Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton vs Brisbane Practice Match (Read 19854 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton vs Brisbane Practice Match

Reply #75
Interesting stat....
Blues lay 47 tackles in a 45pt loss
Blues AFLW lay 70 tackles in a 21pt win

I think a few players might benefit from training with our girls. They know how to fight back at all costs, and keep applying pressure. Areas that were sorely lacking in tonight's performance.

Lions are a great outfit.
Blues have a long way to go based on the Marsh series.

We beat the Lions last year in the real season, no reason we can't or won't this year...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #76
Piss poor that Teague doesn't front the media but instead send out his lieutenants....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #77

I was banging on about trying to recruit him for most of last year. I got my wish.

My take on him and what he could do for the side was relatively simple. He is a 'set and forget' type player. Turns up, does whats expected and moves on to next week. Albeit in a different role, its something like what Nick Newman or Ed Curnow offers us. You might not notice him much but at the end of the day he has his 20 touches and was not beaten. Get 22 of them and you win more games than you lose. With the amount of kids we have, we could use a few more 'set and forget' types.
 This is what i wrote about Newnes recently. I've said similar over the past 6-12 months.

Just looking through the stats....
Newnes 20 touches.
Curnow 20 touches
Newman 19 touches

I know it was far from his best game......and lets face it, nobody really turned up after half time.....but he does 'as advertised'. Not sure where all the hate is coming from. Plenty of 'mates' on the day.

Reply #78
This is what i wrote about Newnes recently. I've said similar over the past 6-12 months.

Just looking through the stats....
Newnes 20 touches.
Curnow 20 touches
Newman 19 touches

I know it was far from his best game......and lets face it, nobody really turned up after half time.....but he does 'as advertised'. Not sure where all the hate is coming from. Plenty of 'mates' on the day.

These players, Newnes and Ed are perennial butchers of the football.  It wouldn't matter if they had 30 touches, in fact, you don't want them to have 30 touches.  Ed is a tagger only.  He cannot kick properly- e.g all his kicks go up in the air.  Newnes was horrible at the saints (hence his dropping) and will be horrible at our club.  It is not rocket science.  Retreds are cheap but cause your car to be a danger to everyone on the road when they fail.  Our coaching is horrible (line coaches) and the board is a joke.  I have been saying this for about 10 years on here but noone listens.  17th or 18th.   Again.

Reply #79
These players, Newnes and Ed are perennial butchers of the football.  It wouldn't matter if they had 30 touches, in fact, you don't want them to have 30 touches.  Ed is a tagger only.  He cannot kick properly- e.g all his kicks go up in the air.  Newnes was horrible at the saints (hence his dropping) and will be horrible at our club.  It is not rocket science.  Retreds are cheap but cause your car to be a danger to everyone on the road when they fail.  Our coaching is horrible (line coaches) and the board is a joke.  I have been saying this for about 10 years on here but noone listens.  17th or 18th.  Again.
 You've been banging on for 10 years.....still yet to say something positive. No wonder noone listens.

Reply #80
Piss poor that Teague doesn't front the media but instead send out his lieutenants....

It's probably part of the whole empowerment strategy.

I think Amos and Harford are the two best speakers currently at the club, apart from maybe Judd.

Reply #81
Not impressed.

And in deference to the hyperoptimists that frequent this site,  Newnes is a very average footballer, added to a very average list with sparse quality. And that's the problem.   Too many who aren't, can't and simply don't deliver.

2020 looks very much like 2019 rinse and repeat.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #82
1 goal after 3/4 time, 3.4 to 10.10 in the second half. Thats putrid. I'm sorry but Im not buying this "wait until the real stuff starts". If we lost but were competitive for 4 qtrs, I wouldn't have cared less. But that effort? Thats what we have been doing for the last 5 years and nothing has changed (practice match or not). Either we were just mucking around and not disclosing how we are really going to play or we still have serious structural problems (especially forward of centre). Our forward line was shambolic for the most part. If we show up like that round one, we will get spanked by Richmond by 100+ points. I am really concerned, convince me otherwise.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #83
Small - medium defenders were putrid, and worryingly so,  and Marchbank is injured again. Been a lot invested in that bloke for very little reward.

Reply #84
Small - medium defenders were putrid, and worryingly so,  and Marchbank is injured again. Been a lot invested in that bloke for very little reward.

According to Amos, both Marchbank and Plowman have low grade injuries that are not a major concern - Marchbank received a knock on the knee, Plow rolled his ankle.

Reply #85
They're injured...that's a soft  excuse from Amos.   Don't play or come off.   They were rubbish and need a drastic form turnaround in the next fortnight. The whole club does.

The defensive positioning, ability to keep their feet,  and inability to win one on ones was poor and isn't going to be rectified overnight. 

Reply #86
What makes this so bad is that other clubs are also tinkering with game plans, trialling players etc - so it's a relative comparison and that's why we (including me) have had such a visceral reaction to the performances. Comparatively, we are looking at 4th last....at best. Let's be honest, for those who attend the AGMs will no doubt find MLG's performances as cringeworthy - he's not up to it and with the push by the board led by MLG to convert Ikon Park into a training ground rather than an AFL ready stadium (for initial use by the AFLW), is testimony of the fact that the current board will continue to set back our once great club. #disgusted.

Reply #87
Nuh, not buyin' it. Something's crook in Tootgarook. Thank the gods for Eddie and JM and the reborn Casboult otherwise our score would have been even more meagre.

Seems to me too many players thought last year's momentum would effortlessly flow into this year, and then, also, believe our own hype. And let's be honest re last year - we put experience in the middle and successfully beat those sides that were struggling for whatever reason. Good sides applied pressure and we still resorted to type, fold up. Does that amount to simply being soft between the lugholes (as a playing culture)?

We need some serious work done above the shoulders on our playing culture/group. Opposition clubs know that once you apply and sustain serious pressure on our blokes they go into their shells, lose all boldness and become mostly a group of head-droppers - one dimensional stuff. Well, that's how it looks and you can only go by what you are presented with. Results don't lie.

Scratching around for positives - Martin, Eddie, De King, Jones, Weitering, Walsh and of course, Cripps. And how good we look without opposition pressure.

There has been heavy investment off field in our club, a poor year on-field (again!) will most certainly see turmoil and change.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #88
It was Neale and Cameron that did the damage. Indeed they have recruited well

Reply #89
Some of us are a little (greatly) concerned after the practice games.
Others are a "wait until the proper stuff starts" type of supporter.
I've always been in the latter camp.
There's nothing wrong with either train of thought...it's just different.

I remember when we used to win, or go very well, in the pre-seasons only to fall in a heap once the season proper started.
It's chalk and cheese.
Have  a look at the results in some of the other practice games and tell me that's a true indication of the relative strengths of some sides.

We won't know which way it goes until the first shots are fired in 'anger'....and for me that's the main difference between practice games and regular season games.
There's no anger., no intensity and very little pressure in these games.
It will increase dramatically when 4 points are on the line.
Some clubs will thrive under those conditions, others will falter.
That's when we'll be able to see where we really stand.