mixed up with the racing world 20 or so years back and there are some racehorses that get better treated than some people treat their children. I've also know greyhound trainers who do the same.
Unfortunately in many walks of life where there is money involved greed and the dark side tend to take over

Well said c4e.

I also know a few greyhound owners/trainers and they are damn good people despite what Cookie says.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #14
About 20 years ago I was in a pub and two brothers came in.  After a few drinks one urged his brother to tell the story.  He told of taking 2 dogs to Sale and putting then through trials.  The black dog was considerably faster than the white dog but he entered the white dog.  Turns out he had coloured the black dog from white.  At the meeting his 'white' dog was at long odds, which he took for quite a bit.  His 'white' dog duly won and he went to the ring to collect.  His pockets were full of notes when he got the 'tap-on-the-shoulder' to meet with the stewards.  The stewards knew something was wrong but could not really work out what.  Had the dog been given a stimulant?  A ring-in?  So they said to him we can take this matter to Melbourne or we can deal with it here.  When it was explained that 'dealing with it here' meant a fine of $200 he agreed to that.  He said that the hardest part of the night was to slip only $200 out of his pockets (which were loaded with notes) without showing the stewards how much he had won.  He went on to become a horse trainer around Cranbourne and was banned for doping.