Skip to main content
Topic: Is verbal abuse sport? (Read 2766 times) previous topic - next topic

Is verbal abuse sport?

I'm not a huge fan of tennis, I appreciate the athletic nature of long matches. I'm not sure why as an individual sport it pays or attracts so much big money given on a global basis it's pretty much elitist, a bit like golf!

I had to turn on today to watch what radio was describing as a stirring comeback by Williams versus Wang, it was described as an epic match!

However, for the short time I watched, all I saw was 15 minutes of screaming and verbal abuse blatantly emitted in the direction of at and intended to intimidate an opponent! Supreme a strength and athleticism without a shred of good citizenship or healthy sportsperson like behavior. Just a screaming ball of abuse and derogation from a self-entitled lunatic, praised by the commentary!

I mean, screaming in someone's direction until they are distracted isn't being the best tennis player, it's just being the best bully or the loudest mouth!

I'm over it, I'll hope and barrack for Barty to endure, but I won't turn that tournament back on no matter who is playing.
The Force Awakens!

Re: Is verbal abuse sport?

Reply #1
I'm not a huge fan of tennis, I appreciate the athletic nature of long matches. I'm not sure why as an individual sport it pays or attracts so much big money given on a global basis it's pretty much elitist, a bit like golf!

I had to turn on today to watch what radio was describing as a stirring comeback by Williams versus Wang, it was described as an epic match!

However, for the short time I watched, all I saw was 15 minutes of screaming and verbal abuse blatantly emitted in the direction of at and intended to intimidate an opponent! Supreme a strength and athleticism without a shred of good citizenship or healthy sportsperson like behavior. Just a screaming ball of abuse and derogation from a self-entitled lunatic, praised by the commentary!

I mean, screaming in someone's direction until they are distracted isn't being the best tennis player, it's just being the best bully or the loudest mouth!

I'm over it, I'll hope and barrack for Barty to endure, but I won't turn that tournament back on no matter who is playing.

I gave up watching tennis many years ago for pretty much the reasons you mention. Once it became a sport for spoiled brats that was it for me. Also it was not a sport that was played in the social circles I grew up in (!!!) so I never developed any affiliation to it or ever played it.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #2
I can concur. Tennis just isn't what it was. It started back with John McEnroe and has only got worse.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
Williams is a first class so and so.  But I hate tennis anyway.  Meaningless.

Reply #4
I can concur. Tennis just isn't what it was. It started back with John McEnroe and has only got worse.
Reckon you'll find Jimmy Connors and Ille 'Nasty' Nastase kicked things off and Brat took it down to the level we see now. Still, the Millman-Federer match just finished shows it's not all twats. Just seems there are too many of them.

Reply #5
Ditto. Can't stand tennis. Too much screaming, too many tantrums, too much sooking, too many prima donnas. Though I will be barracking for Ash B.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #6
Va fancula, the cry of the frustrated tennis player!

I realise shouting that out when you are being broadcast is not appropriate, but can you blame them?

Wtf., is happening with the world, when tennis player is rolled off the court in a wheelchair, in a fecking wheelchair, a fecking wheelchair, only to miraculously return to win a marathon match?

Wtf., next thing you know soccer players will be rolling around on the ground in mortal peril only to return some minutes later to strike the winning goal!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
I view the screaming and double handed backhands as cheating so it's pretty hard for me to watch any game. Wasn't done back in the day when the champions played. The fact that Rodger doesn't do either just elevates him even further as a dead-set champ in my eyes.  Barty doesn't do either.

Reply #8
Double handed back hands are okay in my book.  Its like saying that you can only play one footed and not cultivating your other side.

Actually that will be the next tennis champion.  Someone who is equally adept at hitting off either side like they have no backhand.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #9
Ditto. Can't stand tennis. Too much screaming, too many tantrums, too much sooking, too many prima donnas. Though I will be barracking for Ash B.
And players and officialdom can end the screaming and grunting in a heartbeat if they wanted to. If a player complains to the ump the noise (screaming and grunting) is distracting him/her, the ump MUST to the other player to stop it.
Players dont complain so it continues much to the annoyance of the fans and tv viewers. I often mute games and they are just terrible from that point of view.
As for refs and umps? They pick and choose. Just imagine if it was Nick Kyrgios that hit the ball into the line umps throat, he would have been suspended for a year. Instead that peasant Djokovic gets away with it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time