Skip to main content
Topic: 2015-Rnd 2 West Coast vs Carlton (Read 69958 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2015-Rnd 2 West Coast vs Carlton

Reply #150
We are fecking crazy, up to 25mm of rain, high winds and flooding predicted for Perth region over the next 24hrs and we going taller than last week!

The Force Awakens!

Reply #151
Hate it when they drop a kid after one game so playing Smith is good development IMO and I like the way he approaches his footy even though he was off the pace of the game last week, but the only way to learn is by playing seniors...

Casboult and Tutt as ins doesnt fill me with great confidence especially Casboult being so out of form but Wood would be knackered if he had to ruck all game vs NitWit and Lycett so the change had to be made. Tutt makes us look better balanced if he plays forward and  makes us more mobile at ground level.
Everitt needs to do more this week and I would have Carrazzo on Priddis as Curnow has been towelled up every time by the now Brownlow medallist....
Bit of attention needs paying to Lecras who is one of those difficult matchups due to his overhead  marking coupled with his ground play...

Reply #152
Wow Priddis will kill us in the rain.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #153
Sorry, but this part of your analysis I disagree with completely. The main reason other teams are able to string together posessions is that they work hard. Just watch our guys in the first quarter on the weekend and see how hard they run in attack. running past the player who has taken a mark, running into space, running to create an open target. It's exactly the way the better teams play. You cannot create uncontested posession unless you work hard off the ball. Similarly, if in defence you don't work hard off the ball, then your opponent gets a free posession.

I was going to say the exact same thing. Now that you have worded it so well, I need to add nothing. We did run hard in the first quarter and presented on a lead very often. Hence opportunities to score. Once we stopped working hard off the ball, we bombed it forward and turned the ball over. Our tackles were very poor. Even Judd let McIntosh cruise past him for a goal at one stage, and put no effort into stopping him. Even the commentators noticed this and made a comment. This continued in the last 3 quarters. We didn't try to run hard back into defence on a turn over at all. Just couldn't be bothered.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #154
Weagles line up:

B: Elliot Yeo,   Jeremy McGovern,   Jamie Bennell
HB: Shannon Hurn,   Will Schofield,   Brad Sheppard
C: Andrew Gaff,   Matt Priddis,   Matt Rosa.
HF: Chris Masten,   Josh Kennedy,   Sharrod Wellingham.
F: Jamie Cripps,   Scott Lycett,   Patrick McGinnity.
Fol: Nic Naitanui,   Mark LeCras,   Luke Shuey.
I/C: Liam Duggan,   Jackson Nelson,   Dom Sheed,   Simon Tunbridge
Emg: Brant Colledge,   Josh Hill,  Kane Lucas

In:  Jamie Bennell,   Will Schofield,  Liam Duggan,   Simon Tunbridge
Out  Scott Selwood (Ankle),  Mitchell Brown (Knee),  Sam Butler (Adductor),   Tom Lamb (Omitted)

New: Liam Duggan

The Weagles' back line looks dubious, but our lack of forwards and the rain will probably take that advantage from us.
The Weagles' ruck combo looks dangerous and we have struggled to squash Matt Priddis, Luke Shuey and Andrew Gaff in recent times.
It would be embarrassing if Lucas played and they won.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #155
Why?

...for Smith?

Nobody there has shown more than any of the other 21 blokes in the side so far.

If its for Smith, then i think you would be doing more damage by dropping him after 1 game.

Surely lightning couldn't strike twice re early injuries.

You obviously didn't read my post about Smith's retention  ;)

I'd prefer the pace of Armfield, the run and hardness of Byrne, or the defensive pressure in the forward 50 provided by Ellard to a top heavy forward line (particularly in the wet), an out of form Tuohy and an unconvincing Tutt.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #156
Its not too important who we play in the squad. If we play 3 quarters of footy as we did against the Tigers, we will get completely smashed. West Coast are off a loss and back at home. They have a point to prove. Being the fact that there could be rain will help us as West Coast will score less and beat us by a smaller margin IMO. I hope Nic Nat doesn't drill us a new one.

There defence looks shallow with a couple out. Maybe that is a chance we must try taking advantage of.

Reply #157
There defence looks shallow with a couple out. Maybe that is a chance we must try taking advantage of.

We will need a functioning, balanced forward line to do that Mantis.

I'd play Yarran, Henderson, White, Menzel, Casboult and Ellard as our starting forward six.

But you're right about playing 4 quarters of good footy (Although I thought our last quarter wasn't all that bad.  Not good mind you, just not too bad).
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #158
That is probably a starting 6 in the forward line that could work. 2 decent talls, Menzel and Yarran are mobile forwards with pace, and White along with Ellard have a defencive game. White is a useful marking option.

Reply #159
Like that Smith has been retained. He did ok for a first year player, and certainly was on the ground much sooner than hoped. Giving him a 2 or 3 game opportunity is the right thing to do.  He can then go back to the seconds with a clearer understanding of what is required to develop.

I also like that the changes made are the result of injury, not chucking out the baby and bathwater.. Making 4 or 5 changes after round one indicates something pretty wrong and can do more harm than good. We were not thrashed by Richmond so we reload and go again.  The players have to step up so they get the chance to do so.

The key is to get the ball on the outside that allows for cleaner delivery forward.  This means making opportunity for tidier kicks from forward of centre rather than up and unders from half back, hoping they will get marked.  All of this will happen or not as a result of the midfield working hard enough, which was a big deficiency last week. 

Go Blues!

Reply #160
I would go see the doctor ASAP!

I'm scared what the prognosis will be...
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #161
We will win easy.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #163
We will win easy.

I think we will win...that WC bench is light on for experience, like Selwood being out too as that will make life easier for Judd or Murphy...
15 points margin given it will rain ..probably one of the weakest WC teams I have seen on paper...

Reply #164
I think we will win...that WC bench is light on for experience, like Selwood being out too as that will make life easier for Judd or Murphy...
15 points margin given it will rain ..probably one of the weakest WC teams I have seen on paper...

That's what convinced me in the end.

Their bottom 6 looks very suspect.

Yes, I know ours aint much chop either.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................