Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 16: Pre Game Jitters: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 18429 times) previous topic - next topic

Rd 16: Pre Game Jitters: Carlton vs Melbourne

Sunday July 9th at 1520.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Rd 16: Pre Game Jitters: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #1
Nobody seems to have worried about this game yet.
[1] Melbourne have injuries and they cannot cover them as well as some others do. They will be missing players they think of as being critical. To me, Viney is their biggest 'out'.
[2] We have played quite well against higher ranked teams of late.
[3] Alex Silvagni is a chance to be available. Not a certainty, but a chance. Lamb and Curnow may be back, if they have recovered from what Richmond dealt them. Boekhorst responded to being dropped the way we would like all of our dropped players to respond, with leather poisoning. Smedts likewise stood up. Palmer, like Kerridge, has probably done enough to get a recall, but do we go with another experienced player or a kid? SPS is also returning, hopefully with the hunger to get the ball again.
[4] Caleb Marchbank and Lachie Plowman both have some injury concerns. Neither are definitely out as yet. Both are hoping to be fit enough to play.
[5] Who, if anyone, do we drop? Silvagni's recent form has not been so good, but he is young and talented. Fisher didn't set the world on fire on Saturday, with 9 or 10 possessions. Cuningham likewise, although he was involved in a couple of very important pieces of play. Gussy Sheahan started like a house on fire (except that he couldn't hit a barn), but dropped out of the game (he defended well enough, but he had only 3 or 4 possessions after quarter time).
I wouldn't be dropping White. He did very well.
Sumner might put on good pressure, but he can't seem to get more than 10 possessions in a game. We cannot afford the luxury of guys like that.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
I think they will pick the team for a win as opposed to giving experience. We need a win to appease the masses. :)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #3
I'd swap Sumner for Lamb and White for Byrne, we have to keep playing Fisher, Cunningham and Silvagni.
I would have said Petrevski-Seton for Kerridge or Graham but they both went OK, particularly Kerridge, so dropping them would be a tough call.
That said if Ed Curnow is available someone has to miss out.
We really should win this, Jones, Viney, Watts, Hogan and a few others missing  makes our lack of experience less of a factor and our midfield is in good form.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #4
A little bird told me we might see Dylan Buckley in this week.

We might have a few we are looking at not coming up, and it's time to see if there any more Liam Jones stories in our list.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #5
I'm coming down for this game, and looking forward to it.
Here's hoping it's a cracker of a game and we walk away with the 4 points !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #6
A little bird told me we might see Dylan Buckley in this week.

We might have a few we are looking at not coming up, and it's time to see if there any more Liam Jones stories in our list.

Buckley could only replace Sumner and it would be tough on Lamb if he did.
I'd like to see him get another crack before the end of the season, he's got something to offer.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #7
We need to give DB another run/chance before final decisions are made IMO. He has looked good in flashes over the journey and if he could just show some consistency he would be worth hanging on to.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #8
Buckley could only replace Sumner and it would be tough on Lamb if he did.
I'd like to see him get another crack before the end of the season, he's got something to offer.

Id give Lamb a good month to recover properly before he needs to play for his future.  It would be a bit rough for him to have to play for his AFL future when he is recovering from a rather serious head knock that saw him unable to walk down the stairs less than a fortnight ago.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #9
I reckon Armfield has been stiff not to get a gig.

You know what he offers us. 100% effort and pace.
He was elevated to a leader this season and we don't play him.

I reckon he'd offer more than Sumner/Lamb/Buckley/Palmer/Smedts/Boekhorst but he's wasting away in the 2's.

Reply #10
I reckon Armfield has been stiff not to get a gig.

You know what he offers us. 100% effort and pace.
He was elevated to a leader this season and we don't play him.

I reckon he'd offer more than Sumner/Lamb/Buckley/Palmer/Smedts/Boekhorst but he's wasting away in the 2's.

Hasnt touched the footy in the NB's....done and dusted as a player, might get the farewell game...

Reply #11
I reckon we are Monty's this week, the Bugg been squashed ;) ;)

Reply #12
Hasnt touched the footy in the NB's....done and dusted as a player, might get the farewell game...

must be hard for him to rev up in the 2s....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #13
must be hard for him to rev up in the 2s....

Fair point...some players dont bother getting up for 2's footy and maybe if he was in the seniors he might go harder and better.
I like Denis but he hasnt justified a recall based on form...Dylan Buckley is probably next in the que and with his career on the line he probably deserves a couple of games to
show what he has got...

Reply #14
Fair point...some players dont bother getting up for 2's footy and maybe if he was in the seniors he might go harder and better.
I like Denis but he hasnt justified a recall based on form...Dylan Buckley is probably next in the que and with his career on the line he probably deserves a couple of games to
show what he has got...

oh sure, it should be (largely) merit based, maybe a send off game?
Finals, then 4 in a row!