Skip to main content
Topic: If Not BB, Who? (Read 62232 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: If Not BB, Who?

Reply #150
Jones -> Wright
Weitering -> Burgess
Marchbank -> Sexton

Should have them covered. Should.

Fair enough...I'd have Newman as my backup for Marchbank on Sexton.....the latter is very elusive and maybe a bit slippery in that 25 degree heat.
Another player I would tag is Fiorini, a very underated leftie but a real cog in their midfield and uses the ball as well as anyone in the comp.....maybe use Fisher on him.

Reply #151
No. Good on him for trying to beat his man fair and square, rather than resorting to short cuts. I see him as a poor man's Southby, and that's a very good thing IMO. And I hope his good start to the season continues for the rest of his career. The sort of player you really root for and really wish for a fairytale career, because we all like to see nice guys win.

Having said that, he does drive me crazy at times.

And obviously being of a similar vintage I can recall the great GS, very, very well. He and Dench pioneered the attacking/running full back. Beautiful foot skills and sublime judgement but LJ is very, very different. Agility and speed that GS could've only dreamt of.

With GS you knew what you were getting, week in, week out. Capt Dependable personified. LJ is certainly unpredictable, but gets to contests that others only dream of being able to get to. Superior second, third efforts. I'm a fan of LJ, for his ability, attitude and for the romance of the story of his 'rescued career' since moving to defence. I bet he just keeps improving.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #152
We're just drifting off topic a bit here....a lot actually

Seems we've run out of BB replacements after a few suggestions which is why he's probably safe, at least until the end of the year.

If folk could bring discussion back to the thread title ….and maybe repost their matchups and player comments in the pre game thread or last weeks post game (both apply)... it will save us some cleaning up time.

Reply #153
Think Plowman will get first crack on Sexton, they want Marchbank and Newman rebounding more tha lock down defending

Maybe...Sexton isnt a big possie winner, more the sneaky, cunning type who gets on the end of play....been a real average player IMO till last season where he
kicked around 30 goals. I dont think he will be a big problem unless we are guarding grass again rather than players......

er sorry for being off topic....

Replacement for Bolton......Brett Ratten......

Reply #154
And obviously being of a similar vintage I can recall the great GS, very, very well. He and Dench pioneered the attacking/running full back. Beautiful foot skills and sublime judgement but LJ is very, very different. Agility and speed that GS could've only dreamt of.

With GS you knew what you were getting, week in, week out. Capt Dependable personified. LJ is certainly unpredictable, but gets to contests that others only dream of being able to get to. Superior second, third efforts. I'm a fan of LJ, for his ability, attitude and for the romance of the story of his 'rescued career' since moving to defence. I bet he just keeps improving.

Sorry, perhaps I was too brief in my other post. My comparison was more about them being scrupulously fair, honourable defenders. Unfortunately I've only seen Southby on Youtube and old TV footage, which I don't think really captures all that he was capable of. I envy you - I would love to have seen all those CFC greats from the 70's, live and in their prime, playing in terrific, successful teams. I'm sure you treasure those memories.

Reply #155

Sorry, perhaps I was too brief in my other post. My comparison was more about them being scrupulously fair, honourable defenders. Unfortunately I've only seen Southby on Youtube and old TV footage, which I don't think really captures all that he was capable of. I envy you - I would love to have seen all those CFC greats from the 70's, live and in their prime, playing in terrific, successful teams. I'm sure you treasure those memories.

Sorry PP, wrong assumption on my part. GS was something to see, and, as you mention, scrupulously fair... like Liam.

Believe me, often it's those memories that keep me going (my interest in footy). Ah, watching Ragsy Goold sweep across half back, Swan McKay dominate the contested marking duels, Jezz, Wallsy, but my fave of that era was (yes, I know I've posted it before) Brent Crosswell... sublime skills and plenty of attitude/mongrel. My avatar will tell you who my faves were from our next successful era. Mm, wondering off topic... sorry about that. But if we're going to mention sublime talents, Peter Motley was another instant fave when he arrived...

Um, just to stay on topic, Brad Scott might be a name to consider re a potential future coach. I know he polarises people but he does have the ability to get the best out of what he has. That'll heat up the topic again!!! Okay, go your hardest!!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #156
We're just drifting off topic a bit here....a lot actually

Seems we've run out of BB replacements after a few suggestions which is why he's probably safe, at least until the end of the year.

If folk could bring discussion back to the thread title ….and maybe repost their matchups and player comments in the pre game thread or last weeks post game (both apply)... it will save us some cleaning up time.

Teague would be a terrific caretaker.

Reply #157
Brad Scott....?  Captain Baggers,  you've neglected your medication again.

God dam Vulcan's.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #158
The club has bet the farm on this rebuild, and I believe it is one of those "failure is not an option" scenarios. We have, IMO, backed ourselves into a corner, so in a very real sense, we have to make it work. If we finish bottom 4, as seems likely, and then we sack Bolton, what person in their right mind will want to come and coach us ? Only insiders like Teague or Barker will want the job. We have to see it through IMO.

Even as things stand now, I can't see either of the Scott twins having any interest and Ratten certainly won't come back. Lyon keeps getting mentioned, because of connection to SOS, but it's a long bow to draw IMO.

Reply #159
The club has bet the farm on this rebuild, and I believe it is one of those "failure is not an option" scenarios. We have, IMO, backed ourselves into a corner, so in a very real sense, we have to make it work. If we finish bottom 4, as seems likely, and then we sack Bolton, what person in their right mind will want to come and coach us ? Only insiders like Teague or Barker will want the job. We have to see it through IMO.

Even as things stand now, I can't see either of the Scott twins having any interest and Ratten certainly won't come back. Lyon keeps getting mentioned, because of connection to SOS, but it's a long bow to draw IMO.
Pauly make no mistake, candidates would queue up just as they did after MM's ugly departure. Having said that, I agree with you in that they will see it through.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #160

In some respects it's not the club that's bet the farm on the rebuild  but certain individuals within the club.
Some of those have already departed.
A new power group could easily distance themselves from that strategy.

Bolton is pretty well safe for the rest of this year.
But if things don't improve the pressure will only increase.

What would we do if it was a 'no signs of improvement' situation at the end of this year.
If replacing him is a bad option...surely sticking with him and the angst and damage in terms of division would be an equally poor option.
Hopefully the move upwards begins soon but...
At some stage the bullet would have to be bit.

As Paul suggests though  "Who would want the poison chalice?"
The likely scenario in that situation is that Bolton would not be the only casualty....rather a board challenge and a clean sweep of many positions would occur.
That challenge would bring with it a "new" probably "high profile" coach.

Reply #161
Pauly make no mistake, candidates would queue up just as they did after MM's ugly departure. Having said that, I agree with you in that they will see it through.

IMO, if we sack Bolton this season, we will look like a joke and a rabble. If I was a coaching candidate, I would avoid us like the plague. I'd be wanting to land a job at places like Geelong or the Pies, who do proper reviews, make sensible plans and stick to those plans, not just take the easy option and sack the coach when the going gets tough. 

Reply #162
In some respects it's not the club that's bet the farm on the rebuild  but certain individuals within the club.
Some of those have already departed.
A new power group could easily distance themselves from that strategy.

Bolton is pretty well safe for the rest of this year.
But if things don't improve the pressure will only increase.

What would we do if it was a 'no signs of improvement' situation at the end of this year.
If replacing him is a bad option...surely sticking with him and the angst and damage in terms of division would be an equally poor option.
Hopefully the move upwards begins soon but...
At some stage the bullet would have to be bit.

As Paul suggests though  "Who would want the poison chalice?"
The likely scenario in that situation is that Bolton would not be the only casualty....rather a board challenge and a clean sweep of many positions would occur.
That challenge would bring with it a "new" probably "high profile" coach.

Bomber Thompson at Geelong, and Buckley at the Pies have already been mentioned, so no need to do it again. The end of the 2020 season is when any real discussions about Bolton should occur. Anything before that is too early IMO.

Reply #163
Bomber Thompson at Geelong, and Buckley at the Pies have already been mentioned, so no need to do it again. The end of the 2020 season is when any real discussions about Bolton should occur. Anything before that is too early IMO.

I don't think we control the time frame.
That's a bit above our pay grade.
Results will largely decide when and if the axe falls....and change becomes easier to sell with each loss.
On the other hand a few wins have an amazingly stabilizing effect.

Reply #164

I very much doubt Bomber will be available....
Finals, then 4 in a row!