Skip to main content

Poll

How will Carlton react to recent results?

The Quick Fix, it's back to the bad old ways!
[ 1 ] (2.1%)
Nothing, they have no idea what to do!
[ 5 ] (10.4%)
They'll stick fat, and stay on course!
[ 42 ] (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Topic: The Quick Fix (Read 17417 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Quick Fix

Reply #15
42 players later and with SOS the mate of the MLG I know who the fall guy is....problem with losing a lot more games than you win with an extension to the rebuild is you lose fans/members and money. The AFL take away your Friday nights and you become Sunday game failures, sponsors get harder to get and the board get nervous and want change. Bolton will get another season but it wouldnt want to be a repeat of how this one has started, it will be interesting how panicked the club is and how we draft either more kids on mass or messiah drafting where we chase hard and pay overs for big names.

Facts are the rebuild hasnt gone the way we planned, either we have gone backwards or other clubs like North have taken big steps forward, I'm going with the latter and that puts the coach in the cross hairs along with his assistants....I'd expect some big changes to Boltons support team next season and a cleanout of his assistants...

Yes I tend to agree. BB and his assistants have probably got this year to show something but this board appointed him and it would be very reluctant in the immediate term to admit they got it wrong. I think there could possibly be an attempted face-saver e'g' a  Roos-like figure appointed at some stage as "Director of Coaching" or some such title but in reality he would be a full time mentor for BB. Whether BB would cop that is open to question of course.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #16
Yes I tend to agree. BB and his assistants have probably got this year to show something but this board appointed him and it would be very reluctant in the immediate term to admit they got it wrong. I think there could possibly be an attempted face-saver e'g' a  Roos-like figure appointed at some stage as "Director of Coaching" or some such title but in reality he would be a full time mentor for BB. Whether BB would cop that is open to question of course.

Director of Coaching is one of my pet hates, its just another way of saying we dont have complete faith in the coach and we need someone to hold his hand IMHO......dont see Bolton wanting anyone mentoring or holding his hand after doing a apprenticeship with Clarkson...

Reply #17
Director of Coaching is one of my pet hates, its just another way of saying we dont have complete faith in the coach and we need someone to hold his hand IMHO......dont see Bolton wanting anyone mentoring or holding his hand after doing a apprenticeship with Clarkson...

See your point EB, but the board (and SOS for that matter) may well want to try and shore him up for a while since their own knackers would be on the line if BB is not seen as a success.

Reply #18
See your point EB, but the board (and SOS for that matter) may well want to try and shore him up for a while since their own knackers would be on the line if BB is not seen as a success.

Reckon if push came to shove, the SOS alliance would find a way of keeping their hands pretty clean.

Reply #19
Missing Neil Craig???

Reply #20

Thats a fair point Cookie, I guess I am angling more at there needs to be a fall guy and its not going to be SOS at this stage, 4 years of BB might be enough in the minds of some on the board
to justify replacing him if if we are going like we are going now...

Reply #21
Thats a fair point Cookie, I guess I am angling more at there needs to be a fall guy and its not going to be SOS at this stage, 4 years of BB might be enough in the minds of some on the board
to justify replacing him if if we are going like we are going now...

Could be and it's certainly going to be an interesting ride in 2018.

Reply #22
The choice is either stay the course or go back to the old "Carlton doesn't rebuild".

Apparently Carlton doesn't rebuild - at least not effectively, it seems.

Reply #23
I wasn't expecting a lot of wins this year, but the way we are capitulating without a fight is quite concerning.

The faithful will judge Bolton and the coaching group on the effort not the score sheet. If we continue to see no spirit Bolton will be gone.

We can address list deficiencies come free agency time but if the coaching group can't reach this group and fire them up then we have the wrong coaching staff.

Reply #25
I wasn't expecting a lot of wins this year, but the way we are capitulating without a fight is quite concerning.

The faithful will judge Bolton and the coaching group on the effort not the score sheet. If we continue to see no spirit Bolton will be gone.

We can address list deficiencies come free agency time but if the coaching group can't reach this group and fire them up then we have the wrong coaching staff.

Evev if BB does go we may well get someone who would be tasked with continuing the rebuild rather than reverting to a quick fix?

Reply #26
We're not there yet, but we sure are approaching the fork in the road - quick fix/change senior coach or stay the course.

Once BB has a healthier list to choose from (about 2-4 weeks away), and they play a few games together I suspect we'll know more - particularly unfair to assess him at the moment considering how ruptured the playing list is... and Kreuz and Kennedy playing injured and Weitering in the doldrums. We've got about 4-5 blokes carrying the whole side at the present.

But to think that SOS/Judge/Mangler Mathieson haven't cast an eye over how Ratts is doing, is P Roos up for another stint and/or the availability of their mate R Lyon, would be naive.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #27
We're not there yet, but we sure are approaching the fork in the road - quick fix/change senior coach or stay the course.

Once BB has a healthier list to choose from (about 2-4 weeks away), and they play a few games together I suspect we'll know more - particularly unfair to assess him at the moment considering how ruptured the playing list is... and Kreuz and Kennedy playing injured and Weitering in the doldrums. We've got about 4-5 blokes carrying the whole side at the present.

But to think that SOS/Judge/Mangler Mathieson haven't cast an eye over how Ratts is doing, is P Roos up for another stint and/or the availability of their mate R Lyon, would be naive.

You can add Andy Mac to that nest of vipers.

I've got the feeling over many years that Roos simply doesn't like Carlton, so I doubt he'd be keen. Plus I didn't really like his handling of being Melbourne coach - $1.5M per season with an "all care no responsibility" approach. That's probably not right, but that's the vibe I got. No thanks.

Lyon might be a fit, but if they're all mates, who takes the fall when the caca hits the fan ? Plus his record at Freo is blah, and seems destined to be a bridesmaid coach.

As for Ratts, I'd be insisting on a multi million dollar payout if things don't work out, with those blokes in charge. Plus I'm not sure he and SOS are all that friendly.

Reply #28
Evev if BB does go we may well get someone who would be tasked with continuing the rebuild rather than reverting to a quick fix?
Definitely. The question is whether Bolton and the coaching panel are the best to lead the rebuild and are leading the young group on the right path. There is no 'quick' fix but we may need a better development plan and match day strategy. One or two highly paid free agents to join the group in 2019 and lead them on the field won't hurt either.

Reply #29
Juddy on FC, pretty good performance, needs to take more of the media space because he has the respect!
The Force Awakens!