Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 6 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 4268 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 6 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #30
Our avenue to goal looked like how I get from the tee to the pin playing golf. Lots of zig zagging and making it up as I go. They looked like Tiger Woods by comparison. Yes we won all a lot of the stats, just could not get it on the scoreboard.
Too much left to too few again. The selection of players like Boyd, Setterfield and Newnes to name a few staggers me.
Oh well, onto next week. Hope we can eek out a win, Pitto looks like he is going to miss many weeks which means more of TDK giving us next to zero use. I wonder if they give Mirkov a crack.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #31
Completely outplayed and we were never really in that contest.

Parks, Newnes, Cottrell & Boyd are way out of their depth, Williams looks like being a bust and Fisher doesn’t have the body strength to play midfield. Our leg speed is a huge issue and all of
Williamson, Dow & Philip can help that in the short term.

In the longer term, McGovern, Honey, Cunningham & Dow will provide the leg speed and class that we need.
Three of those are injured so I get that, why isnt Dow in the side?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #32
Parks and Boyd are duds and I'm not sure why we knocked ourselves out to get Setterfield. Young shows potential and is a handy player to have on the list but its not like having Jones down back and thats the reality.
Freo are an ugly team to play against and of course losing your main counter in Pittonet to their main driving force in Darcy was about the worst thing that could have happened. You add in Harry copping a knock which rendered him useless and Jack being out it just all added up to Freo winning. Cant stand Longmuir and I hope we play Freo in the finals and give them the "old heave ho" in straights sets out of the finals and back to mediocrity where they belong.
I wouldnt be talking finals just yet EB, with performances like that (injuries aside), we are a way off.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #33
The finals (in Carlton's case) is never assured until we know it is; i.e. the last seconds of the last round of home and away. 

Reply #34
I strongly suspect that our side of last year, with the loss of key personnel during the game (Pitto/H), against the same opposition would have been obliterated. We lost but didn't drop our bundle. Effort remained.

I really don't think it's any more complicated than we are a WIP and our bottom 4-6 last night were just not up to the requirements of our game plan. The efforts of our best 6-8 last night kept us in the contest.

Hopefully we see Stocker, Willo and Carroll getting a call up (all very good in our win over Werribee), along with the return of Kennedy and JSOS. On shaky ground would be Parks, Fisher, Boyd, Owies, Newnes & Setterfield. If H doesn't come up then perhaps Kemp comes in. But making so many changes seems to be against the DNA of our match committee.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #35
Losing 2 out of the last 3 games with margins of around 30 points means Voss will be able to make several changes. I'd imagine the players would be surprised if he doesn't pull the trigger.

Reply #36
Is their ruckman in trouble with the MRP for his blatant charging at Pitto?
I thought the ump is supposed to look at the ruckman to see they have eyes for the ball.
Was a dog act.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #37
Tough gig being a ruckman. At worst, it might have been a free. Lightyears away from being a report.

It's nothing like cleaning someone up with a roundarm punch to the head. The guy throwing the punch rarely gets hurt in that scenario. It's a bit of a cowardly thing to do. But when ruckmen charge each other with knees up, it's hard to say who'll cop the brunt of that contact if knees collide. It's more like 2 players clashing heads in a marking contest. It's hard to initiate contact in a way that'll ensure you won't get hurt yourself. Darcy could easily have ended up with a knee injury.

Reply #38
It’s hard to believe our best team includes Boyd, Newnes, Cottrell and Parks. I know we have injuries but when I see Stocker, Dow Carroll even Kemp, Williamson and Motlop in the two’s I find it surprising.
Is Voss and the other new coaches giving players three or four games to see what they can do or are those players in the two’s having Russell’s training blocks before they can be selected?
Fisher is not a natural small forward if no spot in midfield bye bye has had lots of chances
Are we really paying $1m a year to Williams? Don’t think he’s been in our best players in the two years he’s been here. At least Martin shows glimpses of talent occasionally, Williams has shown he can receive a handball and butcher the kick. Setterfield has talent but no heart 50 games played should be better by now but in the O’Brien mould runs to where the ball was.
I was expecting a loss after living in Perth over summer blind Freddie could see Freo are building nicely don’t think they have better players than us just more spirit and confidence. They are without without Fyffe and going well imagine if we had no Cripps or Walsh for the same length of time
 Early days for Voss and his coaching team but can see a cleanout coming end of the season. Mid table for us

Reply #39
Thought TDK battled on ok when Pitto went down. Our mids still got a lot of the ball with our starting 4 mids getting 30-37 touches between them - they had no player over 27. 

Our forwards were soundly beaten by their backs and their small forwards as usual were damaging kicked 7 goals between 3 of them against 1 from our smalls. 

I'm not in the camp we cant win without Pitto as we now have a strong midfield group who will win enough of there own ball. Last week we had Pit and he was against a first gamer and we only scrapped over the line. 

Next 2 weeks are both must wins if we are wanting to play finals. No excuses these are 2 lower raked teams that while no game is easy we still must account for them. 

Reply #40
By the way, straight after the siren Darcy and Pittonet strolled onto the ground talking in a very friendly and jocular way (including Darcy ruffling Pitt's hair). As we saw with Taylor Walker and Trent Cochin, players who think they've been subjected to dog acts don't do that. At the best, there'll be a perfunctory handshake while avoiding eye contact. To me, they seemed to respect each other as fellow warriors. Make no mistake, every centre bounce with 100+ kg players jumping into each other takes a lot of courage, precisely because both ruckmen know the risks.

Reply #41
We've had some funny reactions to the result across the various Carlton forums and pages.
There seems to be a wide range of opinions.
Was it a bad result or about what we expected?

When I was thinking about it pre-match I thought if we could get within about three to four goals we would have done alright given their current form and the home ground advantage.
The injuries to McKay and Pittonet probably added an extra weight to the task, so I'm pretty much OK with it.

Just a few thoughts.
Whether or not it was a deliberate tactic I thought we were better at "pacing" ourselves
Rather than a frantic first half and a 'die in the backside' second half we seemed to save ourselves and were no where near as tired at the end as in some of our previous games....five goals to their seven in the second half.
There were several times in the first half where we seemed to slow the game for a bit.
De Koning was a good example of that...83% time on ground but was still jumping well in the last quarter...whereas in the past, when he's shouldered the main ruck responsibility he's been buggered by the last.

Just on De Koning...He's lost the ruck duels, but with 17 disposals has been a presence around the ground and I liked some of his second efforts. Great leap and if a few of those mark attempts could stick they'd be sensational. He probably needs another pre-season in the weight room....but as a second ruck he's probably tracking OK.

Our mids had plenty of the ball but our forward line was just dysfunctional.
Curnow and McKay were often in each other's way. The injury to McKay no doubt hampered him...but I thought he may also have had some type of shoulder/arm injury. He was not confident going for his marks and on a number of occasions only went with a single arm.

Owies and Durdin were pretty much unsighted. Martin, showed a bit last week but went missing again this week. Fisher....just not enough.
Curnow is a bit of a 'cameo' player at present. Does some really good things but often goes missing for big parts of the game. Even last week when he kicked 5 he was fumbling the ball a fair bit. He's missed a lot of football so hopefully as the season progresses he starts to really hit his straps. If he's getting amongst the goals now, a bit out of touch, he could be a huge asset later in the year.

I'm not sure about our defence. We haven't had 100 points kicked against us this year (We have had four games over 90 though).
We're missing Jones. I also think we're missing McGovern. Weitering is doing a sterling job as usual....but I just wonder whether the weight of the effort will affect him as the season progresses. Young is doing OK but his real value may be as a swingman.
Our half backs seem to be a similar type of attacking/running players, but in terms of shutting down dangerous small forwards  they can be a little loose.
Boyd, great smother, but that was about it. A few silly costly errors....I guess some of those were because he was being a bit proactive, he just failed in the execution. The thing that intrigues me is that  he seems miles away to most of us yet those who know his skills better keep playing him. What do they see that we don't. Is it a case of using him as the medical sub so players like Dow and Stocker get full games in the seconds. Doesn't make a lot of sense when he comes on early in the game.

Reply #42
Lods, there's no doubt TDK will be able to rack up more possessions around the ground than the traditional big unit. That's true also of Jack. But the problem is that we're currently a clearance driven side. We need a ruckman who is able to either tap the ball to Cripps or at least stop the other ruck from punching the ball outside the contest. Then our mids can go to work and win the clearance.

The more mobile ruckman who can rack up possessions around the ground is of more use to a side which bases its game more on turning the ball over and then slingshotting out of defence.

St Kilda lost its ruckmen against GWS leaving them exposed to a very big unit in Preuss. Their fill-in did rack up possessions too but the key to their win was that Ratts closed down the game, congesting the ball-ups to ensure Preuss couldn't clear the ball. It was ugly to watch but was effective on this occasion. But it would be a mistake to read such games as showing that the big units can be taken down by a midfielder opposing them in the ruck.

Reply #43
Undecided on Boyd. His costly errors were mainly due to inexperience and over zealousness. But he should be learning in the Magoos, not the seniors.

I suspect that had Pitto not gone down, H would have been subbed out. As Principal LODS pointed out, he not only seemed to have a knee issue but went for marks with only one arm from time to time - shoulder?

I think Lewis Young shows something. Demonstrates composure under pressure and seems to make good choices when disposing of the aggot.

Agree with Principal LODS that TDK gave his all and did some very handy work around the ground. His 'break-out' game is not far away.

Prepared to cut Martin and our small forwards some slack... the talls they rely on were down and delivery into the forward line was haphazard and scarce. Crippa was our best  'tall forward'...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #44
I'm also not sure the more even pacing we displayed through the game was evidence of increasing fitness. I suspect we went into the game with the mentality of a boxer who is wary of his opponent's ability to counter-punch; we tried to get into clinches with Freo. Rather than the helter-skelter attack that allowed us to open up big early leads against the Hawks and others, we tried to go down the line and limit Freo's ability to get some width. That produced more subdued scoring and also reduced the amount of flat out sprinting.