Skip to main content
Topic: Goodbye Dennis Cometti (Read 6041 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Goodbye Dennis Cometti

Reply #1
Legend. Favorite line:
"He went in optimistically and came out misty optically" in reference to a player who came out of a pack bloody eyed.
Pav recounted one today on ch7. The two Carr brothers were both wearing no 9 and playing for PA and Freo respectively when they collided during the game. Dennis chimed in with something like:
"Look at that, a two Carr collision both with the same rego plates"
Will miss you Den.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #2
I hope McAvaney goes sooner, rather than later. I hate his commentary. His predictive calling is annoying and when he gets it wrong we have to listen to his reason for getting it wrong as well! Then there's the stretched names!!!! Rioliiiiiiii, Popppppeeeeee, Roughieeeeee!

The wrong guy is retiring. Thanks DC.

Reply #3
Yep - thanks for 4 decades of (mostly) sterling service.

Reply #4
Thanks Denis , end of an era, enjoyed his commentary though out the years

Reply #5
Thanks DC. Somehow I think we'll be hearing him again...  Even if it is from the west
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #6
The Cometti - McAvaney love-in schmaltz at the end was disgusting. When will 7 realise it's not about the commentators.

Reply #7
Awesome commentator. When Bruce goes  we will be left with a load of crap.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #8
The Cometti - McAvaney love-in schmaltz at the end was disgusting. When will 7 realise it's not about the commentators.

BT begs to differ  ???
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #9
Lets just say this, Ch.7 are in massive trouble now he's gone, their 2nd best is so far behind they haven't been spotted coming over the horizon.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
Serious? I thought it was fantastic - the commentators of today are narcisstic wankers, these Two love the game first and foremost and how fantastic To see that loyalty exists within colleagues still nowadays!

Reply #11
Cometti has a good understanding of the game and I think that gave his commentating an edge over other callers.  He lacks the 'look at me' behaviour of some and doesn't get caught up in the nonsense that helps spoil Taylor's commentary.

Interestingly, he said that he wasn't retiring, just not travelling anymore.  I wonder if he'll call the WA games.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #12
I hope so.

Anyone is better than Basil Zempilas.   The guy barracks for western australian teams when he is calling and is boring as watching paint dry.

Commetti has some of the best one liners in the game.  He is like the iconic commentary team members from the 90's who were all distinctly different, but had charachter.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #13
I hope so.

Anyone is better than Basil Zempilas.   The guy barracks for western australian teams when he is calling and is boring as watching paint dry.

Commetti has some of the best one liners in the game.  He is like the iconic commentary team members from the 90's who were all distinctly different, but had charachter.

The only reason Zempilas gets a guernsey is because he is good mates with Stokes.

Reply #14
Zempilas - master of the blindingly bleedin' obvious.  ::)
Reality always wins in the end.