Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 12: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 12847 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 12: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #150

As bad as it gets......short memories by way too many on here.
Yes, the reactions are over the top bizarre at the moment.

I understand the frustrations, but I can't see any logic in the suggested remedy as it's coming across as a burn the house down approach!

Too many seem to be revelling in the Flubbo and Jab Snr smugness, it makes me very uncomfortable as a Carlton fan that many of my compatriots might be so fickle and fans and so susceptible to external suggestions.

Oddly, when we are on I think we are now far far better to watch than we have been for many years. The 4-Qtr problem remains, but get the balance right and we'll win the close ones, and be 8 from 4 instead of 4 from 8.

For several years we couldn't score, we blamed the players, we blamed the coach. The players are still there and can now score, regardless of the kicking accuracy we generate shots that we couldn't previous and the players are fundamentally the same crew.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #151
Yes, the reactions are over the top bizarre at the moment.

I understand the frustrations, but I can't see any logic in the suggested remedy as it's coming across as a burn the house down approach!

Too many seem to be revelling in the Flubbo and Jab Snr smugness, it makes me very uncomfortable as a Carlton fan that many of my compatriots might be so fickle and fans and so susceptible to external suggestions.

Oddly, when we are on I think we are now far far better to watch than we have been for many years. The 4-Qtr problem remains, but get the balance right and we'll win the close ones, and be 8 from 4 instead of 4 from 8.

For several years we couldn't score, we blamed the players, we blamed the coach. The players are still there and can now score, regardless of the kicking accuracy we generate shots that we couldn't previous and the players are fundamentally the same crew.

Agree.

People are being so black and white they should go follow the pies.

People are basically complaining that we are not finals bound
People fail to realise that while that is true, we are no longer on the bottom of the ladder.

Improvement has been obvious. Yes, its slower than we all want, but the 'logic' of nuking the place to start again hasn't worked the last 6 times, but its SURE to work this time....its laughable.
If for no other reason than to try something different for the first time in 20 years, lets stick with the coach and give him what he needs....players, assistants....whatever.

Reply #152
The playing value of Eddie Betts has been questioned a bit especially earlier in the season.
He's playing some pretty good football at the moment.
He is one whose value is good, and place in the side is more than merited.

But I've also noticed that at breaks in play (after goals etc) he's very animated with the other players, talking, explaining, instructing...whatever it is, it's like having an assistant coach on the field.

We were behind the goals at the game yesterday and it was obvious how well Betts reads the game and how he directs those around him.

Reply #153
For all the issues we are close in every game near enough. Wouldn't actually take that much to change things on the scoreboard if we wanted to badly enough.

Reply #154
Maybe we've truly reached the proverbial line in the sand stage.... And it can only go two ways from here.   Maybe there will now  be the want and  impetus to get our sh1t (finally)  together.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #155
Bolton had the first 4 years of the reset. Teague has had years 5 and 6.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #156
Yep
I understand the disappointment in not meeting our own personal expectations.
There is a danger in acting too soon... but there also comes a point when you can leave things too long.
(How long is a piece of string? ::) )
Picking that point is really difficult...and whichever way you go you're going to cop criticism.

Reply #157
It might be a good idea to stay away from the football shows this week.
We'll be 'chum' in the water for the sharks.

Reply #158
Bolton had the first 4 years of the reset. Teague has had years 5 and 6.

Personally, sacking Bolton declared the reset a failure, and signalled a new 5 year count.  We probably went 2 years too early on Bolton, but it wasnt working. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #159
Here we go....

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/carlton-to-launch-external-review-of-football-department-20210607-p57yul.html?fbclid=IwAR3OPdbJRSjBJx_2-x6Gv8ioOLtTW20fDwua2ASLMlgDXLqqz2W-SUwNvhM

Yep...thats the we are done for 2021 call and lets order the timber for the gallows and find ourselves a scape goat.

Reply #160
delete

Reply #161
I've made it a separate thread...If Sam Maclure is correct (yet to be confirmed) it may generate a bit of discussion.

Reply #162
Yep...thats the we are done for 2021 call and lets order the timber for the gallows and find ourselves a scape goat.
I literally said only a few hours ago that this was my biggest fear.
We start jumping at shadows and change tact for the rest of the year signalling defeat.

We can still finish 9th without too much trouble, technically 8th or higher mathematically, so why are we doing this now?

Reply #163
Agree.

People are being so black and white they should go follow the pies.

People are basically complaining that we are not finals bound
People fail to realise that while that is true, we are no longer on the bottom of the ladder.

Improvement has been obvious. Yes, its slower than we all want, but the 'logic' of nuking the place to start again hasn't worked the last 6 times, but its SURE to work this time....its laughable.
If for no other reason than to try something different for the first time in 20 years, lets stick with the coach and give him what he needs....players, assistants....whatever.

Read post 148 by WASurfer and tell me where he is wrong.

Where you accuse people of seeing black and white I believe the bulk of what they are seeing is grey and an acceptance that our rebuild has been a failure.

You take comfort from the fact that we are not on the bottom of the ladder.  But where we are now and where we are heading is surely cold comfort for where we are in this rebuild.

You take comfort from the fact that under Teague our losses are not as bad as they used to be.  Big deal.  We are still losing.

With my view on our loss on Sunday you would no doubt place me with the black and white brigade.

I do not know the Eagles players well.  From the way they played it was not possible to single out their five newcomers.  They all played as a cohesive unit to a set plan and carried it out well enough to embarrass us.

Watching our response to them soon showed a side seemingly unwilling or unable to follow a game plan - if indeed we have one - and crushing the hopes of supporters.

Yes, after 6 six years it is reasonable to expect we should be knocking on the doors of the 8.  It is being done by sides who were below us while we are now bumbling along trying to work out what has gone wrong. 

Is it the coach and/or coaching staff?  Is it the Board?  Is it poor recruitment? Is it poor development of players? Etc, etc.

While all the questions are being asked with no easy answers, we will remain a shambles.

Reply #164

Read post 148 by WASurfer and tell me where he is wrong.

Where you accuse people of seeing black and white I believe the bulk of what they are seeing is grey and an acceptance that our rebuild has been a failure.

You take comfort from the fact that we are not on the bottom of the ladder.  But where we are now and where we are heading is surely cold comfort for where we are in this rebuild.

You take comfort from the fact that under Teague our losses are not as bad as they used to be.  Big deal.  We are still losing.

With my view on our loss on Sunday you would no doubt place me with the black and white brigade.

I do not know the Eagles players well.  From the way they played it was not possible to single out their five newcomers.  They all played as a cohesive unit to a set plan and carried it out well enough to embarrass us.

Watching our response to them soon showed a side seemingly unwilling or unable to follow a game plan - if indeed we have one - and crushing the hopes of supporters.

Yes, after 6 six years it is reasonable to expect we should be knocking on the doors of the 8.  It is being done by sides who were below us while we are now bumbling along trying to work out what has gone wrong. 

Is it the coach and/or coaching staff?  Is it the Board?  Is it poor recruitment? Is it poor development of players? Etc, etc.

While all the questions are being asked with no easy answers, we will remain a shambles.
I replied to his post directly after that. His very first sentence is over the top nonsense. I'm not bothering with the rest.

I have done countless analysis of our football club and where we are now vs where we were with a prediction of where we might get too. Read around.

Comparisons to Melbourne a few years ago.
Comparisons to Saints and Bombers earlier this year....and as recently as yesterday!
Read here for some recent comparisons....
https://www.carltonsc.com/index.php?topic=5377.0

I've said repeatedly the road to success is a rollercoaster with plenty of ups and downs. Don't think that every up means thats our new base and every down is our current level. We are not as bad as people say.

The reason i keep pointing out that we don't get flogged and that we are winning more than we used to is not because i am happy with where we are, its because we are better than where we were. Believe it or not, we continue to rise as a team.
Some people see it as simple wins and losses......but thats very naive. The link above shows why, specifically with Bombers.

I brought up % as a measure of success. People scoff at it, but thats because they don't actually take time to think about what that means.
Our % is currently 92.4%, that is unheard of for a team that is 4-8 for starters. But looking at our last 2 decades, our best football was played under Ratten and our first season under Malthouse where we made finals from 9th.
Excluding that 6 year period, our next best % (from the other 14 years) was last year where we ended up with 94.34% That is about the same as Rattens first year (2008) where we went 10-12 with 94.18%. No other years are above 90% There are 3 above 80%...one of which was Teagues first (half) season.

So what....
Our team is playing the best it has in the last 20 years (Ratten era aside) albeit without the wins coming through.
I would much prefer where we are now, than Pagans best year where we went 10-12 (2004) and had a % of just 81.66%.
That showed we were crap, but lucky.
Now we are better, but unlucky.
It is only a matter of times until it translates to wins.