Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Round 20: Northern Blues vs Williamstown (Read 12190 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Round 20: Northern Blues vs Williamstown

Reply #15
I was there until part-way through the third and noticed KJ early because he did a couple of good things but then started noticing him for all the wrong reasons.
I though McKay looked a class above a couple of times but I have a tendency to dream ;D

Where was Whiley, Everitt, etc? Is it standard practice to end the season early for players unlikely to play in the seniors again?

Reply #16
Difficult to judge too harshly guys playing in a team so undermanned.

Reply #17
Must have some impact on development when your listed players are playing with substandard VFL players.....we really need to bring in some better VFL types or get a stand alone team where we attract and pay up for better VFL players to support our listed players.
Whats Jordan Russell doing playing with the Bulldogs two's for example?...he should be with the NB's....

Reply #18
Another factor may be that several of our list now have a pretty good idea that they won't be around next year so the motivation level would be flagging?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #19
Thank you for the ripper report, Ye Rat O' the River.

Now you know my secret! Look forward to the pies, enjoy the pies because the footy is likely to be pretty darn disappointing!

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #20
Where is Clem Smith?

Reply #21
@RR So it sounds like KJ and DVR added another few nails in their coffins.

Jaksch can't do much right. He's had a good VFL year kicked goals at one end, been good at the other end. Had a couple of games where he's kicked 4, two or three more where he's kicked 3. If that crap I really look forward to things when he comes good! No matter what he does, or has one below par game, seems he's always going to be no good. No matter his faults, an attitude may be one, no-one can say he hasn't shown a bit this year in the VFL.

Reply #22
Jaksch can't do much right. He's had a good VFL year kicked goals at one end, been good at the other end. Had a couple of games where he's kicked 4, two or three more where he's kicked 3. If that crap I really look forward to things when he comes good! No matter what he does, or has one below par game, seems he's always going to be no good. No matter his faults, an attitude may be one, no-one can say he hasn't shown a bit this year in the VFL.

I can! Even though he hit the scoreboard in the game I saw, his performance was ordinary and he gave nowhere near the effort required of our senior players.  KJ needs to dominate at VFL level and he hasn't done that so far.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #23
Must have some impact on development when your listed players are playing with substandard VFL players.....we really need to bring in some better VFL types or get a stand alone team where we attract and pay up for better VFL players to support our listed players.
Whats Jordan Russell doing playing with the Bulldogs two's for example?...he should be with the NB's....

Yep, agree. We've been down this road before haven't we elwood. You and I have spoken of this a number of times.

And, then you have the Pies stand alone VFL team on top and flag favourites. We need some more success at VFL level for sure, and the development of our younger guys to blossom a lot more than it has, or is. I look forward to more changes and development from the Club!

Reply #24

He has shown a little bit from time to time but has not improved noticeably since last year - has similar level of capability to Matthew Watson - more pace / less reliable disposal skills / able to hold an uncontested mark that falls into his hands / able to win a free kick if he ever gets in the front position / commonly has posters calling for him to get promoted on the back of not showing very much but because he might do better at the higher level.

Watto was retained on the list for several years because of his draft position and the hope, as a tall player, that he might develop with time; deja vu?

Reply #25
@RR
My take on Jaksch is similar. I think BB and SoS are very skeptical about his ability to make it at senior AFL level and he has a lot of work to do if he is to change that perception. It will be interesting to see if the club will allow him to serve out his contract.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #26
Yep, agree. We've been down this road before haven't we elwood. You and I have spoken of this a number of times.

And, then you have the Pies stand alone VFL team on top and flag favourites. We need some more success at VFL level for sure, and the development of our younger guys to blossom a lot more than it has, or is. I look forward to more changes and development from the Club!

x 2. A stand alone CFC 2nds just has to happen or more player resources be poured into the NBs. For a number of reasons our seconds are effectively a burden on the seniors. This summer we just have to recruit quality VFL players to help our kids/recovering seniors, not hinder them. The BB and other senior side coach's influence on the NBs was very evident early in the season and at times during the season (effort/intensity) but the lack of talent on the paddock (for whatever reason) finally wore everyone down.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #27
x 2. A stand alone CFC 2nds just has to happen or more player resources be poured into the NBs. For a number of reasons our seconds are effectively a burden on the seniors. This summer we just have to recruit quality VFL players to help our kids/recovering seniors, not hinder them. The BB and other senior side coach's influence on the NBs was very evident early in the season and at times during the season (effort/intensity) but the lack of talent on the paddock (for whatever reason) finally wore everyone down.

I'm not convinced that we need a stand alone team but we must have a core group of experienced, very good VFL standard players. 

I guess that one of the problems is being able to play AFL-listed players where and how they are expected to play at AFL level.  The VFL core group should include a couple of solid versatile midfielders and a bunch of blokes who are comfortable playing in defence or as a forward.  Someone mentioned Jordan Russell and I think that players of his ability and versatility would be ideal.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #28
Someone mentioned Jordan Russell and I think that players of his ability and versatility would be ideal.
Being treated very well at the WBs and loves it there from what I have been told.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #29
My take on it is that we should have an aim to supplement the AFL listed player with quality VFL regulars, with the aim of playing finals, and possibly winning it.

Players would develop together and hopefully have some measure of success, a lot easier when the team has a chance of winning.