Skip to main content
Topic: 2019 AFL Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond at the MCG: Post Game Passion (Read 24356 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2019 AFL Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond at the MCG: Post Game Passion

Reply #150
Probably repeating a lot of what has been said earlier (which I haven't read all of) but yes, disappointing to fight back and then fall away again but plenty of good signs .....they were the best side last year right up until their loss in the prelim. final and you add in Lynch...we finished dead last with two wins. Patches of the game showed that at our best we can be very competitive. But again, how many times do poor skills absolutely crucify us?

Positives: Walsh, Fisher, Newman, Setterfield. McGovern started poorly but worked his way into the game. McKay a bit the same. And Cripps is a colossus for us and 2, if not 3, Brownlow votes for mine last night. Phillips is very competitive in the ruck but was killed around the ground by Nankervis and that's where we miss Kreuzer.

Negatives: Charlie had an absolute shocker...fumbled, looked slow and lost count of how many marks he dropped. Garlett...why are we trying to convert him to a defender? He doesn't have any defensive aspects to his game at all. Saw him do it countless times in the JLT and again last night where he goes up into a pack for a mark or spoil and ball spills over the back to his direct opponent. Fasolo was poor but it was worth the punt IMO....he'll only get better.

The Mckay shot in the 3rd where he hit the post when we were within about 15 points was crucial. It would've given us more momentum and maybe we might've cashed in more on the absence of Rance.

Reply #151
Nick Reiwoldt is calling Jones' bump on his cousin a weak act lol.

No, fairs fair...Nick would undoubtedly be an expert on weak acts...having played with Steven Baker most of his career.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #152
When Richmond got the ball from defensive scrimmage they suddenly ran forward at speed, spread, creating options allowing them so much space in their f50. We simply have no idea in the same situation, move it slow, go down the line then are forced to bomb it into the f50. In the 4th year why can't we do that. We're not lacking decent players now.

Good call Jim, Tigers work harder than most at the spread and create a lot of easy over the back goals by running and spreading so quick...it has to be part of their game plan how they set up because they move the ball so quickly and they get a lot of cheap goals this way...
We go sideways too much and just look at the next kick/pass rather than two kicks ahead...you also see us with two players contesting the same ball or tackling the same player unlike the Tigers who laways seem to have loose players around the contest and ahead of the ball...

We have the talent now as you suggest we just cant seem to get enough players with smarts to read the play and help their mate out by providing options, its just haphazard and hope to get lucky..

Reply #153
Watch the 3rd qtr again. McGovern is going to be a real assets. Hands are outstanding whether in the air or that wonderful half-volley pick up.  Set us up a few times. Means if Charlie keeps struggling forward we can chuck him in the midfield and still be covered for talks forward. Nothing like a free run in the midfield to get form back.

Reply #154
Agree laj...he worked his way into the game nicely and looked a lot cleaner with the ball than most.

Reply #155
Re-watching the reply,  so many bitchmond players attack the player before the marking contest that it has to be a deliberate tactic.   No wonder there are so many knees done landing awkwardly, becase the impact is out if sync with the ball arriving in the "drop zone".  When are the maggots going to wise up to this crap?  What happened to "interference in the marking contest"?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #156
Did Nick has his todger out when he made that statement?
Saint Nick will tell you he never had his wang out and believe his own BS. One of the more irrelevant commentators IMO.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #157
He was hilarious the other week when he said there is a massive drug problem with today's footballers but there was no problem when he played which was 18 months prior.
You talking Jack or Nick MBB? Reference to sook since BJ retired was aimed at Jack I think.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #158
You talking Jack or Nick MBB? Reference to sook since BJ retired was aimed at Jack I think.

Nick sorry.

Yeah Jack looked pissed after the match yesterday because he got towels up. Didnt care about the Win.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #159
Nick sorry.

Yeah Jack looked pissed after the match yesterday because he got towels up. Didnt care about the Win.
Jones took him to the cleaners thats for sure. Weiters also had the better of the GC Millionaire also IMO.
As for Charlie, I would have given him in run the ruck to try and get into the game. Probably a stupid idea but the way he is playing at the moment, I surely couldnt hurt.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #160
Jones took him to the cleaners thats for sure. Weiters also had the better of the GC Millionaire also IMO.
As for Charlie, I would have given him in run the ruck to try and get into the game. Probably a stupid idea but the way he is playing at the moment, I surely couldnt hurt.

I don't think it's a dumb idea at all. Ruck, on-ball, backline... anything, just get the kid into the game.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #161
I wonder if something is up in the Curnow family. Ed and Charlie were well down by their own lofty standards, I wonder if something is up. I hope not obviously but something isnt right.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #162

Agree on Jones but Lynch did his job IMO and it wasnt all about kicking goals, Weitering played ok but the presence of Lynch made it harder for us and three goals wasnt a bad return
for a bloke who hasnt played footy for a long time. Tigers didnt have Caddy and I thought Lynch did enough to offset that....

Reply #163
 I thought Weeters showed smarts and poise in heavy traffic last night.   One day we will be able to play him in his preferred position and we might see how good he can be. Gorilla-minding fullback isn't his go.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #164
I don't think it's a dumb idea at all. Ruck, on-ball, backline... anything, just get the kid into the game
On the ball absolutely, but in the ruck, without the experience of playing in that position, could prove disastrous. I'm thinking injury wise. He couldn't play in the backline right now. Confidence is down and if someone gets hold of him could make it worse.