Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2019 Rd 1: Carlton vs North Melbourne  (Read 5010 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2019 Rd 1: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #30
Thanks Kruddler.

I only caught the last ten minutes of the game so I won't be voting this week.

We actually weren't that bad in the bit I seen..and had quite a bit of time in our forward line....but it was all over by then.

Reply #31
I had my littles ones 3rd birthday party and didn't see a second. Had the result ruined for me by a friend who should know better. Today was superbowl day, and haven't got around to watching the game yet. I will....soon.

Reply #32
Good question.

I actually did the voting system last season and forgot about it until reading this post.

Will start it again...

Great!  Much appreciated  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #34
Such a disappointing game, but I'll be interested to see how other teams fare against North before determining how we actually performed. I always thought the AFL were far too generous in their recruiting allowances for the new teams. North in particular have cherry picked some very talented players, and they've had the benefit of seeing these women play for a couple of seasons first.

Our midfield is certainly still a weakness, and what disappoints me the most is that we got rid of Maddie Kerryk who got 16 disposals and 6 tackles for Geelong on Saturday...tell me we couldn't have used her in the middle on Sunday?? And even though it wasn't through choice, letting Kate Gillespie-Jones faff off to North Melbourne has already hurt us and we're one game in.  Worst part of it is that we're going to have to survive another recruiting raid this year, this time with two Melbourne metro teams, and even if we finish last, again we won't get the top draft pick. I don't see how we're going to be able to lure midfield talent in.

Reply #35
Such a disappointing game, but I'll be interested to see how other teams fare against North before determining how we actually performed. I always thought the AFL were far too generous in their recruiting allowances for the new teams. North in particular have cherry picked some very talented players, and they've had the benefit of seeing these women play for a couple of seasons first.

Our midfield is certainly still a weakness, and what disappoints me the most is that we got rid of Maddie Kerryk who got 16 disposals and 6 tackles for Geelong on Saturday...tell me we couldn't have used her in the middle on Sunday?? And even though it wasn't through choice, letting Kate Gillespie-Jones faff off to North Melbourne has already hurt us and we're one game in.  Worst part of it is that we're going to have to survive another recruiting raid this year, this time with two Melbourne metro teams, and even if we finish last, again we won't get the top draft pick. I don't see how we're going to be able to lure midfield talent in.

I think that one of the big problems at the moment in getting folks to engage with the Women's team is player movement.

Lists are very unsettled with players changing clubs.
The new teams just adds to that problem.
Until that settles down and there is stability in the lists it's hard to get the 'attachment' to the players that you get in the men's competition.
For the most part, with a few exceptions, we're engaged with the jumper but not individuals.

Reply #36
Just got through watching the game and i'm torn.

On one hand i think North got a few cheapies early which helped them gain, essentially, an unassailable lead. However, i think we were also pretty poor and they deserved that lead.

On the other hand, i think North have an all-star team. I reckon i knew just as many players for them, as i knew for us.
Some of their hand-picked stars was just ridiculous. Even there b-graders (ie KGJ) were ready-made footballers who performed.

One of our best was the youngest kid on our list...and if i'm honest, wasn't THAT impressive. Just goes to show how poorly the rest of the list played.

Loynes only knows one way, and that won't change.
Brazzale is always very solid, without being spectacular.
Hoskings are solid b-graders that are asked to do a-grade work.
Davey, Vescio and Harris are a-graders who are starved of opportunity due to the rest of the list not knowing how to kick a ball to advantage of a teammate.
Stevens i thought was one of our best, but was under immense pressure and turned it over far too much. She needs people presented better, and coming towards the football.
Prespakis was handy, and i know its just a 1st game, but the wraps on her are not justified at this early stage. Solid, but far from elite at this stage.

One thing i did like from the team was obviously a directive from the coaching staff.
Everytime one of our players was on the ground, at least one more came over to pick her up. Either offering a hand up, or simply pulling them up by their jumper. A good initiative that should bring the group together.

Reply #38
I'd love to but haven't watched it, I find the whole competition has become a shadow of what it could have been. AFLW is to AFL what the Myer windows are to Christmas, just a cheap exploitation of something that could mean so much more!
The Force Awakens!