Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3 2023 Post Game Prognostications Giants vs Carlton (Read 6986 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 3 2023 Post Game Prognostications Giants vs Carlton

Reply #30
I haven't seen much of the game other than the last 10-15min as I was at the GP. But all this talk of "an ugly win", "stole the game", what a load of nonsense. Couple of things:
- Stolen win - Nathan Williamson says hi. We have.had plenty of games "stolen" from us, what goes around comes around.
- Ugly win - A W is W every day of the week and Ill take it however I can get it especially on the road.
I have read Newman absolutely gave Tobey Greene a bath, that's excellent news. Greene is one of the comps few genuine match winners who I'd have in our side in a heart beat so that's a huge scalp for Newmy.
Whatever happened yesterday, its done. Review, reset and focus on smashing Norf this week please, it will be no easy gig but we MUST bank wins early and set the scene for the year ahead.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #31
Haven't seen 1 minute of the match, might watch the Kayo mini highlights.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #32
Blacres take a bow, the everywhere man and did nursing a shoulder.
Newman shutting down Green, matchwinner right there. (Newman that is!)
Ugly game
I wish we could sort out our forward line. Too many times we are spoiling each other.
Need to lead different ways.
McKay goes to ground waay tooooooooo easy.
Delivery for him needs to be out in front NOT on his head.
Who wanted JSOS out of the team?  :o
How good is King Charles, can't wait for that game where he runs riot.
Winning ugly and winning the close ones is what good teams do, we only have to be better than the other team by a point. (Say hi to the Cheats)  :D
I'm sure the Filth weren't disappointed by winning all the close ones last year and look at them now.
The LOB experiment has run it's course, I have zero confidence in his ability. Surely we have someone better that can impersonate a headless chook running around.  ::)
Will be a few changes this week and like previous years I think Norp will be eyeing us off as a W. Time for some payback.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #33
I haven't seen much of the game other than the last 10-15min as I was at the GP. But all this talk of "an ugly win", "stole the game", what a load of nonsense. Couple of things:
- Stolen win - Nathan Williamson says hi. We have.had plenty of games "stolen" from us, what goes around comes around.
- Ugly win - A W is W every day of the week and Ill take it however I can get it especially on the road.
I have read Newman absolutely gave Tobey Greene a bath, that's excellent news. Greene is one of the comps few genuine match winners who I'd have in our side in a heart beat so that's a huge scalp for Newmy.
Whatever happened yesterday, its done. Review, reset and focus on smashing Norf this week please, it will be no easy gig but we MUST bank wins early and set the scene for the year ahead.

Same page here, GTC old son. I was honestly gobsmacked when I saw the headline that we stole the game. 10 more shots on goal and we stole the game, eh... FO. Absurd, wrong and insulting to our boys.

And Robbo wrote last night that the dissent call late in last was 'preposterous'... I can only assume that in a frantic effort to be 'first' and the most 'sensational,' Robbo forgot about the truth/reality. What was the umpire to do when Coniglio let rip on him? Mind you I understand Coniglio's frustration that H wasn't free kicked for incorrect disposal but as a leader, especially, you don't cross the line with your mouth at the umpire... and I think Coniglio realised that, judging by the look on his face after the fact. What did he think would happen when abusing the ump?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #34
Same page here, GTC old son. I was honestly gobsmacked when I saw the headline that we stole the game. 10 more shots on goal and we stole the game, eh... FO. Absurd, wrong and insulting to our boys.

And Robbo wrote last night that the dissent call late in last was 'preposterous'... I can only assume that in a frantic effort to be 'first' and the most 'sensational,' Robbo forgot about the truth/reality. What was the umpire to do when Coniglio let rip on him? Mind you I understand Coniglio's frustration that H wasn't free kicked for incorrect disposal but as a leader, especially, you don't cross the line with your mouth at the umpire... and I think Coniglio realised that, judging by the look on his face after the fact. What did he think would happen when abusing the ump?

There's obviously been a bit more than just a wave of the arms.
If Coniglio has sworn at the umpire isn't that a reportable offence?

In fact the AFL, thinking strategically, can kill any controversy if he's charged...the penalty is a fine so he won't miss games but it makes a point

Laws of the Game
Reportable offences
h) Using abusive, insulting or obscene language towards or in relation to an umpire.

Reply #35
There's obviously been a bit more than just a wave of the arms.
If Coniglio has sworn at the umpire isn't that a reportable offence?
I think the umpire explained fairly accurately to the GWS player (not Cogs), he stated that his arms were wide appart and he yelled what's that, the umpire then explained definitely "that's dissent". So as Baggers so eloquently stated, the GWS players and everyone else can FO!
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #36
If you watch The Round So Far on the AFL website, from about the 5 min mark, you can see a replay of the umpire explaining to Whitfield why the free was paid : Coniglio puts his arms out and says "how is that not a free kick ?". If that's the extent of it, then it's a poor decision IMO.

Reply #37
If you watch The Round So Far on the AFL website, from about the 5 min mark, you can see a replay of the umpire explaining to Whitfield why the free was paid : Coniglio puts his arms out and says "how is that not a free kick ?". If that's the extent of it, then it's a poor decision IMO.

There is a suggestion (I first heard it on the after match commentary) that there was also some swearing involved.

Reply #38
There is a suggestion (I first heard it on the after match commentary) that there was also some swearing involved.

Ì wonder why the umpire didn't include that in his explanation to Whitfield  ?

Reply #39
The definitions of dissent are made crystal clear to the players, there doesn't need to be swearing involved, correct decision by the ump, we move on. The fact that it was a. close to the goals b. towards the end of the game is completely irrelevant.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #40
The initial commentators were perplexed initially but then said that’s dissent - bad timing and area for GWS but that’s the role.

The after match crew went further and said there was more to it than we saw which was swearing at the umpire.

Reply #41

Seems the ump said all that he needed in explaining to Whitfield that the dissent was for what Coniglio said/did, not what he said/did. . On-air commentators also mentioned the expletives... perhaps they could hear the edits once it was replayed?

After game commentators also, equipped with the exact reason for the dissent, agreed with the umps call.

Reply #42
Whilst i get what you’re saying, it was an ugly ugly win.

We absolutely take it.

But an ugly win constitutes:

Terrible ground
Constant falling over by our guys
Miskicks
Stupid decisions when in absolutely no pressure
20 behinds!

Gws had a good patch and thankfully we matched it. They then went to crap kicking out on the full etc so we got over the line.

Should’ve put it away in the first half but left the door open. Need to smash those games and put it beyond doubt early

Very happy for the win tho.

Reply #43
Another perspective, a positive perspective, on the gritty/ugly wins is that it builds a confidence within the group that they can win close, tough, hard games with conditions and other things against them. An importance reference for the group, and confidence within the group... also helps to erase any doubts from the end of last year.

Reply #44
I think the umpire explained fairly accurately to the GWS player (not Cogs), he stated that his arms were wide appart and he yelled what's that, the umpire then explained definitely "that's dissent". So as Baggers so eloquently stated, the GWS players and everyone else can FO!
GTC..If that call had been made on one of our players we would all have gone into orbit and picketed AFL house.
We got real lucky imho and the footy gods were smiling on us for a change which was very handy given the state of the game.
It wasnt winning ugly it more winning lucky imo and we were embarrassing most of the game.
GWS are the softest, most poorly led soulless team in the comp and we would want to deliver better vs Nth or we will get knocked over.