Skip to main content
Topic: Bryce Gibbs 200 Games - Wayne Carey's Article (Read 3811 times) previous topic - next topic

Bryce Gibbs 200 Games - Wayne Carey's Article

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/carlton-ten-years-on-bryce-gibbs-is-gaining-momentum-20160623-gpq3g6.html

A pretty positive article on Gibba by Duck. Interesting comment by Bryce that until recently he was content with just being an AFL player. I've seen that written many times on here!

That's changed though, and he says he now wants to improve himself as much as he can. BB has created a great environment at CFC - a new dawn has well and truly broken.
Reality always wins in the end.

Re: Carey's Article on Bryce Gibbs

Reply #1
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/carlton-ten-years-on-bryce-gibbs-is-gaining-momentum-20160623-gpq3g6.html

A pretty positive article on Gibba by Duck. Interesting comment by Bryce that until recently he was content with just being an AFL player. I've seen that written many times on here!

That's changed though, and he says he now wants to improve himself as much as he can. BB has created a great environment at CFC - a new dawn has well and truly broken.

Yes, I read that too - so he really has been coasting all these years ;->

Reply #2
A slightly different slant on our website:

“For the first time in my career last year I struggled at times with the way the team was going, the way my personal performances were going and coping with longer-term injuries I hadn’t faced in almost ten years,” Gibbs said.

“These were new challenges I had to get my head around and there were days where I felt ‘I don’t know I could be bothered going in there today’, which I never thought I’d get to.

“It is here I give credit to Dean Laidley for not only helping to take my football to a new level, but for helping me with the mental side of my game as well, which was an area I hadn’t really tapped into enough.

“And if you look what we’re doing now in terms of mindset and mental preparation it’s such a part of the game.”

Though he’s first to admit that games 1-199 have gone in a blink, he also understands that much has changed both on and off the paddock in the nine years since his senior debut.

Through the course of 2016, Gibbs has been truly deserving of all the plaudits that have come his way. By his own admission he’s playing with an “urgency around the footy” – a capacity to attack the contest rather than float – and yet he still stops short of declaring himself to be the complete player.

“I’ve still got a few things to get right,” Gibbs insisted.

“Even in recent times I’ve been a bit disappointed with the way I’ve gone about it (and) I’m still not at the level I’m happy with.”

Let's hope he's happy with his performance in his 200th.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
Certainly also a reflection of some of the coaching staff we have had, and not being able to find the key as Dean Laidley has been credited with. And I am assuming the general culture with the new BB regime

Reply #4
The interview basically confirms what a few of us have accused Bryce of; that he hasn't been 100% committed and that he has only just realised that he needs to approach all aspects of preparation and playing with "urgency".  Hopefully his attitude is rewarded with at least a couple of season's of good form and results.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #5
We'll see what happens from here.

Reply #6
The interview basically confirms what a few of us have accused Bryce of; that he hasn't been 100% committed and that he has only just realised that he needs to approach all aspects of preparation and playing with "urgency".  Hopefully his attitude is rewarded with at least a couple of season's of good form and results.

Just shows you how bad things got over the last few seasons.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
Just shows you how bad things got over the last few seasons.

I suspect its longer than that LP.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Re: Bryce Gibbs 200 Games - Wayne Carey's Article

Reply #8
Interesting comment by Bryce that until recently he was content with just being an AFL player. I've seen that written many times on here!

The irony of his comment isn't lost on me.

I don't think there is a Blues fan in the land who hasn't been frustrated beyond belief with Gibbs and his laconic 'she'll be right' approach.

Nice to see him playing some really solid football now, really hope that the penny has finally dropped for good. 
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #9
Didn't he become a father recently?

That can certainly change your perspectives.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
Didn't he become a father recently?

That can certainly change your perspectives.

His baby turned 1 during the recent break - SEN interview.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #11
His baby turned 1 during the recent break - SEN interview.....

More than a coincidence then, also notice the change in Mitch Robinson as he sets up a rack of chidlings.

Historically, Carrazzo in another great example.

But I admit it can go either way, some blokes get desperate about setting up a family future, others get worried about making it home from work safely.
The Force Awakens!