Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 5: Carlton vs Western BUlldogs (Read 27449 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 5: Carlton vs Western BUlldogs

Reply #45
McGovern's second quarter on the weekend was elite, but he was unsighted for the other 3 quarters

Our other tall marking target  :)  in Gibbons seemed to be main man and our real tall forwards seemed up the field or out of position.....its bizarre how we lose games
or change winning formulas. McGovern was on that game and should have been fed the ball and space provided for him to work in, he is a reliable kick and
can work an opponent especially newbies like GC had down back.

Reply #46
Which coach would not be pencilling in a win against us?  We are almost on a par with last year.

Worsfold...lol.

Reply #47
Our other tall marking target  :)  in Gibbons seemed to be main man and our real tall forwards seemed up the field or out of position.....its bizarre how we lose games
or change winning formulas. McGovern was on that game and should have been fed the ball and space provided for him to work in, he is a reliable kick and

Agreed EB, the Gov would/could have kicked 10 if he was given some space (by his own team mates) and the ball was directed to him frequently....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #48

The problem is EB1 they structure up off each other, so when you get kids like McKay and Charlie out of sorts they end up out of position leading towards the ball carrier, and it forks everybody up!

It's been that way three rounds in a row now, some with and some without Casboult, having the three talls is not working! It's not the same as having two rucks with one floating forward out of the midfield. The fact the rucks aren't really moving just zoning makes a huge difference, they don't drag defenders into a team-mates space!

Even so with our decision making I'm not sure what to think. Watch the replay, you see our mids and HBs kick the ball to the center of a three opponents zone, right over the top of a Carlton three forward zone. FFS, if McKay, Charlie and McGovern are in a triangle with clear space in between put the forking football in the middle of them, stop kicking it onto heads surrounded by defenders!

I'd start dragging blokes whenever they "kick at the player", they've got to start getting the message somehow!

If you want to kick on somebodies head, kick it on the head of the bloke dropping in front of McGovern or McKay and tell them to have no mercy!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #49
Change a winning formula or poor positioning by Gov CC and H? They showed vision last night of all three of them leading and moving to the wrong spots. I wont believe for a minute that they were under instruction to leave Gibbons one out in the fwd line. To me, its key fwds pushing up the ground then not working hard enough to get back. Gov did go off with an ankle injury for abit so maybe he was restricted. Buggered if I know the players need to work each other out pronto.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #50
In any case, the GC game was soul destroying. It will be interesting to see how they (Players and coaching staff) respond this week.
For mine
Ins Kreuzer SOS and Kennedy
Outs Setterfield Casboult Gibbons
I'd give Dow one more week to clean up his disposal or its NB time for him also.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #51

Teague is the forward coach. I would have thought he would have more control over the way the forwards are playing.
I don't think BB is solely responsible for the way the team is playing.

I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #52
Teague is the forward coach. I would have thought he would have more control over the way the forwards are playing.
I don't think BB is solely responsible for the way the team is playing.

There is enough evidence to suggest that the midfield and forward disconnect is a bigger issue than anything else at the moment.

The way individuals are playing is good enough.  The way the midfield works defensively is good enough.

The way the forward line is moving (in the first couple of games, our smalls were getting to the ball drop of our talls well enough to suggest we are doing something here, and lets face it, we have made some changes to the lines enough to cause us some issues).

That means that experience of game situations and time is going to be a better help than anything else.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #53
That means that experience of game situations and time is going to be a better help than anything else.

Yes, and the irony for Bolton may be that they reach that critical threshold after he's had his papers stamped!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54
There is enough evidence to suggest that the midfield and forward disconnect is a bigger issue than anything else at the moment.

The way individuals are playing is good enough.  The way the midfield works defensively is good enough.

The way the forward line is moving (in the first couple of games, our smalls were getting to the ball drop of our talls well enough to suggest we are doing something here, and lets face it, we have made some changes to the lines enough to cause us some issues).

Not sure our midfield does much defensively...either down back or picking up their opponents. You look at the opposing teams mids and they all seem to get plenty of the footy and are running loose.
I think our defense has been good but its been held together by Jones and Weitering doing their job and carrying the others....

Reply #55
Not sure our midfield does much defensively...either down back or picking up their opponents. You look at the opposing teams mids and they all seem to get plenty of the footy and are running loose.
I think our defense has been good but its been held together by Jones and Weitering doing their job and carrying the others....

Those two, Jones and Weitering, have hardly polled an AFLCA vote between them!

Yet many on here would have them high in the B&F progressive vote, it borders on bizarre how differently people on the inside see the game.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #56

Amen, our midfielders are very lazy defensively - that said,with most of the multiple cheap turnovers we create, what chance do they have...?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #57
We waste so much energy. When we get the ball,  player movement is such that they are expecting the next possession to be to the team's advantage.   When the handball is at the feet, or a 20m kick misses by 5 metres, it stuffs it all up.  Players keep having to go in for second,  third efforts or try to get the ball back.   Tiring stuff.  As another post in a different thread suggested, if you have run 100+ m for possession and it's turned over, it is a long way back if you're already a bit tired.

Reply #58
We waste so much energy. When we get the ball,  player movement is such that they are expecting the next possession to be to the team's advantage.   When the handball is at the feet, or a 20m kick misses by 5 metres, it stuffs it all up.  Players keep having to go in for second,  third efforts or try to get the ball back.   Tiring stuff.  As another post in a different thread suggested, if you have run 100+ m for possession and it's turned over, it is a long way back if you're already a bit tired.

Yep, it's inefficiency and some.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #59
The problem is EB1 they structure up off each other, so when you get kids like McKay and Charlie out of sorts they end up out of position leading towards the ball carrier, and it forks everybody up!

It's been that way three rounds in a row now, some with and some without Casboult, having the three talls is not working! It's not the same as having two rucks with one floating forward out of the midfield. The fact the rucks aren't really moving just zoning makes a huge difference, they don't drag defenders into a team-mates space!

Even so with our decision making I'm not sure what to think. Watch the replay, you see our mids and HBs kick the ball to the center of a three opponents zone, right over the top of a Carlton three forward zone. FFS, if McKay, Charlie and McGovern are in a triangle with clear space in between put the forking football in the middle of them, stop kicking it onto heads surrounded by defenders!

I'd start dragging blokes whenever they "kick at the player", they've got to start getting the message somehow!

If you want to kick on somebodies head, kick it on the head of the bloke dropping in front of McGovern or McKay and tell them to have no mercy!

The issue we've got right now we've had for a very long time. As soon as we cross the centre with the ball in hand the players' brains go into neutral. I don't like our forward structure - we never seem to be able to get short passes to a teammate inside 50. It is always long bombs where we rely on a contested mark or a crumbing goal. Both are rare.

Even when we do have the easiest of easy opportunities finally present itself - Dow finds a way to kick it 5m over Gov's head from a 15m pass.

Our use of the ball has been an issue on this scale for the past 3 coaches so I'm not sure how to fix it at this point. You can't just blame this coach or these players as it has been like this for so long.

How Cripps, under no pressure, having taken a mark could possibly choose to spear a long bomb at Gibbons in the last quarter will forever go down as one of the most difficult decisions to get my head around ever.