Skip to main content
Topic: If Not BB, Who? (Read 60818 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: If Not BB, Who?

Reply #330
Yet now make us look like amateurs

We can go on like this all day.

Simple answer is, BB has done nothing at all to show he can coach.
Some like him because he is a teacher and has a softer side than most coaches.

I don't believe that will cut it, he needs a lot of ability and he isn't showing any of it.

Coaches need to be tough and ruthless, not in a cruel way, but non negotiable s on the basics cannot be brushed over.
We saw on Sunday that Bolton does not have that stuff sorted after 3 years.

And yet, the media was glowing in its praise of Bolton in 2016.

If you watch the pressers and other media pieces, Fagan looks softer than Bolton to me.

Reply #331
A few on here have touted the lack of a Hodge type, ACoS provided glimpses of what that sort of aggression can bring to he team, it's not about who is leader or role model but an attitude.

To many it's obvious what we lack, yet we seem disinterested in that type of player.

No doubt such a player would be a valuable addition, but because we're lacking in this department we should sack Bolton ?

Reply #332
No doubt such a player would be a valuable addition, but because we're lacking in this department we should sack Bolton ?

No not at all, but I think it's clearly a reason for the lack of success in close games.

It's like we try to win the war without advancing, we've no offensive troups! Which is fine, starve them out or bore them to death, but we should be happy with ugly wins and ignore the critics! We can't have it both ways!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #333

When you've won 3 out of 36 4th year into a rebuild, yes, I probably would as would every other club. Keeping going with the same thing likely gives you the same results. Let's face it, those results are nothing short of diabolical. The very reason we swapped our first picks with Adelaide is they thought there'd be significant improvement up the ladder, which is what they said. There is none.

Reply #334
When you've won 3 out of 36 4th year into a rebuild, yes, I probably would as would every other club. Keeping going with the same thing likely gives you the same results. Let's face it, those results are nothing short of diabolical. The very reason we swapped our first picks with Adelaide is they thought there'd be significant improvement up the ladder, which is what they said. There is none.

No coach could have done much better when you are turning over 1/3 of the list and bringing in kids for 3 seasons straight.

Reply #335
No coach could have done much better when you are turning over 1/3 of the list and bringing in kids for 3 seasons straight.

People don't care about that certain fact, they just want wins.

My worry is the white-ants, this is the opportunistic moment for them to enter the structure and take over all that has been built! I hope the head of the household is being very vigilant! If I were LoGuidice, I'd use that frame of reference to publicly stigmatise anyone who undermines BB by suggesting he is replaced or suggesting a replacement. You can bet there are elements in the AFL media trying to stir the pot publicly and behind the scenes as we type!

The timing is almost perfect for a show some loyalty from those who must be obeyed! You know what Brittain said and what we didn't do, "Stick Fat!" The off-field equivalent of a Hodge on-field!

We've been paying for that historical lack of character for almost two decades! It's clearly been as big of a deficiency as anything that happens on match day!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #336
I think that Liddle’s comments provide the best summary.  He basically said that blaming Bolton was wrong as the situation the club is in is the responsibility of everyone involved. 

If Bolton was to be sacked (and I doubt that will happen unless we don’t climb the ladder in 2020), the players, the board, administration, assistant coaches, list managers, fitness staff and the bootstudder must be sacked too.

Ok, great post right there

Reply #337
People don't care about that certain fact, they just want wins.

What fact?

Paul's "opinion" that no other coach could have done better?

I know we like to stretch the truth a bit here, but FACT?

Reply #338

Absolute crap. That's just an excuse to reinforce your argument. Our side has always been better than that. Even if a side is really bad they do better than 3 from 36.

All sides that rebuild have big list changes. Sides like Richmond under Hardwick, Melbourne under Roos/Goodwin, were finals or close to it after 4 years. Dogs under McCartney, no good, under Beverige, premiers. A good coach gets the most out of their players. people said the same thing when Pagan coached us then within 2 years they played finals. Port played finals the year after they were hopeless under Primus. Swans were so bad they lost 22 games straight in the early 90s. Come Barassi, they went close to finals within two years then under Eade Grand Finalists the next year. So don't give me the crap that that no one would've done any better. Good coaches do make improvements out of any player. Same in any sport, which I can testify to first hand. No decent coach goes 3 from 36.

Reply #339
Absolute crap. That's just an excuse to reinforce your argument. Our side has always been better than that. Even if a side is really bad they do better than 3 from 36.

All sides that rebuild have big list changes. Sides like Richmond under Hardwick, Melbourne under Roos/Goodwin, were finals or close to it after 4 years. Dogs under McCartney, no good, under Beverige, premiers. A good coach gets the most out of their players. people said the same thing when Pagan coached us then within 2 years they played finals. Port played finals the year after they were hopeless under Primus. Swans were so bad they lost 22 games straight in the early 90s. Come Barassi, they went close to finals within two years then under Eade Grand Finalists the next year. So don't give me the crap that that no one would've done any better. Good coaches do make improvements out of any player. Same in any sport, which I can testify to first hand. No decent coach goes 3 from 36.

None of them, that is none of them, did that by turning over 30% of their senior list each pre-season, that's the ignored fact!

There is zero historical predicents for what we have done, we cannot even use newbies like GWS or GC as an example because they had advantages in academies and lots of AFL help we didn't get!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #340
The strategy that was put in place with Bolton, SOS et al was for long term success. This was made very clear at the beginning. What was hidden from view (for obvious reasons) was that by extension, this meant short term pain. The strategy may succeed brilliantly, or it may be an epic fail. We simply don't know. We need to see it through. Stage 1, which is the 3 year rebuild, is now done. Stage 2 has to be allowed to play out first.

Reply #341
None of them, that is none of them, did that by turning over 30% of their senior list each pre-season, that's the ignored fact!

There is zero historical predicents for what we have done, we cannot even use newbies like GWS or GC as an example because they had advantages in academies and lots of AFL help we didn't get!

Correct, we only have four number 1 picks, plus a pick 2, 2 x pick 3 and a pick 5, 2 x pick 10's and a pick 12.
Plus a guy called Cripps.

Reply #342
The strategy that was put in place with Bolton, SOS et al was for long term success. This was made very clear at the beginning. What was hidden from view (for obvious reasons) was that by extension, this meant short term pain. The strategy may succeed brilliantly, or it may be an epic fail. We simply don't know. We need to see it through. Stage 1, which is the 3 year rebuild, is now done. Stage 2 has to be allowed to play out first.
Agreed.

We can post our various beliefs or doubts, but they do not make a good argument for changing direction! ;)

Correct, we only have four number 1 picks, plus a pick 2, 2 x pick 3 and a pick 5, 2 x pick 10's and a pick 12.
Plus a guy called Cripps.
So you think our young top end talent is the problem?

Those other teams Laj refers to as precedents, all retained their core group of very senior and very experienced players, we have kept three or four! GWS actively recruits similar players because they knew they needed them in the mix to accelerate the progress of others, only recently have we been able to trade in McGovern and he's really not that experienced either yet he seems so on our list! Further to do that we had to let an experienced A-Grade AFL player go!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #343

No Jim. It's not crap. Hardwick wasn't sacked, and neither was Buckely, even though many lunk heads thought they should be.

Reply #344
Agreed.

We can post our various beliefs or doubts, but they do not make a good argument for changing direction! ;)

So you think our young top end talent is the problem?

No, I think we have had plenty of draft picks.
We have not developed them well because they play a confused game plan.

There is one person responsible, and he should be held accountable.

If we wait another two years we will waste a whole generation of players and Cripps, Weitering and Walsh will move on looking for a decent coach at a decent club