Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 5: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 51241 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 5: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #60
Gibbs didn't even come off the ground after doing that, and got stuck in tackling and handballing at the next centre contest after putting his thumb back in.

I thought we missed Daisy a bit too tonight.

Wright played up the field in his absence which wasn't as effective and robbed our forwardline of a good goal sneak.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #61
You're trying to infer our senior players don't run both ways, but that is clearly not the case as it was the likes of Docherty, Gibbs, Murphy, Simpson, Rowe you saw working at both ends of the ground!

What you don't appreciate is the amount of extra work the senior players are doing to make up for the lack of awareness and positioning by the kids.

Despite a very few moments of interest, the kids tonight excluding C.Curnow were mostly made to look slow, ineffective and timid! They are children, and we are playing way too many of them.

During Bolts presser, when he said the team is picked on form, is clearly bullcrap! He's starting to spin as he sees his chance of being re-signed evaporating!

Rucci nearly asked the tough question but they cut him off, he was going to ask Bolts about the long term risk of playing too many kids and letting them get psychologically and physically smashed!

We are faced with the problem of having to blood young players into an environment where our existing senior group has not been successful for a number of years and there are good reasons for that, one oft touted on this forum is that they didn't run both ways. So now they have to maybe work a bit harder to assist in developing those youngsters. I don't like having to play so many youngsters but that imo is the result of years of poor list management. We have to try and move forward and playing the non strategic players is not the answer. GWS had to do it albeit with draft advantages but they did it. And btw, I have no real beef with Rowe or Simpson.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #62
Green Shoots for Round 5:
- Polson's chase down tackle
- Another small bag to Levi
- SOS never stopped trying
- Charlie Curnow prob showed his best stuff so far, particularly in the 1st half
- Cripps return to decent form
- Charlie Dixon kept quiet
- We didn't lay down in the last term
- With 10 players 21 and under, we were never going to go anywhere near a win.
-------------------------------
Unfortunately, we will always get cut apart by our opponents because we don't make them pay on the scoreboard when we should, and our skills are pathetic and we all too often turn the ball over to them.
Our supposed senior leaders always were and always will be 'downhill skiers'. Again for the second week in a row, they were invisible in the 3rd term when we were crying out for leadership.

I'm sick of this green shoots business. Firstly, why the hell are we playing 9 teenagers in round 5?  Are we tanking?  Do they not know that you can still make the 8?  Bolton and Co. have lost the plot... and possibly some of the players.  Marc Murphy 0 tackles.  I repeat, 0 tackles.  You are kidding me.  He is the captain, the least he can do is tackle.  Rowe 3 disposals. You are kidding me.   Weitering looks SHOT.  I am really unhappy about this.  He was doing perfectly fine down back until Bolton throws him up forward as a last stance effort to show we've got a forward.  Wrecking him.   SPS is good, and I think Marchbank is ok.  The rest very iffy.  Including Zac fisher who looked soft to me.  Again only managed to lay 1 tackle.   Edward Kernow is awful.  Gibbs is soft and I think Phillips looks like a hack.  Why wouldn't you play a guy like Nick Graham who gets the hard ball, plenty of touches as knows how to play AFL? Where is Kristian Jask?  What are they doing with Harry Mckay?  If you drafted Smedts and Palmer, Silvangni too as a hard body, then why not play them.

I don't understand it. Can someone please explain?

Reply #63

During Bolts presser, when he said the team is picked on form, is clearly bullcrap!......

I was disappointed by this as well. He seemed to contradict himself moments later.

Reply #64

Its funny, during Pagans era we had all these young #1 kids who were going to be our saviours. We also had Fevola. Plenty of hope and potential. Turned out not-so great in the long run.

All these young #1 kids ? We had 2. Krooz was drafted after Pagan was sacked.

Reply #65
Look, i can understand the impatience as we haven't had any real success in 15 years, but we are starting again.

I must admit i am a sore loser and as impatient as the next bloke but we need to give these guys time to develop.

Losing Kreuzer and Daisy really hurt.

MK is a bull in form that really adds that extra grunt mid to give Cripps, Murph and Gibbs a chop out.
Daisy even though he is grossly overpaid (not his fault), cant kick over a jam tin anymore, and lacks a yard of pace is still an experienced senior player who directs traffic and is only viewed by all us experts as a list clogger. His role in the team is important for the young blokes IMO. I hope they are both back in next week.

Polson, SPS, Pickett and Fisher all have elite speed and skill sets and will complement the bull Cripps in years to come.

Williamson is a jet. Could be anything but i think he will be another big quick mid once he builds his tank.

C. Curnow had 19 touches and 8 marks. Impressed with his game (his 10th) just in case anyone forgot.

Marchbank, Plowman and Macreadie and Docherty form the nucleus of a superior backline for 10+ years.

Matty Wright. Will probably play another 5 years with us but i'd love to see him back to his old role of high half forward. Played on a wing because Daisy was out.

My god if Weitering got some decent F50 entries he would be clunking a few but our mids are moving it too damn slow allowing defensive structures to be set up in our F50. If he was getting some decent delivery he could kick 40 goals plus. But it takes time.

We need to be patient as much as it hurts watching us get pantsed, we really need this new young brigade to play 50 games together as a unit. Then things will start to happen.

This is our first true re-build in how long?? This is a new Carlton and we are going to experience many ups and downs.

Buckle up your seat belts and enjoy the ride people.

Reply #66
It shames me to say, but we were Hawthorn-like last night.

Reply #67
@ Blue Avenger

Excellent post. We must hold our nerve.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #68
Well he was probs our best player, let's pick apart little words then shall we. He was solid and looked composed for four quarters. Strong hands, good skills.

ffs ????
Dunno what game you watched but he was not our best player.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #69
Dunno what game you watched but he was not our best player.

Same one as you I assume. Don't take a cheap shot without putting your cards on the table.

Reply #70
Gibbs must be traded/....
I think I agree with this now. He offers no leadership, cant help "stop the the rot" in a game like last night. Basically he is a downhill skier, would be good in a top line side but useless for us. For someone on his coin and with his experience, I expect a lot more when the chips are down. Oooooo, he popped his thumb back in a soldiered on, whoppy feckin do.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #71
Same one as you I assume. Don't take a cheap shot without putting your cards on the table.
You dont think Cripps was better? I'd say he was close to immense playing under duress and gathering nearly 40 touches. How about Marchbank, Rowe, Plowman? Rowe kept Dixon fairly quiet I thought.  Its not a cheap shot, I just think your putting a fair bit of mayo on the kids game. Yes it was better than what he has produced thus fair, I just wouldn't call it immense nor would I say he was our best. Apologies if I offended.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #72
I think Gibbs was okay, Murphy below average, Simpson poor and Docherty WOG.

Agree on Rowe, having a fine season in a tough position.
Agree on Doc, disagree on Gibbs, thought he was almost W.O.G. Turned it over too much for a bloke with his experience.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #73
You dont think Cripps was better? I'd say he was close to immense playing under duress and gathering nearly 40 touches. How about Marchbank, Rowe, Plowman? Rowe kept Dixon fairly quiet I thought.  Its not a cheap shot, I just think your putting a fair bit of mayo on the kids game. Yes it was better than what he has produced thus fair, I just wouldn't call it immense nor would I say he was our best. Apologies if I offended.

Like I said earlier I thought Cripps was no good, 30 odd possessions but effectiveness down and didn't hurt. I'm a bit worried about him. March bank I'll pay you, didn't think plowman was awesome.

Mayo possibly, but to me he genuinely look the most assured.

Reply #74
@BA
Terrific post. I'm also a sore loser but perspective is required at this stage. I really thought we would have done better than that and confident pre game. I still dont rate Port, they will be exposed when the whips start cracking dont worry about that, blokes like Gray, Wingard and even Wines go missing when things get hard. But well done to them, they did what they had to against us last night in the end.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th