Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 4 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 2644 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 4 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #91
The big thing out of this victory - is our boys stayed engaged in the contest.
Even the final moments of the match where Crippa called TDK out of the ruck contest that threw Jackson into a tangent and made a big error. What a move by Crippa.

Confident. Committed. Composed.
Well drilled finishing nous.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #92
Even the final moments of the match where Crippa called TDK out of the ruck contest that threw Jackson into a tangent and made a big error. What a move by Crippa.
Whether that was pre-planned or not we'll never know, but you can only do it when you have ultra mobile type rucks like TDK or Jackson as they become an extra stoppage player in the zone.

FWIW, back when we had both Kreuzer and Hampson in F50 we would do a similar thing, because they were both mobile enough around stoppages, it left the opposition not knowing which ruck would contest and which ruck would rove, I never understood why we didn't implement it more. There are some old clips floating around of Kreuzer and Hampson roving to each other for goals. The 3rd man up stifled the tactic for a while, and now having to nominate reduces some of the impact, but it still works if you have the right options available.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #93
Whether that was pre-planned or not we'll never know, but you can only do it when you have ultra mobile type rucks like TDK or Jackson as they become an extra stoppage player in the zone.

FWIW, back when we had both Kreuzer and Hampson in F50 we would do a similar thing, because they were both mobile enough around stoppages, it left the opposition not knowing which ruck would contest and which ruck would rove, I never understood why we didn't implement it more. There are some old clips floating around of Kreuzer and Hampson roving to each other for goals. The 3rd man up stifled the tactic for a while, and now having to nominate reduces some of the impact, but it still works if you have the right options available.

Most of the time, we only had one of them available for extended periods of time.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #94
Fans will never agree, but for me it's hard evidence that the 24x7 unspectacular and unfashionable stuff that the likes of Cottrell, Owies, Fogarty, Hewett, Kennedy and Cunningham bring is far more valuable than the flash in the pan highlights some others offer.

Fans tend to remember the highlights, the stuff that stands out, without even noticing the grunt work that made it happen.

Not an either/or thing, Spotted One. Successful teams have role players, elite talent and even 'flashy' types. Mix and balance. We love 'em all. And they're all as important as each other.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #95
Most of the time, we only had one of them available for extended periods of time.
True, my point was more about having the mobile ruck type available in F50, the tactic would not work with a Pitto type in F50 because he's just not agile enough to impact the footy away from his immediate zone.

For me the domain of the mobile rucks is attack, and the home of the monolith ruck is defence, very few rucks can do both well, currently Gawn is perhaps an exception.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #96
Sam Walsh
IN

Lachie Fogarty (Suspension)
OUT

Praise the lord!

Reply #97

The positioning around that stoppage was interesting with De Koning standing goal side rather than in a defensive position.  I'd love to know whether that was part of a plan to convince Jackson to go for an attacking hitout.

The players often talk about rehearsing scenarios - was that one they'd planned?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #98
For me the domain of the mobile rucks is attack, and the home of the monolith ruck is defence, very few rucks can do both well, currently Gawn is perhaps an exception.
We saw last night why Gawn is an exception, it was basically Brisbane defeated Gawn.

The positioning around that stoppage was interesting with De Koning standing goal side rather than in a defensive position.  I'd love to know whether that was part of a plan to convince Jackson to go for an attacking hitout.

The players often talk about rehearsing scenarios - was that one they'd planned?
Bit hard to tell, we saw early the stuff Jackson was doing and that was rehearsed because he went at it from the 1st, but as the game evolved TDK started to switch things up, probably good coaching by SpecialK perhaps.

The training will be in the techniques, not what to do where and when, the where and when call is more dynamic as it depends on the on-ball crew as a whole. A kid like TDK has already practised the techniques, he just needs reminders of the options he can call on, later they'll become second nature.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #99
T
100%, they have done a truckload in this area of the game (ie scenario practice). You can tell by the way we play. Its one thing to have a never say die attitude, but to pull wins like that off you need to know what youre doing and be well drilled at it. They do and they are.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time