Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3 2023 Post Game Prognostications Giants vs Carlton (Read 6987 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 3 2023 Post Game Prognostications Giants vs Carlton

Reply #225
IDGAF. Do they think Harry was unlucky to miss out on a free for holding the man? I’m guessing they’d say that such decisions are just the rub of the green …

I thought it was dropping the ball but was fine with the play on call as he only had it a split second before he flicked it out.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #226
This has to be some kind of record, 16 pages on the Post Game, 4 on the game, 12 on one free kick.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #227
I thought it was dropping the ball but was fine with the play on call as he only had it a split second before he flicked it out.

I think that “play on” was the most likely call given the umpire’s view of the play.

Imagine the angst if he’d paid a free either way.  Of course, Harry wouldn’t be a Monty to goal from there.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #228
This has to be some kind of record, 16 pages on the Post Game, 4 on the game, 12 on one free kick.

One of the most debated free kicks ever.  It’s got to be up there with Doug Wade being penalised for holding Peter Barry’s shorts seconds before he marked dead in front … and we won by less than a goal; an indelible memory 🙂
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #229
I've seen enough of the game now to be damned frustrated. We could have really killed this lot in the 3rd quarter: shot after shot for no rewards.
As for Lochie O'Brien, he has to be dropped from that effort. he needs to get a full game into him, a bit of form and a bit of belief. At the moment, he is showing nothing.
Against Richmond he wasn't that bad, even though he mucked up the kick that would have won it. Since then he's delivered nothing.

It was nice seeing Jack Silvagni showing some form. Not having to waste himself in the ruck allowed him to play a game much more suited to himself.

I can't say enough about Nick Newman; his game was excellent.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #230
As for Lochie O'Brien, he has to be dropped from that effort. he needs to get a full game into him, a bit of form and a bit of belief. At the moment, he is showing nothing.

This is probably a discussion deserving of a thread in it's own right.

My thoughts are that Lochie's problem is more with the stupid sub rule than anything else. How is the poor kid expected to develop any form or belief if all he plays is a quarter of football every week?

Never been a fan of the sub rule - tactical or otherwise. Where do we stop? Players will get injured and so be it. Do we need 18 players on the bench?

Reply #231

This is probably a discussion deserving of a thread in it's own right.

My thoughts are that Lochie's problem is more with the stupid sub rule than anything else. How is the poor kid expected to develop any form or belief if all he plays is a quarter of football every week?

Never been a fan of the sub rule - tactical or otherwise. Where do we stop? Players will get injured and so be it. Do we need 18 players on the bench?
I can understand where you're coming from. We need to spread the sub job around. Lochie's probably suffering from not playing enough football. he needs to get 20 - 30 possessions in the 2's and some confidence. Being on the bench as he was is doing nothing for him.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #232

Agreed.

For me I can't understand the logic of a Sub and a Cap on rotations, we have the Cap on rotations so you might as well leave the cap in place and have a 5th player on the bench, or 6th or 7th for that matter. It's not like you can rotate them freely, if they want they could just tighten up the rotation cap even further and have more players on the bench.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #233
The rotation cap was to stop injuries, that really worked.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #234
The rotation cap was to stop injuries, that really worked.

Was it to stop injuries or slow the game down a bit and increase the fatigue factor to ease congestion.

It's an interesting situation.
It would be good to see some stats.
What's the effect of the cap.
Logic would indicate that if the players are more fatigued they would struggle to reach contests and congestion would be lessened.
On the other hand players pushing themselves through fatigue, rather than coming off for a rest, is more likely to result in a soft tissue injury.

Reply #235

Given the day I would have laughed if the umpire paid the free kick and just as it was about to be kicked, the umpire goes "April Fool"....haha.

Reply #236
Was it to stop injuries or slow the game down a bit and increase the fatigue factor to ease congestion.

It's an interesting situation.
It would be good to see some stats.
What's the effect of the cap.
Logic would indicate that if the players are more fatigued they would struggle to reach contests and congestion would be lessened.
On the other hand players pushing themselves through fatigue, rather than coming off for a rest, is more likely to result in a soft tissue injury.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/league-keeps-eye-on-rotations/news-story/ac4b97659ea74ab37ccec3a30598cf83
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!