Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 6: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 22343 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 6: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #60
Wright does some nice things, but he's part of the problem at the moment which is we are way too slow inside forward 50, we just don't apply pressure to keep the ball in our forward half. Yes our skills let us down at times last night, but the biggest difference between the teams was pressure and tackles inside forward 50. We have an abundance of talls down there who don't tackle, and they are surrounded by Silvagni, Wright etc who try hard but don'e have the speed and agility to apply high level pressure

I don't see him as part of the problem.
He is one of our genuine players, and has been for a couple of years. If we are too slow, that's not Wright being part of the problem, that's the MC for not picking other quicker players to be along side him.

Reply #61
As Dermie said, we have some serious young talent on out list but we can't seem to do anything with them.

Reply #62
Might as well give LeBois a crack (esp. if Garlett out of favour or wounded), SOJ a waste of space presently...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #63
Need to sort things out at the MC level first.

I'd drop SPS.   Retaining him means accepting half arsed efforts and he currently isn't on. He should be in the coaches office first thing Monday getting it served to him.

I'd drop SOS.   He won't make it in his guise as a mark and kick forward, essentially a redundant role. He doesn't provide enough pressure,  neither does Lamb.  Players of his ilk need a dominant midfield which we don't have.   He needs to find a different role.   As a third year player he's had a fair lick of the ice cream,  his list spot is under pressure.

Mullet has played six putrid games, must be dropped.   Play Shaw (gulp)  or Schumacher. Can't get it,  can't dispose of it.

OShea is not up to par, as for above.  

Kennedy really worries me... His lack of ability to spread, the way he lumbered around.... Surely he showed more ability at GWS than what he has shown this year?

Cunningham must play every game from here on in.

Surprised we cut Boekhorst given our abject lack of outside run.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #64

I'd drop SPS.   Retaining him means accepting half arsed efforts and he currently isn't on. He should be in the coaches office first thing Monday getting it served to him.

I'd drop SOS.   He won't make it in his guise as a mark and kick forward, essentially a redundant role. He doesn't provide enough pressure,  neither does Lamb.  Players of his ilk need a dominant midfield which we don't have.   He needs to find a different role.   As a third year player he's had a fair lick of the ice cream,  his list spot is under pressure.

Mullet has played six putrid games, must be dropped.   Play Shaw (gulp)  or Schumacher. Can't get it,  can't dispose of it.

Kennedy really worries me... His lack of ability to spread, the way he lumbered around.... Surely he showed more ability at GWS than what he has shown this year?

Well I'm surprised, as were a few others, that we cut Gowers!

Young SoJ is a worry, the MC has moved him outside and he's not up to it, he needs to be in the traffic were his smarts and agility work to his advantage. But the moment he is a desert full of pain!

Our kids or our MC, not sure which, is absolutely crap at getting match ups right. But have a look at our coaching panel, Barker is the most experienced, then BB, then a bunch of P-Platers. We have kids teaching kids, it's Lord of the Flies on match day, we are really exposed!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65
The result was disappointing but we were missing 4 of the top 5 from last year's B&F along with Weitering, Pickett and Byrne, so considering that we finished 16th with them all playing it's hardly surprising that we're struggling.
There were positives however.
McKay is very clean, no fumbles or indecision unlike some of our more senior players, and will be a nice player in time, maybe even a top liner, and Fisher is going from strength to strength.
There's also a lot to like about both O'Brien and Dow, so I expect better performances when we can at least get Murphy and Kreuzer back in the side, it's hard to be patient but there's just no other option.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #66
BB was a bit naive in the post match presser, he used age and experience as a reason for the troubles, but we were just beaten by a younger less experienced side as CheatsFC TV liked to remind us!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #67
The result was disappointing but we were missing 4 of the top 5 from last year's B&F along with Weitering, Pickett and Byrne, so considering that we finished 16th with them all playing it's hardly surprising that we're struggling.
There were positives however.
McKay is very clean, no fumbles or indecision unlike some of our more senior players, and will be a nice player in time, maybe even a top liner, and Fisher is going from strength to strength.
There's also a lot to like about both O'Brien and Dow, so I expect better performances when we can at least get Murphy and Kreuzer back in the side, it's hard to be patient but there's just no other option.

Agree.

Reply #68
BB was a bit naive in the post match presser, he used age and experience as a reason for the troubles, but we were just beaten by a younger less experienced side as CheatsFC TV liked to remind us!

How many players from the 2016 GF took the field last night ?

Reply #69

They showed us, looked like more than half the team was missing.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #70

I think they had exactly 1/2, but reality is they fielded the average youngest side this season, and it was naive for BB to use our youth as an excuse!

I thought BB post-match analysis was accurate, the problems were clear and he identified them.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #72

Yep , obviously his  scouts or assistants didnt fill him in on the young dogs team...five players with less than 10 games...he should stick with what he does best and thats cliches and avoid the facts...

Reply #73
They showed us, looked like more than half the team was missing.

I think they had exactly 1/2, but reality is they fielded the average youngest side this season, and it was naive for BB to use our youth as an excuse!

I thought BB post-match analysis was accurate, the problems were clear and he identified them.

They said 11 on the broadcast

Thanks gents. That's still 10 more than us, and IMO counts for a lot. Adding up each player's age and taking an average can give a distorted view of the age profile.

Reply #74

Hard to argue, I'd play more kids and try and find a couple that can play.....Mullet and OShea are VFL only, Kennedy is injured or came from GWS with an injury and looks like he needs a month off at least and games in the VFL to get fit...Cuningham should never have been dropped, Jack may be our Jason Cloke on route to getting us our Trav Cloke brother Ben...he is slow and cant be played if you play Mckay, Boult and Charlie down forward..you add Wright and its not quick enough for modern footy. Wright is a good footballer and smart but he isnt quick...