Kade Simpson
[ 34 ] (52.3%)
Andrew Carrazzo
[ 3 ] (4.6%)
Other
[ 11 ] (16.9%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: October 14, 2013, 01:34:16 pm

Topic: Poll added: Marc Murphy should not be captain (Read 23241 times) previous topic - next topic

Poll added: Marc Murphy should not be captain

Clearly the club made the wrong call on appointing Marc Murphy captain.

His on field performance has been well below average. From the outside it looks like he isn't a great motivator of his teammates. He has become an opposition target.

Pretty clear last night that Simpson is the spiritual leader on field and has a greater aura than Murphy.

Think we erred in letting Judd stand down. Malthouse should have taken a year to assess the leadership group.

Re: Poll added: Marc Murphy should not be captain

Reply #1
Judd doesn't want it.
The remaining candidates are too old or have other issues. Only Hendo being the other option IMO but I'd like to see him get a year or two more good footy under his belt.
God knows what stripping him of the captaincy would do.

Reply #2
Unfortunately by Judd not wanting the gig anymore, it forced the Club's hands. Ideally I reckon they would've loved Juddy to have it for one more year, so that by year's end the Club would would have a much clearer picture of who would be the best fit for the role. Right now, Murphy is so far off that best fit, that I actually do feel some empathy for him, as I reckon the role has clearly affected his performances the entire season, as he struggles with the extra on-field attention & just the overall pressure of being the man we & the playing group look to for in regards to leadership & inspiration. When was the last time Murph was B.O.G....certainly hasn't occurred this year. As the year has rolled on, all the pre-season candidates for the role have dropped off a cliff - all except Simmo, who started the season as badly as I can remember, but right now stands head & shoulders above any other player in this team.

Murph won't have the captaincy taken from him, as there'd be too many negative repercussions for that to happen.....but I bet the club wishes it had it's time over again in regards to making that decision.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #3
I think we all thought murphs was up to it last year.
But the the extra? Pressure he now has Has showed he can't handle it.
He's a nice guy o doubt about it, but we all know where they finish.
We need someone with passion, physicality, someone who gets angry e.g  Hodge, Voss, Brown, Selwood, Kernahan, etc
We need a leader who will stand up & take control
At the moment he is a shadow of the player he was last year

Reply #4
Left field.....Zach!!!

besides the pressers would be a hoot. ;D
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #5
Been a disaster making Murphy captain and last night when Simpson addressed the players it was embarrassing IMO......

Murphy needs to hand the role over to another player and concentrate on his own game and being able to shake the best tagger each week.
With Judd declining we have only one A grade mid and that is Murphy and we need him firing...problem is without Judd both Murphy and Gibbs are less effective and our midfield lacks class.

Murphy wont be any good until we replace Judd with a player of equal ability and stature in the game or another couple of very good mids who can take the heat off him and they probably need to be the bigger 190cm type mids who can block for him and feed the ball out....

Reply #6
Left field.....Zach!!!

besides the pressers would be a hoot. ;D

Not as crazy as it sounds. He certainly doesn't give a backward step. Remember how he got in Selwood's face..I loved that.
Keep the Faith

Reply #7
Simpson for sure. His beard should be dipped in gold to preserve it too. Best leader on the field by a mile in our squad. Those who doubted him earlier this season should put their hands up to be shot. I just can't remember if I was one of them.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #8
Voted for Hendo cos of his age over Simmo.
Simmo is our leader but for the long term, Hendo should be Capt.
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #9
Everyone is happy for the coach to adjust and make changes but Murph doesn't get the same generosity.

Ill back Micks judgement on this one, he's had some pretty good captains I the past.
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #10
its not that MMurphy is not a captains shoe laces - that's obvious
The concern is how it was arrived at the decision to select him
That's where they lost me

Reply #11
Everyone is happy for the coach to adjust and make changes but Murph doesn't get the same generosity.

Ill back Micks judgement on this one, he's had some pretty good captains I the past.

I'm not happy for the coach to need time to adjust and I think Murph has had plenty of time to do the things he needs to be doing out on the field to be a great leader without also needing time to adjust. Malthouse talks about growing into the role but doesn't that really relate to captains starting out at the age of 23-23? Murph is 26, will probably only be captain for 4 years, how long is he going to need to grow into the role?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #12

Marketing dept. He's photogenic and good for publicity. Not as silly a statement as you might interpret.

Murph is not as bad as we're making him out to be, though. He's carrying injuries (SO WHY THE F*CK IS HE PLAYING) which are lessening his on-field play and leadership. The bloke is a leader, but not the leader. How can a new Senior Coach who has been at the club 17 minutes be influential in deciding the skipper... he wasn't, I would think. He was more likely influenced by c0ckheads and marketing... but, I repeat myself.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #13
@PI2C

Sorry mate I should have used "everyone".  My bad  :-[
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #14

Marketing dept. He's photogenic and good for publicity. Not as silly a statement as you might interpret.

Murph is not as bad as we're making him out to be, though. He's carrying injuries (SO WHY THE F*CK IS HE PLAYING) which are lessening his on-field play and leadership. The bloke is a leader, but not the leader. How can a new Senior Coach who has been at the club 17 minutes be influential in deciding the skipper... he wasn't, I would think. He was more likely influenced by c0ckheads and marketing... but, I repeat myself.

Yep..they wanted a marquee player as captain not an average joe like Carrazzo, Simpson or Duigan?...was Duigan ever a chance given the number of games he has played....average joes dont sell memberships or look good on TV footy panels unless they have working class support as in Nick Maxwells case.
If Malthouse was the one making the decision then has screwed up royally and the anti Malthouse league has my support on this one.....like to see Murphy abdicate from the throne at the end of the season..