Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 5: Carlton vs Western BUlldogs (Read 27790 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 5: Carlton vs Western BUlldogs

Reply #75
Swap Gibbons with a creative, opportunistic Higgins (from Richmond) or Elliott (from the Filth) and I'll bet a couple of those hail marys are converted to goals.

I'll let you in on a secret, Bolton doesnt know this one either, keep it to yourself.
Ready, Gibbons is a midfielder, bet that surprised you?? won two Listons playing as a mid.....You thought he was a small forward and Brendon thinks he is a tall marking target.
I guess everyone is a tall marking target to Brendon though...

Gibbons did hit McGovern up though with a few passes didnt he?

Take your point on Higgins and Elliott, SOS did try for Lonie from Stkilda but alas he stayed put......Lebois, Garlett are a waste of list space and its shame Pickett cant stay on the park.
Fas has been disappointing and remains  injury prone so you could say its not for want of trying with SOS to find that small X factor forward.

Reply #76
I'll let you in on a secret, Bolton doesnt know this one either, keep it to yourself.
Ready, Gibbons is a midfielder, bet that surprised you?? won two Listons playing as a mid.....You thought he was a small forward and Brendon thinks he is a tall marking target.

Take your point on Higgins and Elliott, SOS did try for Lonie from Stkilda but alas he stayed put......Lebois, Garlett are a waste of list space and its shame Pickett cant stay on the park.
Fas has been disappointing and remains  injury prone so you could say its not for want of trying with SOS to find that small X factor forward.

Totally agree

Over coaching

Give the kid a go where he plays his best footy.

Mid field is made for blokes that have to work hard, not get dropped off in limos

Reply #77

;D

God only knows how LeBois stayed on the list during the last cull....

Pickett's injury is a 4-6 monther - he could well be back in some low level training by now - but clearly behind the 8 ball for this season.

Garlett? Played back in the 1s, forward in the 2s - yeah, that gives the bloke a fair chance! To me, he's a winger/forward.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #78

Gibbins is definately a midfielder. That's where he should be played.

We haven't got an AFL class small forward. Along with a ruckman that's where our next recruiting drive should be aimed.
I agree, Le Bois, Garlett and Pickett should be gone next year.

A fit Fasolo would be handy. Lets hope he comes good very soon.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #79
Bruce finished his playing career with Hawthorn (not renowned for recruiting flaky players) and went on to an assistant coaching role there. Yet another Hawthorn product on our books.

Apart from some disposal issues (and poor decision making by some of the youngsters - and that’s more of a development issue), the midfield is doing OK.

The Golden Child, aka David Teague, seems to be the assistant coach with the most work to do.

The most important Hawthorn product in our club is crap as 3 wins from 36 testifies.

Be a nightmare being a forward coach at Carlton. How do you coach to that lottery coming into the F50. Teague's been very good at every other club. He's the one reason McGovern is here after working with him in Adelaide. If a good player says he's here because of Teague then that's a fair reference. Remembering too the absolutely outstanding job he did getting an average Northern Bullants side to consecutive Grand Finals. I suggest the midfield coach might be the one who has the work to do. After all our midfield movement is horrible. Probably work better if we had a decent head coach.

Reply #80
The most important Hawthorn product in our club is crap as 3 wins from 36 testifies.

Be a nightmare being a forward coach at Carlton. How do you coach to that lottery coming into the F50. Teague's been very good at every other club. He's the one reason McGovern is here after working with him in Adelaide. If a good player says he's here because of Teague then that's a fair reference. Remembering too the absolutely outstanding job he did getting an average Northern Bullants side to consecutive Grand Finals. I suggest the midfield coach might be the one who has the work to do. After all our midfield movement is horrible. Probably work better if we had a decent head coach.

Our team is far from perfect anyway, but I agree that fixing the midfield is the most urgent issue. We have brought in some good young talent but they seem to be lacking the overall culture/guidance in which to develop to AFL level requirements. Crippa is fighting a lone on field battle there and we need to fix that urgently.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #81
Gibbins is definately a midfielder. That's where he should be played.

We haven't got an AFL class small forward. Along with a ruckman that's where our next recruiting drive should be aimed.
I agree, Le Bois, Garlett and Pickett should be gone next year.

A fit Fasolo would be handy. Lets hope he comes good very soon.

No way will Pickett be chopped.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #82
Our team is far from perfect anyway, but I agree that fixing the midfield is the most urgent issue. We have brought in some good young talent but they seem to be lacking the overall culture/guidance in which to develop to AFL level requirements. Crippa is fighting a lone on field battle there and we need to fix that urgently.

And Crippa figured it out for himself seemingly!!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #83
And Crippa figured it out for himself seemingly!!

Yep. He is exceptional and definitely has the warrior genes! Unfortunately not many around like him - Sam Walsh looks promising but early days for him.

Reply #84
Yep. He is exceptional and definitely has the warrior genes! Unfortunately not many around like him - Sam Walsh looks promising but early days for him.

We ask too much of Cripps.

He is already an inside warrior, now we want him to be an outside racehorse, a technician and a marksmen. It'll break him if we keep up that level of expectation and then he'll be lost to us!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #85
We ask too much of Cripps.

He is already an inside warrior, now we want him to be an outside racehorse, a technician and a marksmen. It'll break him if we keep up that level of expectation and then he'll be lost to us!

Without doubt.

Reply #86

I fully understand he is a mid and should be given a crack in there. It must be that he has been asked to play a roll fwd as there have been no other options. Polson? Fail. Fas? Fail to date. Swap Murphy and Gibbons maybe and see how we go.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #87
I fully understand he is a mid and should be given a crack in there. It must be that he has been asked to play a roll fwd as there have been no other options. Polson? Fail. Fas? Fail to date. Swap Murphy and Gibbons maybe and see how we go.

IMO we should not be weakening our midfield at all in a quest to find what would likely be a suboptimal SF.

Reply #88

You can’t seriously think that our forward line is functioning well!

The talls rarely provide effective leads and often end up competing for the same space.  The small forwards aren’t crumbing and they are certainly not providing adequate defensive pressure.

Losing Charlie and the Gov for periods hasn’t helped but Teague still has a lot of talent to work with.  He needs to sort out running patterns and make sure that he and Bruce are on the same page for delivery to the forwards and locking the ball inside 50.

What Teague may have achieved in the past is irrelevant. It’s what he does with our forward line now that is critical.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #89
We move the ball to slow and the few times we do move it quick on a break our forwards are in the defensive half of the ground.

The problem is the game plan or the player can't carry out the game plan, either way it's all on Bolton. 
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!