Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2019 GF: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 7570 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2019 GF: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #30
They have a massive advantage being the only SA club, given the way the AFLW draft works. It will get worse next year as other teams get diluted further through expansion, but they will still be the only SA club so will get all the best young SA players

And they get the pick of the crop from the NT!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
End of the day, we must applaud the women's achievement and effort.

They rediscovered how to win (the men are yet to do that).

Not that it's a competition between the two!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #32
And they get the pick of the crop from the NT!

...and North get Tassie.

Which are the 2 strongest teams in the comp? (Besides potentially us).

Reply #33
From wooden spoon to grand finalists, bravo all concerned. 2020.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #34
Yes, a well done, but under the AFLW rules it'll be hard to keep most of that group together. There are already rumors of big names being approached to move.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
Not the only issue but so many of our victories in the run to the GF revolved around Al Downie's ruckwork and the clearances that followed.

She was well beaten against Nth Melb and again today and we were well beaten as well.

Reply #36
They have a massive advantage being the only SA club, given the way the AFLW draft works. It will get worse next year as other teams get diluted further through expansion, but they will still be the only SA club so will get all the best young SA players
Yes. Things are set up for a multi year Crow Dynasty. Thanks a lot, AFL. (Wish there was a sarcasm emoji!)
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #37
Yes, a well done, but under the AFLW rules it'll be hard to keep most of that group together. There are already rumors of big names being approached to move.
That does not surprise me. The new clubs can steal from us a lot more easily than they can steal from Adelaide.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #38
It was a great effort by the girls (and Harf) but Adelaide was far too good.  I reckon they are 12 months ahead of us in terms of fitness, strength and skills.

It was sad to see the two girls go down with ACLs.  I wonder if it will mean the end of Erin Phillips’ AFLW career.  Apparently she’s off to the USA to continue her basketball coaching career but that shouldn’t hinder her rehab if she has the desire to play again.

It was a good decision to play the game in Adelaide; great stadium and plenty of fanatical fans, including the significant number of Carlton fans who made the trip.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #39
Not the only issue but so many of our victories in the run to the GF revolved around Al Downie's ruckwork and the clearances that followed.

She was well beaten against Nth Melb and again today and we were well beaten as well.
A lot of our turn-around can be placed on Alison Downie's shoulders. She was good in the 1st season, but terrible last year. We so missed her influence and her smarts in 2018, Breann Moody did her best, but she is not a smart ruck yet. Downie really is.
I might have given Moody more time in the middle this time, as she jumps in hard and would not be as expected. But hindsight is ...

If Alison Downie can play like that again and Moody can develop, then our ruck options look good, even though Downie is well into her 30's.
The Adelaide ruck was a revelation this year and was a major reason in their victory. They have 3 good rucks on their list when some clubs don't have one. The luck of being South Australian.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #40
Moody improved as the season went on and produced some great cameo performances.  Her run from the wing to the 50 reminded me of Harry Madden’s momentous run  :)  Time will tell if she can can perform consistently.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #41
They'll be fine, a lot of our girls are elite sporting converts, while the Crows are bringing the best seasoned female football talent out of SA and NT competitions.

One thing that may be difficult for Carlton fans to accept in coming seasons will be the diminished influence of Vesio. Her star shone brightly at the start simply off the back of her superior strength, skills, agility and mobility. But with more girls getting semi-professional training and exposer Darcy's natural advantages will evaporate. Even the girls coming from other elite sports realise now they have to go to another level to meet the demands of playing AFL at a high level.

You can't just be big or strong, fast, agile, smart or brave to be a star in AFL, you have to have it all!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #42

I was very surprised to see so many people give Downie votes in the GF. I thought she tried well, but it was from the ruck that the crows won the game.

Downie has given us 1st service all year and helped Prespakis and co get us moving forward, but we couldn't get the same service in the granny and as a result, couldn't get our hands on the ball enough.

Downie will be top 5 in the B+F, but was far from top 5 in the GF IMO.

As for Moody, i hope it was a lack of pre-season that hurt her this year, because if it wasn't, i wouldn't even offer her a spot on the list! Can't kick, too slow and rubbish when the ball is on the deck. Traditionally, she's a dinosaur ruck.

Reply #43
I was very surprised to see so many people give Downie votes in the GF. I thought she tried well, but it was from the ruck that the crows won the game.

Downie has given us 1st service all year and helped Prespakis and co get us moving forward, but we couldn't get the same service in the granny and as a result, couldn't get our hands on the ball enough.

Downie will be top 5 in the B+F, but was far from top 5 in the GF IMO.

As for Moody, i hope it was a lack of pre-season that hurt her this year, because if it wasn't, i wouldn't even offer her a spot on the list! Can't kick, too slow and rubbish when the ball is on the deck. Traditionally, she's a dinosaur ruck.

I don't think Downie was beaten around the ground at all, if the only measure is the tap then perhaps but that is a very narrow focus, on 2nd efforts and around the ground she probably came out on top!

I suppose stating Downie was beaten is no different to claiming Phillips did well despite his direct opponents twice being rated by many as BoG. There is a bigger picture.

I think the better measure of a ruck is often what they do when they aren't winning the tap. It's also a good measure of the midfield, what they do when their ruck isn't dominant, I think it showed our midfield inexperience, and I'm not sure the clearances would have been much different even if we had a dominant ruck.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #44
I don't think Downie was beaten around the ground at all, if the only measure is the tap then perhaps but that is a very narrow focus, on 2nd efforts and around the ground she probably came out on top!

I suppose stating Downie was beaten is no different to claiming Phillips did well despite his direct opponents twice being rated by many as BoG. There is a bigger picture.

I think the better measure of a ruck is often what they do when they aren't winning the tap. It's also a good measure of the midfield, what they do when their ruck isn't dominant, I think it showed our midfield inexperience, and I'm not sure the clearances would have been much different even if we had a dominant ruck.

I'm not doubting her effort around the ground. I was more disappointed with her lack of resilliance in the ruck.

She's been big enough and strong enough to stand there and push and shove and win the ruck most weeks. This wasn't working. Did she try a different tactic? She was a basketballer, she can jump, maybe try that for a change. Just go the old big punch forward every now and then ala Clark Keating.

Around the ground is why i think Moody is a very poor 2nd option by comparison. Downie dominated her in that area.

The girl that Downie was up against was as green as they come. She only joined the team 2 weeks before the season....or was turned into a ruckman 2 weeks before (or both). Gotta be smarter than that.