Skip to main content
Topic: R6 - Blues vs Eagles (post match party) (Read 62502 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R6 - Blues vs Eagles (post match party)

Reply #120
We should be 4-2 no doubting that. Even the Port game with 3 tackles in the last quarter FML. At least we now have some hope which is all a supporter can ask for.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #121
What has changed though? This was not us a few years back, the list really hasn't changed that much.

We have had more time to closely scrutinise the players, that's the big difference. We are expecting improvement over a handful of years yet our players keep making the same mistakes and have plateaued in their development.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #122
We should be 4-2 no doubting that. Even the Port game with 3 tackles in the last quarter FML. At least we now have some hope which is all a supporter can ask for.

Hope is a great thing when supporting footy teams.

I hope that we put some serious things in place for next season as this season is gone, if you're not in the hunt for top 4 then it's a development year.

I hope that we get games into our young guys and that makes them hungry for more next season.

I hope that the club starts to show strong leadership off the field and trades, delists and recruits strongly.

I hope we beat Collingwood on Friday! >:D

Reply #123
Been a big critic but very very proud of the Skipper and Robbo. As for Jeffy and SOJ, I got a stiffy,
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Seriously the appetite for the footy those two showed last night was incredible. Ferocious and dare I say it, a little bit of Ruthlessness.
I agree with you mate! I lolled pretty hard at the stiffy part ;D

Reply #124
Been a big critic but very very proud of the Skipper and Robbo. As for Jeffy and SOJ, I got a stiffy,
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Seriously the appetite for the footy those two showed last night was incredible. Ferocious and dare I say it, a little bit of Ruthlessness.
I agree with you mate! I lolled pretty hard at the stiffy part ;D

Cautiously... that's what I got from the win this week and last. It's growing. Look at the blokes who stood up at the death - fantastic to see kids like Menzel and SOJ take it upon themselves to grab a hold of the game in real heat. Ditto Jeffy and the Skipper. 206s effort, against huge odds, saw him take another step forward.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #125
At the end of the day it's our recruitment that's murdered us.  We've all stopped speaking about Bootsma as a possible defender because deep down we all know he ain't going to make it.  And yet he was a first round draft pick.

I also think that Watson would be better as forward, but not much better.  And given he's a first round draft pick, we should be expecting more.

Lucas is the best of that rubbish bunch.  He's not bad and there's a 200 gamer somewhere hiding inside him.  But I'm not convinced he will ever be consistent enough.

Under MM I think we've recruited better.  But time will tell.  The point is, if our list is shaky it's because our recruitment has been a joke.

Reply #126
The Eagles are only just going and let's be honest, they outplayed us for most of the game.

I felt that we controlled the first half and they controlled the 2nd half. Both sides kicked goals against the tide and we came out on top.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #127
What has changed though? This was not us a few years back, the list really hasn't changed that much.

We have had more time to closely scrutinise the players, that's the big difference. We are expecting improvement over a handful of years yet our players keep making the same mistakes and have plateaued in their development.

I don't think we were making the same disposal errors a few years back.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #128
I thought Rowe and White were quite good down back last night. Rowe in particular looking more at home with his role in defence as a key tall.

IMO, MM will build around some secure big blokes. More runners/mids/flankers will be brought into the club with better skills, particularly by foot.

Reply #129
I think Menzel is on his way to becoming my favourite player. Watching him live you can just tell he is a class above and would easily get a game for the Hawks or Cats.

Buckley again showed he has it what it takes and always takes the game on even when its on the line. One of the few that actually wants it.

Hendo also looks like he is getting some momentum now as a forward, Rowe also keeps keeping on but still not sure on that one.

Reply #130
All that said, I also think that there's only four genuinely good teams in the competition at the moment.  Hawthorn, Geelong, Port and as much as it pains me, the Filth.

Essendon who all the pundits were crowing about haven't won a game since they gave us a flogging.  They suffer a couple of injuries and they fall apart.

Sydney might come good when Reid and Tippett return, but at the monent they seem to be falling into wins and don't inspire confidence.

North is a more inconsistent side then we are.  And yet they beat Freo at Pattersons.  Which just goes to show how overrated Freo is.

Gold Coast will win a good chunk of their games at Metricon and therefore might make the 8.  They have talent and Ablett is a God.  But at the moment still a few years away from being a genuine contender.

Tigers - a team consisting mostly of spuds.  Only their supporters think their a chance this year.

Adelaide our a workhorse team that will be better when Walker comes back, but they don't inspire either.

GWS, Bulldogs and the Saints will all fall back to the pack.  And the Weagles showed how mentally fragile they are.

The point I'm making is that while were definitely no champions, far from it, we're not alone.  If we keep racking up 70 odd tackles a game and play hard, run on football, and look like we give a cr@p, then we can match it with the above.  Even with our list.

Reply #131
At the end of the day it's our recruitment that's murdered us.  We've all stopped speaking about Bootsma as a possible defender because deep down we all know he ain't going to make it.  And yet he was a first round draft pick.

I also think that Watson would be better as forward, but not much better.  And given he's a first round draft pick, we should be expecting more.

Lucas is the best of that rubbish bunch.  He's not bad and there's a 200 gamer somewhere hiding inside him.  But I'm not convinced he will ever be consistent enough.

Under MM I think we've recruited better.  But time will tell.  The point is, if our list is shaky it's because our recruitment has been a joke.

Yep, spot on. Bootsma, Lucas and Blockhead Watson. All just dismal fails. I used to pay out on Ratts for not playing Lucas but it's quite easy to see why. Imagine we had picked up three gems instead? Darling, Talia and Brad Hill.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #132

Yep, spot on. Bootsma, Lucas and Blockhead Watson. All just dismal fails. I used to pay out on Ratts for not playing Lucas but it's quite easy to see why. Imagine we had picked up three gems instead? Darling, Talia and Brad Hill.

I mean you can say that hindsight is 20/20 and all that jazz, but since 2009 not a single player selected in our draft picks (not rookie) has made it.  Obviously I have high hopes for Buckley who came in the crap show that is the 2011 draft, but fug me... if there was a spud to sniff out we found him.

Reply #133

North is a more inconsistent side then we are.  And yet they beat Freo at Pattersons.  Which just goes to show how overrated Freo is.

I don't think Freo are over rated, I think North is under rated.
I doubt they'll be top four but they beat Freo without their Captain (Swallow) and the players that tied in last year's B&F (Thompson and Wells).
It was a very good win, and they have some very good up and comers.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #134
Not much to add - everyone has pretty much covered it.

Great win by the boys. Very happy for them.

Could've so easily gone the other way. We've possibly used up our season's quota of get-out-of-jail-free cards in one game.