Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 5: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 49953 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 5: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #30
Kids ran out of gas and were ragdolled in the clinches....and that's physically demanding.

Yep and Port had the talent and maturity to really take advantage. If they had been more accurate this could have really blown out to a much more ugly result. Disappointing without doubt but not entirely unexpected. We have no choice but to soldier on with our development. We don't have the luxury of a lot of significant mature talent, apart from Kreuzer maybe, to bring in, but I would definitely be looking at giving a rest to a couple though, maybe Cripps and Weitering. They both looked to be struggling to me and we don't want to burn them up.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #31
And so it begins, so predictable.

Not even 1hr after the final siren we are front page in The Hun!

Fans slam AFL’s decision to fixture Carlton on Friday night after blowout against Port Adelaide

Herald Sun 22 minutes ago

THE AFL’s fixturing for Friday night matches is back on the agenda after a blowout at Adelaide Oval that saw Port Adelaide thump Carlton.

The Blues were a major disappointment as they fielded a young team that was no match for the Power, with the game effectively over five minutes into the third term.

Carlton was blown away in that quarter, failing to register a possession inside 50 from just two entries, while Port Adelaide had 16 scoring shots to blow the lead out to 79 points at the final break.

With two NRL matches and the start of the A-League finals to compete with, some footy fans took to social media to declare they’d switched off the AFL in favour of a more competitive and thus entertaining match.

Follow
Matt @Mattys123
Two NRL thrillers and the A League first final goes to extra time. Yep. If you are still watching the AFL tonight, you're doing it wrong
9:52 PM - 21 Apr 2017
Retweets   5 5 likes

This year the AFL has tried to fixture the better performing teams of recent seasons in the marquee slot after the league was criticised for scheduling big but underperforming clubs on Friday nights, which resulted in a poor spectacle.

The good news is fans won’t see Carlton on a Friday night again this year.

Reigning premiers Western Bulldogs have eight Friday night matches this year but winless Sydney also has eight games in the marquee slot.

Next week Friday night footy should produce a better contest between the Bulldogs and flag favourites the Giants, who will play their first ever Friday night game.

Follow
Aubrey Hamlett ???? @aubreyhamlett
What a woeful match of Friday night footy #AFLpowerblues
9:33 PM - 21 Apr 2017 · Melbourne, Victoria
Retweets   1 1 like
Follow

Mark Riley @MiSeRay
Worse game of Football I have watched all year. Definitely not worthy of a Friday Night game #AFLPowerBlues
9:33 PM - 21 Apr 2017
Retweets   likes
Follow

Damian Glass @DGlass_official
Can we not fixture Carlton on Friday night footy for at least the next three years? Ruined another night. #AFLPowerBlues
9:32 PM - 21 Apr 2017
9 9 Retweets   29 29 likes
Follow

Matt Bryant @MattBryant15
I hope the next time I see Carlton on Friday night, Channel 7 will be advertising the 2020 Olympics is only weeks away. #AFLPowerBlues
10:16 PM - 21 Apr 2017
Retweets   1 1 like
1h

Channel 7 ✔ @Channel7
Can the Blues come from behind? LIVE on 7 and 7mate now...
Follow

Ray Cameron @bombersfan63
@Channel7 Friday night footy tonight is a flop ???? Sadly.#aflpowerblues
10:15 PM - 21 Apr 2017
1 1 Retweet   likes
Follow

Anthony Kernich @AntJKernich
why did the AFL let a train wreck into Friday Night #aflpowerblues #afl
10:10 PM - 21 Apr 2017
Retweets   likes
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
The stats are flawed. Docherty, Simpson, Gibbs and Murphy were all well beaten today.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #33
Green Shoots for Round 5:
- Polson's chase down tackle
- Another small bag to Levi
- SOS never stopped trying
- Charlie Curnow prob showed his best stuff so far, particularly in the 1st half
- Cripps return to decent form
- Charlie Dixon kept quiet
- We didn't lay down in the last term
- With 10 players 21 and under, we were never going to go anywhere near a win.
-------------------------------
Unfortunately, we will always get cut apart by our opponents because we don't make them pay on the scoreboard when we should, and our skills are pathetic and we all too often turn the ball over to them.
Our supposed senior leaders always were and always will be 'downhill skiers'. Again for the second week in a row, they were invisible in the 3rd term when we were crying out for leadership.

Reply #34
The stats are flawed. Docherty, Simpson, Gibbs and Murphy were all well beaten today.

Even so they were clearly among our best!

We had zero winners, even Cripps was just a break even with Wines.

Stats wise, Rowe came last but was probably our BOG!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
The stat sheet really doesn't capture the quality of performances tonight.

Not saying the kids were great, but they're inexperienced and still developing. That's what they'll play like when too many play together and senior players aren't standing up.
Totally agree. With our senior guys well beaten the kids are effectively thrown to the sharks.

Reply #36
Go on....easily the best young player. Easily.

Marked and linked play. Looked pretty good to me, not sure what you saw though?

Looked clean apart from one fumble in the first and I'd go so far as to suggest our best player. Cripps was poo.
Immense?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #37
Yep and Port had the talent and maturity to really take advantage. If they had been more accurate this could have really blown out to a much more ugly result. Disappointing without doubt but not entirely unexpected. We have no choice but to soldier on with our development. We don't have the luxury of a lot of significant mature talent, apart from Kreuzer maybe, to bring in, but I would definitely be looking at giving a rest to a couple though, maybe Cripps and Weitering. They both looked to be struggling to me and we don't want to burn them up.

Bit late for Cripps, had the warnings signs last season he was banged up and needed resting and he looks sore and not moving freely, we needed to recruit a couple of bigger mids
to help him out...thats a no brainer and I'd have to say even though SOS drafted well last draft he missed adding those types and we are paying for it now...

Jones or Jaksch or both need to play this week as well to give us an extra tall....

Reply #38
Totally agree. With our senior guys well beaten the kids are effectively thrown to the sharks.

With the kids not really competitive or contributing the senior players get run into the ground! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #39
Always painful to get a flogging. My sympathy goes to my fellow Bagger's :'(

It wasn't too unexpected. I'll confess I tipped Port :-[ hate tipping against us, but there's a realist tucked inside too.

We all know these types of results will occur on the rebuild. That said, again some of our seniors were patchy, and we just can't afford that.

Hats off to Casboult. He worked his butt off for four quarters.
The Plow stepped up beyond his level of experience. Ditto Marchbank. Sam Rowe again held up the big monster without racking up stats. We struggled in the middle. Gibbs was picky, Murphy looked hurt, and Crippa is a ripper. But he's just one man.

Little Zac, McCreadie, Williamson, Sammo, and Pickett continue to show something. I can see Sammo soaking it all in. Looks like he's AFL tuning his visio-spacial skills. When tuned, he'll have a breakout game. Exciting.

Of the kids, I thought Charlie had his best game. Looks like his endurance is developing (perhaps he was battling residual GF issues). What was most impressive is his attack on the game despite a dreadful scoreline. Suggests his mental strength is coming on.

Not my favorite Blues moment, although not unexpected. There will be much to be gained from a big interstate loss for this young side. All rebuilding teams have been here. Not pretty but par for the course. This group will bond in victory and in struggle.

Well bluebaggers, take a deep breath. Enjoy the rest of the weekend ^-^
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #40
Gibbs must be traded/....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #41
With the kids not really competitive or contributing the senior players get run into the ground! ;)

You mean exhausting themselves running both ways?  ;)

Reply #42
With you Fly, for a 200 game player he has too many nothing games, was invisible today.  Goal kicking unreliable, panics with the ball, coughs it up under pressure, can't spread...confidence looks shot. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #43
Gibbs must be traded/....
Agreed. We may not get the deal we want this year if he keeps playing like that. But we may as well offload him to make salary cap space and go after some free agents like Fyfe and dusty who will actually play hard and not let the opposition rough up Cripps every week.

Reply #44
Green Shoots for Round 5:
- Polson's chase down tackle
That was good. Polson didn't have a big night and didn't work hard enough negatively. However, he will get better. He has had a taste and he will be better for the experience.

- Another small bag to Levi
If would move the ball a bit better it could have been a big bag. Levi was our most dangerous forward by a long way.

- SOS never stopped trying
His work on the ground and his evasion skills are improving every week. He doesn't seem to have the belief in his marking or his set shots at the moment. And his reflexes will improve.

- Charlie Curnow prob showed his best stuff so far, particularly in the 1st half
By far his best game and the way he did it was really promising.

- Cripps return to decent form
A little closer to fitness than he was last week, but still not 100%. He will get better.

- Charlie Dixon kept quiet
An excellent job by our defenders. Rowe early was very good in keeping a dangerous forward quiet. Unfortunately they did find other avenues to goal. Grey killed us.

- We didn't lay down in the last term
Indeed.

- With 10 players 21 and under, we were never going to go anywhere near a win.
Probably true. I think a couple of them will be rested next week. We are a little too young. However, the other guys need to stand up.

-------------------------------
Unfortunately, we will always get cut apart by our opponents because we don't make them pay on the scoreboard when we should, and our skills are pathetic and we all too often turn the ball over to them.
Our supposed senior leaders always were and always will be 'downhill skiers'. Again for the second week in a row, they were invisible in the 3rd term when we were crying out for leadership.
I think you are bit harsh there. Gibbs and Murphy actually performed about as well as they could when we couldn't get first use. Mind you, they can do more, but they weren't missing, like they have been in the past.
I think the value of Kreuzer was very much on show tonight. He isn't the greatest ruckman, but his work rate and effort this year have often stymied 'better' opponents. Phillips couldn't stop Ryder at all and was out-bodied by smaller opponents. Half his taps went directly to Port players as well. Kreuzer would no have been beaten so comprehensively and would have allowed our mids to be more effective.
Live Long and Prosper!