Skip to main content
Topic: List Changes 2018 (Read 80469 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: List Changes 2018

Reply #45
I like how SOS operates, Mullet and Oshea showed little and he flicked them after 12 mths. If LeBois is shown the door Ill understand. If he is given another year, it means SOS thinks given a go fair go with injury, he has the tools to play AFL (and Ill understand that also).

Gowers is a good example of why not to judge a book too early or think. Lebois hasn’t shown nearly enough compared with what gowers did, but then again SOS didn’t recruit Gowers.

Reply #46
He did really well the other day at the VFL Awards. I would have thought that would do him some good. But then there was the message put out by Carlton suggested that some of our senior players may be put on the rookie list. If that happens, and it is looking likely, then we won't get a lot of picks in the draft without trading out some players or delisting guys I don't think we really want to flick. That makes it harder for both Fisher and Palmer.

The other thing is our interest in guys like Fasolo and McGovern. Fasolo and McGovern fill the role that Palmer would fill, and probably better. With out other forward options I cannot see us recruiting lots of guys for that role, especially with Matthew Wright to compete against.

I reckon that has put a lot of pressure on Garlett, Pickett and leBois as well. if we trade for a small forward, not likely, but not impossible, one of those three will go. Probably LeBois. (I really don't know what is going on with Garlett, even with him having an operation. He couldn't have too bad or we would have scheduled his surgery earlier.)

If the trades fall through, then Palmer really comes into the picture. But Fasolo and McGovern are looking like some of our more likely successes.

Thanks crash.

I have liked both of Fisher and Palmer and am hoping Fisher gets onto our rookie list even if Palmer doesn't.

Both of them are better than Lebois.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #47
Thanks crash.

I have liked both of Fisher and Palmer and am hoping Fisher gets onto our rookie list even if Palmer doesn't.

Both of them are better than Lebois.
I agree. LeBois MIGHT be good, but he is incredibly fragile. He is also not as fast as he thinks he is. He gets caught often.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #48
Gowers is a good example of why not to judge a book too early or think. Lebois hasn’t shown nearly enough compared with what gowers did, but then again SOS didn’t recruit Gowers.

For every Gowers, there is about 3 Watsons, Hartletts or Edwards....

Reply #49
For every Gowers, there is about 3 Watsons, Hartletts or Edwards....

That's a very conservative estimate Kruddler  ;)

I thought Gowers had a bit going for him but wasn't surprised when he was cut.  It would have been poor list management to keep him for another year in the hope that he would pull his finger out.  Getting the ask seems to have given him the drive that wasn't there before but I suspect that he may not be a long term prospect.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #50

I thought Gowers had a bit going for him but wasn't surprised when he was cut.  It would have been poor list management to keep him for another year in the hope that he would pull his finger out.  Getting the ask seems to have given him the drive that wasn't there before but I suspect that he may not be a long term prospect.

You don't waste your time thinking too hard about rookies.

You give them a couple of years and if they haven't cracked a game, move on.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #51

Credit to the Bulldogs for playing him forward and finding his niche, he also looks a lot bigger and stronger and thats probably natural development.....I'd agree though when he was cut he didnt show much and it would be hard to argue keeping him..
Of course then you have JesseGMac who showed nothing but was retained....probably because he was Key Position or maybe interstate rookies have to get 2 years minimum, correct me if I am wrong.
Lebois is another who should be cut if you are applying the same logic that was applied to Gowers...

Reply #52
The GF is coming up. but the noise over possible trades has dropped off. Not a lot to report, but.... :)

Update #3   24/09/2018
Senior List:
Still in the 'Phony War' Period. Next week is the Draft Combine. More action soon, but not much expected until after the GF.

2018 List:   40 players Present AFL Maximum

Confirmed Delistings:
[1]   Aaron Mullett – contract not renewed
[2]   Cam O’Shea – contract not renewed.

Confirmed Additions:
Nobody yet. Lots of noise and lots of names, but nothing concrete.
The most likely, at this point is Alex Fasolo from Collingwood. Not really what I want, but that deal appears done. He will be a Free Agent, so at least he won't cost us anything. Mitch McGovern is looking more likely than not, although the probability of getting a decent deal with ADELAIDE looks remote. I expect us to pay overs, if it works out. Setterfield is still in Limbo. Shiel is looking less likely to leave, for all the baying of the dogs. Menzel was brought up: he is looking extremely improbable (and I am not disappointed). Brodie: that one has gone very quiet. Not sure what is going to happen there.
I am sure I have missed some: everybody seems to be linked to us at the moment, whether we really need them or not.

Potential Delistings, Retirements or Out-trades:
[1]   Matthew Kreuzer – No word about how he is going. A potential retirement.
[2]   Sam Kerridge – Kerridge has not been offered a contract at this time. It has been suggested that the club may rookie him, depending on how the trades go.
[3]   Jarrod Garlett – No mention of Garlett in dispatches since he went on for surgery. Not sure what is going to happen here. I think he has a contract, but paying it out is not impossible if he isn't headed in our direction.
[5]   Matthew Lobbe – Likely to remain with the cloud over Kreuzer, but he really isn't a long term option unless out midfield mutates into something unbeatable.
[6]   Nick Graham – Puss has not been offered a contract for 2019 yet, and has been told his fate depends on the trade period. To be honest, I think Puss has the highest probability of being elsewhere in 2019 of all of the potential list changes.
[7]   Andrew Phillips – Looks unlikely at the moment, but is not impossible.
[8]   Levi Casboult – Levi’s name has been conspicuous by its absence in trade talks. I think he will stay, but he could be a very interesting trade option.
[9]   Matthew Wright – like Kerridge and Graham, his contract talks have been suspended until after the trades. He may be demoted to the rookie list.
[10]   Jed Lamb – I thought he would be unlikely to be under pressure with the way he finished the season, but his contract talks have also been put off until after the trades. He could be a rookie yet.

This could get us 12 changes in the senior list, although I doubt that will happen. Simpson, Thomas and Rowe have a new contract for 2019.

Potential Additions:
[1]   Ben Silvagni – looking more likely as a rookie pick at this point. We have problems: we cannot bring in more guys than go out. I think Ben will be our last live pick, but ...

Other names on the trade list include Shiel (GWS), Dunstan (St.K), Dahlhaus (WB), McGovern (Ad), Setterfield (GWS) and more!

Rookie List:
Rookie players are able to play senior footy pretty much straight away, and conditions continue to change. However, the rookie list will remain in 2019.

Confirmed Departures:
[1]   Matt Shaw – not offered a new contract
[2]   Jesse Glass-McCasker – not offered a new contract and looking less likely to be offered a rookie spot with 4 senior potentially becoming rookies.
[3]   Alex Silvagni – Retired. I haven't heard anything of his intentions for 2019 yet.

Confirmed Additions:
Nobody at this point. But Lamb, Wright, Kerridge and Graham are now in the picture.

Possible further Departures:
[1]   Kym LeBois – Looking more probable as the trades go on. Possible delisting. To be honest, I am amazed he has survived this far.

Cat B Rookies:
[1]   Cillian McDaid
Definitely remaining for 2019.
But we can recruit more Cat B rookies, just not from Ireland.

Potential Additions:
[1]   Liam Hickmott – looking a bit more likely as he won the B&F for Colts in WA.
[2]   Will Hickmott - I am expected Will to be picked up, even with his less than stellar Carnival.
[3]   Ethan Penrith – looking less likely now with the senior players in the picture. If he could kick, he would be a certain inclusion.
[4]   Sam Fisher – I'd like to see Fisher get a go, but for a team on the bottom, we have remarkably few list changes in sight.
[5]   Jesse Palmer – looking less likely now, with McGovern and Fasolo to compete with.

Conclusion:
I expect changes. We cannot trade everybody in without some players going out. We will have pick #1, unless we trade it and pick #11 (Priority Pick). We then have 2 second rounders, then a 4th rounder. With the top echelon of this draft cohort looking very good, I simply cannot see us trading our way out of it. There is too much talent on offer. But the number of changes appear to be more significant than was expected not that long ago.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #53
Matthew Wright has retired. He has been good value for us, even though he struggled this year. One more spot now open on the list.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #54
This seems odd.. . Returning to SA to pursue coaching?

we've pushed him out?

Reply #55
Matthew Wright has retired. He has been good value for us, even though he struggled this year. One more spot now open on the list.

Really sad about this one. Have loved was he's brought to the Blues, was hoping he still had another season or two in him.

Reply #58
Really sad about this one. Have loved was he's brought to the Blues, was hoping he still had another season or two in him.
Maybe he's part of the McGovern deal....?    ::) ::)
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #59
Agree 100%.

Most of us will like Matty Wright and are sad to see him go, but the writing was on the wall this season, things on our list are speeding up and he's not getting across the turf any faster than he has in the past!

His call makes sense, at his career stage he should take the opportunities as they come!

With Wright's departure it's time to get SoJ, Jones and Kerridge spending more time creating chaos inside F50 at the feet of McKay and Kerr.
The Force Awakens!