Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 6: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 22346 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 6: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #75
Thanks gents. That's still 10 more than us, and IMO counts for a lot. Adding up each player's age and taking an average can give a distorted view of the age profile.

Professional teams would take advantage of that inexperience, about a 1/4 of their team had less than 10 games!

It wasn't a good night for our MC or Coaching panel, not purely because of the tactics, in fact I think if not for our unforced errors we may well have won. I think if we'd had SpecialK and Murphy we would have certainly won. But we certainly failed to expose the Dogs youth, in this regard we failed.

A few of us have been shouted down on here about MC selections, McKay, SoJ, O'Shea, why it took so long to play Kerridge, how can it be Kerr isn't getting a run. I wonder what the naysayers think after last night?

Young SoJ is becoming a real problem for us, we have his back apparently, perhaps because of his dad he's getting games he does not deserve! Opposition teams have identified his opponent as a gateway for lots of their ball movement, that is a tell. He's lost that strength and aggression he showed in the first couple of years, if he is carrying an injury how can he develop under those circumstances, if he mentally shot what are we trying to do to him?

Can anyone seriously look me in the face and tell me that if Kerr come in he'd be less effective?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #76
So what do we do with our “non- tryers”? We can’t drop half the side. I don’t know how do we get in their heads and shake them up so they really put in.
I know skill are also an issues. How do we fix this also? Coaches can only do so much, but these guys are professionals. I know for some of the younger guys they are still very much developing into AFL players, but we need the older heads to set the standard.
I know these questions have been asked over and over but I’m trying to put it together in my head.

My young fella, nearly 7, has shown a real interest in watching games on Tele with me this year. Stayed up to watch last night but fell asleep by half time haha. Same against the filth a few weeks ago. He does have a soft spot for the Bulldogs, cos he likes dogs, and last night he said to me “Dad I don’t want to upset you but I wish we were born Bulldogs supporters not Blues supporters”. It was an innocent comment from the mouth of a child but I couldn’t help but feel slightly crushed haha. The first thing he asked me this morning was who won and he was so disappointed when I told him that the Blues had lost.
I am a patient person and I trust in the process that we are currently going through. I just hope we come good before he’s old enough to make his own decisions. Already this year my brother, a supporter of more than 30 years, has jumped ship. To the scum. THE SCUM!! And he’s now a paid up member! I mean how? I don’t understand.

Anyway this is the longest post I’ve ever dropped.

Go Blues, let’s keep our heads up. Keep supporting and trust that we are in the right path.

Reply #77
Thanks gents. That's still 10 more than us, and IMO counts for a lot. Adding up each player's age and taking an average can give a distorted view of the age profile.

I seldom if ever take this stat seriously, or of influence. Very young sides have won Premierships and sides with senior blokes bristling with experience have flopped badly.

One constant for success -- look at the Pussycats/Fluffy Ducks/Dawks/Tiggers -- is a core group of about 15/16 blokes playing together week in, week out.

We've got about 5 very important blokes out at present, which means about 5 blokes are getting games by default. When that changes, I reckon we'll get a much better idea of where we are at. But the clock is ticking... loudly...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #78
So sick of our deplorable skills.

Can’t kick, can’t handball. Couple of players can mark ok. Not bl00dy acceptable. WB won a premiership on the back of slick handball WHICH THEY OBVIOUSLY PRACTICED.

FMD, can we go back to dragging a player from the field if he misses a target or doesn’t stick a tackle or whatever? Drag them from the frikkin’ field and give them a bake over the phone. Screw this new age approach where we don’t want to dent their confidence or hurt their feelings. What about OUR feelings?

The way I see it, we have 3 players at an acceptable professional AFL standard. The rest are frauds.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #79
I think they had exactly 1/2, but reality is they fielded the average youngest side this season, and it was naive for BB to use our youth as an excuse!

I thought BB post-match analysis was accurate, the problems were clear and he identified them.

Actually, take Simpson out and we're younger. Not that it means much.

Reply #80
Just out in the car listening to SEN. Dermie and Bob Murphy discussing the current spate of poor skill execution in the AFL. They were saying that it was probably partly down to the demands of coaches in the modern game to call for more and more rushed low percentage disposals in order to try and break through opposition defences, especially through the corridor. When they go wrong they are often disastrous and so many players are very nervous when executing them, especially the less skilled guys.
We seem to be afflicted more than our fair share!  :o
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #81
Dogs had 5 players who have played less than 10 games, we really need to stop with the excuses.

See, this type of stat $hits me.
Yes, it is correct. But why pick 10?
What about 4 games or less? We had 3, they had 2.

Why not 30 games? or better yet, lets make it 33 games. From the 2 sides that ran out there last night...

Carlton had 10 players who have played less than 33 games.
Doggies had 7 players who have played less than 33 games.

Sure, they had less games on average than us too. But is the gap really that big?
Lets take the 2 most experienced players out of each team. (Simpson and Daisy, Suckling and Dalhaus)

You know the average amount of games played from the remaining 20 players
Carlton - 49.9
Dogs - 46.9

3 games difference between the rest. I'm sure the average age stats would show similar, but i CBF working them out too. Due to having 2 veterans on our list in Simpson and Thomas, it makes us appear a lot older and more experienced than the dogs, buts its just not the case.

Yes, they showed injury list of 2 teams.
I didn't see Picketts name on our list....nor did i see A. Silvagnis. I'm sure there are a couple of more that i've missed.

Dogs home game. Favourable comparisons.

Reply #82
Look we are only 3 seasons into a 166 game rebuild.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #83
Imo our main failing last night was another failure of skills execution. Error ridden disposals, fumbling, bad decisions, failure to take our opportunities and turnovers are what really cost us. Very very frustrating to watch in a game we should have won.  >:(
Yes but also lack of pressure in the fwd line. We are not manic enough to lock the ball in. We did it a couple of times but it isnt good enough. Putting pressure (tackling, locking it in the fwd 50, 1%ers is not an experience or age thing. Its attitude and not that hard. SPS is the classic example, looks like he just got out of bed as opposed to a footballer playing AFL on a Friday night. Just ambles along with no urgency. I realise some footballers seem to have time, he just looks lazy to me ATM.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #84
Im gutted we lost, but we were so close to pulling off a win despite how poorly we played for the majority of the game. I said it in the In Game Thread, there was a point late in the last where if we kicked 2 in a row, the Bullies sphincters really would have tightened. Sure enough, we got one then Charlie got in great position and shanked one he really should have kicked. It would have been on like donkey kong but alas. Point is, we've got a hell of a lot of room for improvement but only need to do a few things better at certain points in games when they are in the balance. I say again, I'm gutted we lost (more so for the boys than us supporters) but it can turn around very quickly if we grab our chances when they present. We've got players in Cripps (who might give the Brownlow a nudge at this rate), Charlie, Fisher and eventually Dow and H who will drag people through the turnstyles. Fisher is getting better with every game, his contested numbers are increasing every week. Cripps in my view is now elite. If Charlie could stop getting caught so much, he will kick 10 in a game.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #85
Im gutted we lost, but we were so close to pulling off a win despite how poorly we played for the majority of the game. I said it in the In Game Thread, there was a point late in the last where if we kicked 2 in a row, the Bullies sphincters really would have tightened. Sure enough, we got one then Charlie got in great position and shanked one he really should have kicked. It would have been on like donkey kong but alas. Point is, we've got a hell of a lot of room for improvement but only need to do a few things better at certain points in games when they are in the balance. I say again, I'm gutted we lost (more so for the boys than us supporters) but it can turn around very quickly if we grab our chances when they present.

Pretty much the way I see it as well.

Reply #86
Pretty much the way I see it as well.
I added a few extra bits
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #88
Old mate David Rhys-Jones hit a few btw he eyes on the way out with this post on a FB page. Love the passion Ol Boy

I used to think this page was for true blue Carlton supporters, not a bunch of whingers. None of you have played a game or have any real knowledge of the sacrifices and dedication made by a lot of good people, but are self appointed experts. After the last couple of weeks of bitching and moaning, I am happily going to unfollow this thread. Look up the meaning of supporter some of you fickle keyboard warriors. I’m sure in a couple of years when we have 50+ games into these kids and start climbing up the ladder, you so called experts will be claiming some sort of justification of knowing it would happen. I will continue to SUPPORT the club, it’s players, coaches and administration, not take the easy way out and throwing insults and derogatory comments at good people who are doing there best to get this club it’s 17th premiership. See ya
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #89
That's a bit of a whack from DRJ.